Kale

Options
slr90
slr90 Posts: 212 Member
Just bought some green kale and looking for inspiration as to what to do with it? :)

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Look through the recent recipe posts.. Someone made kale chips.. Yum
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My favorite ways to eat kale are in soups and stews (like you'd use baby spinach, but add it a little sooner since it takes longer than spinach to cook), steamed or sauteed with lemon juice or tahini dressing on it, and raw as a salad. If you're going to eat a kale salad, add the dressing maybe half an hour before you want to eat it and mix it well, then let it sit. The dressing will soften the kale leaves.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    The non-dinosaur variety tastes really good raw mixed in with guamacole and olive oil. The curlier, drier, and smaller stemmed males have really good textures for salads.
  • drkim86
    Options
    I like to throw raw kale in salads. You can also bake them in the oven with a little olive oil and salt to make chips. Or chop them up and throw them in in your omelet. Today I chopped them up and added them into my turkey meatballs along with a few other veggies. So many ways!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I hide it in other things - soups, smoothies, etc - not a fan of it on its own
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use (or some kind of variation of it) for kale salad:
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search?q=kale++salad
    and I also use them in my morning smoothies with a few pieces of banana, berries, almond milk, and protein powder.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    In soups it works really well, like veggie and chicken soup. Just cut it in strips and let it simmer. Yummy.:drinker:
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are a must. I lightly coat with oil, sprinkle on salt, pepper, and garlic, and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. I also really like sauteing kale with onions, dried cranberries, and a touch of olive oil.
  • kb2699
    kb2699 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love making Autmn Pasta, it's yummy and very filling http://www.thefooddocs.com/autumn-pasta/ - If I have enough calories left I add in some reduced-fat feta cheese cut in to cubes right at the end.

If you like Chorizo it goes really well together with kale and some pasta (can you tell that I like pasta?!)

I haven't tried kale chips but have heard from a few people now that they're delicious so I will give those a go.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you go to the "search" and type in Kale, you'll find threads including kale. I posted a request for ways to use kale about a month or so ago and really received ALOT of neat recipes. I'm still working on them.

I will admit my favorite is kale chips, my second is sweet potatoes and kale salad.
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Baby kale is peppery and tasty in salads with lemony vinaigrette or for a caesar salad. The heavier stuff is great roasted in the oven with some olive oil and then folded into any number of things--soups, pasta dishes, etc. I especially love to roast it with other earthy ingredients like mushrooms and squash, plus lots of garlic, salt & pepper, lemon zest.

Love these recipes:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/kale-and-brussels-sprout-salad
    http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/kale-caeser/
    And I folded it (roasted) into this http://www.marthastewart.com/314073/rigatoni-with-roasted-pumpkin-and-goat-c?czone=food/produce-guide-cnt/produce-guide-fall&gallery=274288&slide=314073&center=?xsc=soc_pin_rigatoniwithroastedpumpkinandgoatcheese_08152013&276955&crlt.pid=camp.ct7jxPtIgy5w
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    look up the Dutch Meal Stampot. (sp?)

Mashed potatoes with steamed kale smashed into it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Even my kids love Kale "chips". I use olive oil spray versus pouring it on. Kale is awesome in soups because it doesn't wilt as much as spinach.
  • ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I forget what kind of kale I used, but I really love if it's just boiled, and then you take some thick crusty bread, toast it, add the kale (drained) with some sharp cheese melted on it, and a poached egg (or over easy if you're lazy like me). It's soooo good.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I get it home from the store, I cut the spines off and wash the leaves in a bowl of water. Then I let them dry for a few minutes and store them in a gallon bag with a paper towel. They last for about two weeks like this, if needed. This makes it easy to grab a handful and add it to all kinds of stuff.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like it braised. Pinterest has a ton of recipes.