The SCALE makes me so mad!

Options
I am ready to toss the scale out the window... for real! I can't believe how something so small can make you so mad... I was up early this morning and looking forward to the weekend, excited its Friday. I felt great, I'm coming off week #1 on MFP...3 pound weight loss and looking forward to another loss this Monday... I've calculated all my calories and have been eating 1200 all week, and even eating some of my cardio calories. I've gone to the gym 4 out of the last 5 days, including last night where I burned 575 calories on the elliptical. So, this morning I figured I would sneak a peak and see how well I'm doing.... that’s when I saw I was up .8!!! I don’t understand how that’s even possible, I've been drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day too. The only thing I can think is my meals included too much sodium yesterday and that could be why I had the slight gain? I'll post what I ate for you to give me your opinion. Hopefully, I still see my 1.5-2lb loss by Monday. Should I tuck my scale away and skip these mid week weigh in's and stick to once a week at the same time?

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions!

Breakfast: 1 pack of oatmeal
1 Clementine
Lunch: 1 McDonalds Chicken Fajita
1 Clementine
2 lint lindor Chocolates
Supper: 2 small Multigrain wraps, 3oz of ground beef mixed in taco seasoning, 1/3 cup of cheese.
Dessert: 5 cal jello with cool whip light on top
Snack: 1 bag of smartpop popcorn, 2 glasses of diet pepsi

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily. Due to sodium, water retention, gaining muscle, and other factors. I used to weigh myself every day because it was a bad habit. I got so fed up with it, I tossed my scale in the closet almost 3 weeks ago. I haven't weighed myself since and it's a great feeling!!! I don't plan on weighing myself for another week or 2.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The scale makes you mad because it is stupid. It can only tell you one thing: how much you weigh. But how much of what? Water? Food that hasn't been digested yet? Glycogen? Actual fat? who knows...not the scale.

Please read the article at the link below, and consider weighing a maximum of one time a week (in the same clothes, on the same scale, at the same time of day.) The article is called "why the scale lies".

http://www.skwigg.com/id12.html

:flowerforyou:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Your weight WILL fluctuate! Take this advice...for real:
    1. Hide the scale from yourself. Forget it even exists...
    2. Weigh in once or twice a month.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Keep on keepin' on and good luck!
  • kimberly428
    Options
    It fluctuates and if you worked out last night before bed your body holds on to.... something (sorry, coffee hasn't kicked in yet and I hope someone else can explain).
    You are doing great, enjoy the weekend!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Just get rid of that scale--use your clothes to determine how you are doing.

I am maintaining right now after losing weight last year. I didn't even own a scale when I first started in Aug 09, then finally after obviously losing weight based on the way my clothing fit, I felt I needed to benchmark the loss.

Well, I bought a scale that February and proceeded to get hung up on every number after that --probably for the next 7 months. Then finally with the help of some smart friends here on MFP I realized sticking that scale in the closet is the best thing. It has been over a month now and my head is so much more free.

And, when I was initially losing weight, not knowing the numbers but just feeling those jeans get looser and looser--that's really all the reward and motivation that you need. Not a number.....

Good luck with everything!
  • mrsrunnerchick
    Options
    Here's my suggestions:

1. If the scale stresses you out that much, don't get on it more than once a week. You shouldn't base your whole outlook of your day on the scale.

2. Increase your water intake. You could be retaining water.

3. Watch your intake of processed food if the scale doesn't budge over a few weeks.

4. You may need to eat more. You should be netting no less than 1200 calories a day. Whicch means if your eating 1200 and burning 500 on exercise, you are only netting 700 -- not enough.

Good luck!!!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was frustrated with the scale, too. Then I realized...I am doing everything right. I ate what I was supposed to, I worked out, drank my water, etc. There was no possible way I ate an excess of 3500 calories to gain that lb in ONE day! The next week I lost that lb again plus 3 more.

Lots of times when you change things, your body needs to adjust. Your muscles store water, etc. Don't be discouraged! Now, when I get on the scale and I notice it's up, it doesn't bother me because I know I did everything right and your body is still changing! Inches are coming off, your clothes will fit better, you will have more energy, more endurance. You can lift those extra few lbs when you're doing weight training, you can go that extra mile on the treadmill.

Don't be discouraged by a stupid scale. If you do what you need to do you will see the difference in you in every way that is important. That scale merely tells you a useless number; your body tells you everything you need to know.

I don't know about any one else but I feel much more victorious when I have a better workout and can do more than the week before than when I see that number on the scale on my Monday weigh-ins.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Your weight WILL fluctuate! Take this advice...for real:
    1. Hide the scale from yourself. Forget it even exists...
    2. Weigh in once or twice a month.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Keep on keepin' on and good luck!

This is EXCELLENT advice and something I have gone to doing. Weighing in once a week proves to be very frustrating for me as my weight goes up and down too much!! Great advice my friend!!
  • jenifer4
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! I'm getting rid of the scale tonight.. my mother actually said she is coming to get it before we to the gym tonight LOL.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale, too. I saw an 3 lb increase this week after doing everything "right" but it is gone now- I think it was water from increased sodium.
    Good idea to not get on the scale very often. It is so easy to be discouraged by the number we see...