Muay Thai - calories burned per hour?

Options
I study Muay Thai....like real Muay Thai, not cardio kickboxing. My class is an hour and a half long. There is some standing around/teaching time and times when rather than kicking and punching I am holding pads for my parther while he kicks and punches. My question is twofold.....

(1) how many calories per hour do you think this all burns? (I googled it and I'm looking to see if what I found comports with what y'all think)

and

(2) Given the standing around/teaching time and times when rather than kicking and punching I am holding pads for my parther while he kicks and punches -- do you think when I enter this on my exercise diary I should parse it down to an hour rather than an hour and a half?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    From what i read, anywhere from 1000-1200 for 90 minutes.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Do not guess. Buy a HRM. I know I once guessed at my Jujitsu classes and boy was I wrong. Trust me the standing around and listening equates to a lot of low HR time.

I do 90 minutes of pretty well non stop jujitsu. Full on sparing, boxing, drills, grappling rounds and I don't burn more then 1100 cals and thats with a HRM on. So if I was to guess I would say 500-600 for you.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Agreed, get a heart rate monitor that measures calories for you. They are cheap at Wal-mart. No on can tell you with your weight, sex, and age how much you burn. We all burn calories differently.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Duh - I don't know why I didn't think of a heart rate monitor. I will go shopping online for one right now! :) Thanks, all!

The only problem is that I can't wear it on my wrist while in class (boxing gloves), and putting one on my arm or ankle could get kicked and broken. Where else could one be worn?
  • therobinator
    Options
    Although my Google research is telling me that HRM's are not very accurate. Does anyone know the formula to calculate calories burned from average heart rate?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • therobinator
    Options
    Here is another way I found to calculate:

Total Calories Burned = Duration in Minutes x ((MET x 3.5 x your weight in kg)/200).

Combined with the MET numbers at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent it seems to give similar calorie burn data as any other calculator.

So, if nothing else, at least this thread can help others with various ways of calculating calories burned for any exercises that are not already in the MFP database.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Duh - I don't know why I didn't think of a heart rate monitor. I will go shopping online for one right now! :) Thanks, all!

The only problem is that I can't wear it on my wrist while in class (boxing gloves), and putting one on my arm or ankle could get kicked and broken. Where else could one be worn?

Yes you can. Mine fits under both my boxing gloves as well as my mma/muay thai gloves with no problem.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Here is another way I found to calculate:

Total Calories Burned = Duration in Minutes x ((MET x 3.5 x your weight in kg)/200).

Combined with the MET numbers at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent it seems to give similar calorie burn data as any other calculator.

So, if nothing else, at least this thread can help others with various ways of calculating calories burned for any exercises that are not already in the MFP database.

that TCB scale has been found to be way inaccurate, way!!!!!
  • therobinator
    Options

Yes you can. Mine fits under both my boxing gloves as well as my mma/muay thai gloves with no problem.

Do you wear wraps under your gloves? I do. The HRM would fit in there, but it would be pretty uncomfortable.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    yup and I can't even tell its there.
  • therobinator
    Options

that TCB scale has been found to be way inaccurate, way!!!!!

How so? Link(s)?
    Are you talking about the mathematical formula being inaccurate, or the MET scale that is part of it?
  • therobinator
    Options
    yup and I can't even tell its there.

Sweet! I shall give it a try then. Hope I don't smash it. ;)
  • mahennigan
    mahennigan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but did the HR monitor work for you w/ Muay Thai and what was the rough # of calories burned/hr? Thanks!
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently took my HRM to my Muay Thai class. Lesson was 1hr 41mins long and I burnt 1,014 cals. I am 30yrs old, 5'6 female and weigh 151lbs
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've always (loosely) calculated intense exercise is 10-12 calories per minute. Higher than 12 calories per minute puts me into an anerobic state and I can't maintain that level for a very long time.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout.

If you spend 40 min on technique and 20 min doing skipping/interval training etc, jot it down as circuit training.

Thing about body weight work is that as your body gets more efficient at it, you will burn less calories.

You might be able to pound through that 1 hour exercise 1 year from now, but you might burn less calories than what you are doing now if you are lighter + stronger.

Anyways, back to the point.

I do crossfit and I just put down 15 min - 20 min circuit training for 1 hour classes since 40 min or so is usually mobility/technique and the last 10 - 20 min are circuit type workouts.

Probably similar in cardio aspect with Muay Thai.