BMR estimation help! (thought I had this sussed...)

Options
My scales have barely been moving for absolutely ages. I'm exercising (using my HRM), changing up what I'm doing regularly and am doing cardio and strength. I'm being completely honest about what I'm logging, and even if sometimes I go over my calories, over the course of the week I "should" be losing at least 1/2 a lb. My daily calories change each day, so even though I'm not formally cycling, I'm kind of doing it anyway.

I couldn't see where I was going wrong, until I saw that my body composition scales say my BMR is 1310, not the 1370 MFP says. So then I calculated it using the Katch-McCardle equation which uses your BF% here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#... and I got a BMR of 1285! Bah! That gives me maintenance calories of just 1543!!! Could this be where I'm going wrong? That I'm only at a 100-200 daily caloric deficit? I'm not sure which equation I should trust! Does anyone have any ideas? 1543 seems pretty low... but maybe that's what lots of people have? (FYI I'm 5'7", 126lbs, 26-27%BF)

Also, I exercise 6 times a week, burning 350-650 calories each time. When I'm calculating my TDEE I just write I'm sedentary (apart from the gym, I am pretty much) and then add my exercise cals on after. Is that right, or should I be putting active and subtracting my exercise cals? I thought maybe it's about metabolism or something... Does it even make a difference?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Replies

• kimberly428
    Options
    That does seem pretty high...mine is at 1282 but then again its from MFP AND when I start out I only get 1200 (not sure how that is figured out). SO....will no help here is a bump :P
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    1543 seems awfully low for a maintenance calorie number. My BMR (5'6"ish around 145 pounds, about 27 percent body fat, so kind of in your neighborhood) is 1600 according to a lab test. I lose body fat at a base of 1800 calories, plus most of my exercise calories. I'm finally losing inches again after a plateau of nearly a year eating a base (plus exercise) of 1500. So, for me, eating more = losing more.

Regretably, anything for BMR you find is an estimate. (there are lab tests that are a better measure, but they're difficult to find and expensive) The best way, IMHO, is to set the goal here at .5 pounds lost a week, and then adjust from there. It takes time, but this is just as much an art as a science. You have to find the formula that works best for you. If you're truly at 25%ish body fat, you need to feed your body, and develop an olympic calibre patience level.:flowerforyou:

Oh, and this post is most helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    1543 seems awfully low for a maintenance calorie number. My BMR (5'6"ish around 145 pounds, about 27 percent body fat, so kind of in your neighborhood) is 1600 according to a lab test. I lose body fat at a base of 1800 calories, plus most of my exercise calories. I'm finally losing inches again after a plateau of nearly a year eating a base (plus exercise) of 1500. So, for me, eating more = losing more.

This is ditto for me. I only seem to lose if I eat more. I seem to need to have between 1500 and 1800 cals with exercise.
  • legaleli
    Options
    You're 5'7" and 126lbs... that's really good. If you're healthy enough for cardio keep your calories the same and add a 300-400 deficit through exercise - In my not-so-humble opinion you are likely at the end of your weight loss and into the maintenance part of your diet regime. That is unless you're training to be "super-model" thin (yuk).