Have you ever felt like a misfit?

Options

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I know how you feel. I think that looking good and being thin certainly helps with "fitting in" (so to speak), but even when I was thin, I was still a misfit. :)
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have I EVER felt like a misfit? Have I ever NOT felt like a misfit? Morbidly obese, artsy in a family of pragmatists, a musician, just the beginning of a long list here, but it's funny, the less I weigh the more I seem to morph into a quirky, funny, talented curiosity. I like that.
  • KimberDG9966
    KimberDG9966 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    MIsfit and black sheep here! Remember "to thine own self be true", I've been working hard to make me happy and not worrying about "them".
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    happy misfit here :smooched:

i embraced my misfittedness years ago and ran with it - it made me into the wonderfully weird person I am today :blushing:

be happy with your unique qualities :happy:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Only you have the power to change how you feel about yourself. If that involves losing weight I say get going. You know you will feel better each day.

Good Luck.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All day every day. Sometimes to the point that it's crippling. I'm 31 years old and I am pretty sure I have never once been truly comfortable in social situations.

But I'm the only one that can make that better. :wink:
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have I ever felt like a misfit? Yes. Every single day for as long as I can remember. Every. Single. Day.

I was always singled out for something or another growing up. I was the smart kid, I was the red-haired kid. I was the kid that never spoke up, but was always watching and paying attention. I was the kid who was always serious. I was the nerd. After puberty, I was the kid with the boobs. And I was still the nerd. And then I was the runaway. Now I'm allegedly an adult, and I'm the fat lady (though I'm fixing that one). Life experience has also left me the assertive one. The extrovert. The alpha female. The one who finds humor in everything. Still the nerd, though. Still the smart one. The organized one. The practical one. The unemotional one.
    Worse, I didn't and don't like the things that other people like. I barely watch TV (though there are a handful of things I enjoy). I find ketchup to be one of the most disgusting things mankind has foisted upon the world. I neither have nor want kids. I don't like chocolate. I hate driving. I hate the color yellow (meh, we all have our quirks). I loathe romantic comedies.
    I like things that other people don't. I read. All the time. I like math. I love museums. I like to take the bus. I don't mind shoveling snow. I like to work. It gets worse, so I'll stop here... :laugh:

But yes, this has made me painfully, cripplingly, excruciatingly self-conscious. About everything. I have minimal self-esteem, despite long since having to learn to be sure of myself. I do what I can to embrace the fact that I stand out, have always stood out, but that's a defense mechanism as much as anything, even if it's very much a part of my personality after all this time. But the weight loss is helping, mostly (minus those weird shapes one gets on the way down!), and that's a start. Doesn't help that I've been in a bad place in life for too, too long. One that I had no control over, but have nonetheless managed to get almost fixed.

So, long story short (and that *was* short, trust me, lol). Yes. I have felt like a misfit.

But I don't have a problem with being a misfit, and I've long since decided it's preferable to (and infinitely easier than!) the alternative, anyway.

Misfits unite! :drinker:

Thank you LaserOctopus your description could be about me, I too could add to your list. Dyslexics untie!
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have I ever felt like a misfit? Yes. Every single day for as long as I can remember. Every. Single. Day.

<snip>

But I don't have a problem with being a misfit, and I've long since decided it's preferable to (and infinitely easier than!) the alternative, anyway.

Thank you LaserOctopus your description could be about me, I too could add to your list. Dyslexics untie!

Glad to be of service. :wink:
    And on that note, I probably should have added one other thing I learned from always being the outcast, always being the freak, always being the misfit: there are plenty of others out there, too. Maybe sometimes to a much lesser or much greater degree of freakishness, but they're out there. I would number all of my nearest and dearest among them, lol.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I want to be....a dentist!

I got you, brother! joke didn't go to waste.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

<snip>

Glad to be of service. :wink:
    And on that note, I probably should have added one other thing I learned from always being the outcast, always being the freak, always being the misfit: there are plenty of others out there, too. Maybe sometimes to a much lesser or much greater degree of freakishness, but they're out there. I would number all of my nearest and dearest among them, lol.

i'm kind of similar to you guys.... and I'm dyslexic. and I'm obsessed with the palaeolithic era.

the people who really care about you love your quirks and eccentricities
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I got you, brother! joke didn't go to waste.

lol Yep, good one!
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way my whole life and through my weight-loss I still am having the 'misfit' blues. But, I want you to know that you are not alone! There are others out there who feel the sting of the eyes on them constantly, so we all need to stick together. :flowerforyou:
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Misfits band together! We rock!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

I feel this way ALL the time! :bigsmile: I can't change how I feel but I can change how I react to the feeling. I've often thought that's why I overeat - to keep other people from getting close. I lose weight, people want to get close so I "bulk up" again. Anyway, this time, I decided the weight loss is forever and I'm going to deal with the social anxiety of it by doing things outside my comfort zone.

As a kid I loved to swim and spent summers in the pool near my parents' store. I haven't been swimming in 28 years. Be seen in a bathing suit? Are you KIDDING?

Saturda, as I drove to the gym I decided to do something outside my comfort zone but I couldn't decide what. Then it hit me - I bought a (VERY) modest bathing suit. I promised myself that if I couldn't do it, I wouldn't. I finished my workout, showered, put on the bathing suit and went to the gym pool. I swam for 1/2 hour, then sat in the spa for another 10 minutes. I was gratified to know that I still remember how to swim. I loved it so much I went back to the pool on Sunday. Being misfits doesn't mean we don't have the right to live our lives our way!

mxLRwn6.jpg
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have always been a misfit. But, I also do not give a wink about what anyone thinks of me. But, Making friends is not easy for me.
  • losing270
    Options
    Yes I can not wait to look "normal" around others
  • losing270
    Options
    I have always been a misfit. But, I also do not give a wink about what anyone thinks of me. But, Making friends is not easy for me.

I don't make friends easy either. I have a bit of trust issues
  • losing270
    Options

I feel this way ALL the time! :bigsmile: I can't change how I feel but I can change how I react to the feeling. I've often thought that's why I overeat - to keep other people from getting close. I lose weight, people want to get close so I "bulk up" again. Anyway, this time, I decided the weight loss is forever and I'm going to deal with the social anxiety of it by doing things outside my comfort zone.

As a kid I loved to swim and spent summers in the pool near my parents' store. I haven't been swimming in 28 years. Be seen in a bathing suit? Are you KIDDING?

Saturda, as I drove to the gym I decided to do something outside my comfort zone but I couldn't decide what. Then it hit me - I bought a (VERY) modest bathing suit. I promised myself that if I couldn't do it, I wouldn't. I finished my workout, showered, put on the bathing suit and went to the gym pool. I swam for 1/2 hour, then sat in the spa for another 10 minutes. I was gratified to know that I still remember how to swim. I loved it so much I went back to the pool on Sunday. Being misfits doesn't mean we don't have the right to live our lives our way!

mxLRwn6.jpg

Love the misfit pic... and hey good for you for getting out of your comfort zone! I need to do that more
  • losing270
    Options
    Misfits band together! We rock!

LOL :flowerforyou:
  • losing270
    Options
    I have felt this way my whole life and through my weight-loss I still am having the 'misfit' blues. But, I want you to know that you are not alone! There are others out there who feel the sting of the eyes on them constantly, so we all need to stick together. :flowerforyou:

I am glad to know there are more people like me out there. Sometimes I am just plain uneasy around others.