how to prep

Options
Hello my question is how do I prep salad for a week?

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would only do it for a few days in advance if you're talking about leafy produce. Floppy salad ain't happy salad.

If it's cucumber, tomato, radish, onion, etc. I use a mandolin to slice it consistently and then either store it in an airtight tupper, ziplock bags or in plastic wrap. Keeps for a week easily.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I prep salad early in the morning, I can't eat it if it's 2 days old.
    Just cut up veggies and put them into baggies so you can just grab and go and add them to your salad.
    I also cut up lemons to take with me and squeeze it into my salad.
    The only dressing I use is salsa so much easier :)
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i used to cut the veggies on sunday for the entire week; celery, carrots, peppers. lettuce i would cut daily. i would store all the precut stuff in tupperwares. i eat salad every day for lunch, and would take 5 containers and put each days veggies in each container. then all i had to add was the lettuce and my lunch was done for the day. same with chicken, i would cut it up, but only two or three days worth. then i got lazy and now just buy bags of salad. sometimes i throw in my own veggies, but depending on the blend i buy, sometimes i don't need to. time vs money. and sometimes time wins.

on a side note, i would bbq a lot of my steak and chicken for the week on sundays too. then all i had to do was reheat it. saved a lot of time during the week when i had a ton of other stuff to do. easy to grab and go, plus i don't mind steak or chicken cold either, so i rarely even heated it up.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For salad greens, I like to chop and rinse them and then store then in a gallon sized zip lock type bag with a paper towel. I do the same for broccoli, except I don't cut it up that much.

I like Roma tomatoes because try are a good size for one salad. Same goes for mini cucumbers.

You can use baby food jars to hold dressing.

I cook chicken breast and freeze it in 3 oz serving size. That way I can just grab one and toss it in my husbands lunch bag. Tuna pouches are convenient too.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Get a salad spinner to get rid of the moisture after you wash your lettuce

tear it all up to bitesized pieces and put in a large zip lock bag (prefereably a vegetable one) with a piece of paper towel to absorb the moisture a bit.

cut up all your other veg - use grape or cherry tomatoes so you don't have to cut them up. put the veg in separate baggies or containers and make your salads for the next day or two - I wouldn't prep a whole weeks worth I find after a couple of days they don't taste as good or start to get kind of soft? - use spinach or mixed greens they are pre washed and ready to go.

I wouldn't put together an entire huge bowl and separate it into containers - as i said above it wouldn't be as good after a day or two.

you could also make bean salads they keep really well - just google for a recipe

you could make a greek salad without the lettuce just the other veggies cut bigger (they would marinate in the dressing) then when you want to eat it just make a bed of lettuce and use a slotted spoon to put the marinated veg on top and toss on your feta and olives

you could also make some other types of salads that keep longer using rice or quinoa?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Few days at a time is best with salad after that it spoils.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all. This are some great ideas.