Am I understanding this correctly?

Options
Hi, I just started and want to make sure I'm understanding the tools correctly. When I used the BMR calculator I got a daily value of about 1500 calories. But for my Goals give my net calories consumed goal as only 1200. I thought it was bad to eat under the BMR? With a 300cal/day exercise plan I assume I should be eating 1500 calories to meet my nutritional goals, but with the 1500 BMR should I actually be eating 1800? Or does the BMR calculator take that exercise into account?

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What did you set your weight loss rate at? With only 25 lbs. to lose according to your ticker, you probably want to lose between 1/2 and 1 lb. a week. This may increase the calories to over your BMR.

In general, they say that you should eat between your TDEE and BMR when you are losing, though this may differ for people with large amounts to lose.
  • Allouetta
    Allouetta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh that makes sense. I didn't think about the weekly goal being too high. When I dropped my weight loss goal to half a pound a week (before it was at 1.4lb/week which I suppose was too extreme), my net calories rose to 1600. At a pound/week it was 1400 net. So I'll try to stick around to 1500-1600 net. Just means I get to eat more! :laugh:

Thanks