New guy here! needs some help

Options
Hello Everyone
My name is Nick and im 22 about to be 23 years old and im heaver now than ive ever been before! I just graduated from school and am currently planning a wedding, and I do not want to be this big in three months! During my career in college I was a starting offensive lineman at a larger school here in the south and because of my past you could say that I know how to eat and eat I did! Now that I am no longer required to be in the 300's its time to loose the extra baggage! Ive already dropped 20 pounds but not at the rate that I would have liked so I joined this page in hopes for some help and info. I am currently 285lbs at 6'2" and would love to one day see 220 again! However my goal for the wedding (May 25th) is 250. So i have a few questions for the experienced!

1) the weekly weight loss goal that the website has for me is not what i would have liked! i would like to shoot for -5lbs a week!
a) what should my daily calories look like
b) how many calories should I burn daily
c) why wont the exercise tab record calories burned for strength traning (if there is a way to calculate this how?)
d) what are some things to defiantly stay away from/

Thanks ahead if time!

Replies

• staciecrooks
    Options
    Hey Nick and congrats on the wedding. 5lbs a week continuously week over week is probably not realistic. In my expirience (and we'll wait for others to chime in) weight loss that rapidly is usually the initial water weight and lasts about a week or so. Stick to creating a good calorie deficit and maintaining a cardio plan with weights mixed in. Do some resarch on TDEE ;)
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey Hey,

I'm in training at the moment, I'm also training my boyfriend and my cousin, so I know what to do for men too. :) All I do is read and watch fitness stuff so... I'll help you out with what I know...

I don't know how many calories Myfitnesspal has put you on... but I would suggest between 1500 - 1750 because you are a man.

You should Up the protien... Lots of protien.. But nothing from a pig: No Pork, No Bacon, No Sausages!! It's too salty, it's just plain **** for you. Cut it out completely!!! I would lower, the red meat.. way down.. (beef & lamb). White meat though, you go for it.. Fish, Chicken, Turkey.. Go mad :)

I would lower you carbs, particularly white carbs.. No white bread.. white bread makes you bloated and constipated (sorry but it's true) So borwn carbs, but try to stay away from bread completely. So we like bran flakes, we like brown rice, brown pasta extra...

You can have as much veg as you like, and raw is better. :D

No fruit after 2pm. If you want to be really strict...

And Stop eating entirely after 7pm.

DRINK LOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADS OF WATER!!! Now.. in the morning before breakfast, a pint of water, before every meal a pint of water.. and loads of water in between...

And embrace green tea ;)

Obvious rules: Cut sugared ****, processed ****, fried ****.

Exercise?

Cardio it up. You should jog 30mins every second day.. Once it gets to easy do 45 etc...Swimming is good too, you can do those on the inbetween days if you want.

Weights (if you want specifics, let me know)

Hope this helped.. any other questions? let me know :D
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey, Nick contras on your upcoming wedding. You can do this as long as you are realistic with your goals.

Here are my tips:
    If you bite it, write it.
    Drink lots & lots of H2O.
    Eat 5-6 smaller meals daily
    Exercise, exercise exercise.
    Keep healthy snacks portioned into snack bags, grab and go.
    Plan your meals ahead of time.
    Once you log a meal ahead of time DO NOT change a thing.
    Goals should be small and realistic.
    You will have days when you fall off the wagon----tomorrow is a new day.

Good luck, I know you can do this. Remember you are strong.

KM
  • momma25boys
    Options
    OK Nick, let's try and get you ready for the BIG DAY without you being BIG as well. OK? I am Melissa. I am a 43 and have 5 sons. My oldest is 22 and my youngest is soon to be 6. I myself stayed wafer thin til I was diagnosed with Lupus in 04. So, I am have ballooned up to 250 in 9 years. NOT good. I have been wanting to start a "diet" for over 5 years, but always get side tracked. NOW is my time and I am kicking *kitten* and taking names.

I am not a doctor or a nurse..NOR am I a Dietian. So what I say is just from trial and error, ok? OK. NOW a guy your size should be eating 2000 cals a day with a cardio workout of at least 30 minutes to an hour. Cardio is better than WEIGHT...we want to down size our weight not increase it in MUSCLE size, at least not yet!...ok.

I suggest you check do the old saying, EAT like a KING at breakfast, a PRINCE at LUNCH and a Pauper for Dinner/Supper. That means simply you need to do your meals where you take in GOOD Carbs and Calories at Breakfast, a FIT lunch and a Lite supper/dinner. Also you should take in at least 64 oz of water a day...NO more sodas or sweet teas. DID you now a Mc'D's sweet tea has 230 calories for a 32oz cup? THAT is crazy!

You will get to the point where you want to know your calories and carbs over fat. Bake, broil, boil or grill the meat you eat. CUT out the red meats all together because they are harder for your body to break down. DO not add glazes or sauces to your meat. ALL most all seasonings are 0 calories and can make meat taste AWESOME...Ground turkey makes great burgers and meatloafs. Chicken is easy to bake and season to get your proteins in...use leaf spinach instead of lettuce. DO not look at diet dressings, low fat or low carb dressings and foods as good...LOOK at those calories and carbs. Always know you can control what is put into your mouth, unless you are kidnapped and force fed. =)

Get up and walk, don't shuffle your feet! WALK...and when know one is looking DANCE! I do alot of that after I drop my sons off to school...I clean house with the music blarring and I also search out my meals before hand. If my husband wants to go out to dinner that night, I get online and study that restaurants menu and figure out what I will have and how much...PORTIONS are a must! You can have a Fried Cod fish plate at Cracker Barrel on Friday with a serving of steamed Broccoli, a serving of Sweet baby carrots, a serving of fruit and a little cup of tarter sauce with all the water you want for....get this....344 calories and 30 carbs!!!! THAT is spectacular!!!! No you can't have biscuits and jelly, but you can enjoy that meal and still have a great time with your sweetheart and feel GREAT!...Also you can eat the slaw if you like for 150 calories, but LOOK at what you can have in the fruit and steamed veggies instead. Good huh?

Also you can do tuna for meals with MAYO..yep, MAYO...it is 45 calories with 0 carbs for a teaspoon. That and a teaspoon of sweet relish in with your pouch of tuna makes for a great sandwich. I don't use a Tablespoon because I don't want 90 calories in my mouth which ends up on my hips.

Use Multi-grain breads instead of wheat...Wheat = weight! I know we all think wheat is better for us, NOT so...Multi-grains takes getting used to, but you will feel fullier and healthier!

IT is really all portion, water, read the lables, mood and will power to over come...Hope I have helped a little...if not..sorry, but I have been on this site since the 5th of this month. AND I have lost 17 pounds! Yes, 17 and still going! I hope I can be sort of light and you can be my sounding board!

Good Faith and Good LIFE!
    Melissa!