SWEETS!!!!!!!! :(

Options
I need help handling my sweets....although I stay within budget I tend to ALWAYS have a dessert (usually a 100 calorie pack); I am not a veggie fan, so the idea of me shacking on a celery or raw carrots isn't inspiring AT ALL. I don't know if even when I stay in or even under my daily calories, eating dessert everyday is hurting my progress. I have included salads to all my meals just to make sure I am full and I am snacking in fruits; still I don't know how to deal with my sweet tooth...HELP!!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    As long as you are accurately logging, including weighing your food, and the sweets are within your calorie allowance with a deficit maintained, then eat them.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    *blech* Veg as sweets?! I don't understand those people either. I need sugar. Proper satisfy-my-cravings sugar. What works for me are bananas (110 cal), strawberries (10 for 100 cal) and dates (5 for 100 cal). I usually have a banana nigh on every hour. This keeps my sugar cravings down.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet to me but a lifestyle change. I will never give up sweets (or wine) completely. if you meet your macros and have room in your daily calories i don't see why you can't have sweets everyday.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    I eat some sort of dessert literally every day. It's often a McDonalds ice cream cone.

There is nothing wrong with sweets. Fit them into your macros and eat them!! What is a life without some desserts??
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within my calorie budget, I would gladly eat that triple chocolate fudge cake. ;) But most of the time, I only have space for a bite - HAHA. But that's good enough for me!
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a massive sweet tooth. I have to end my night with dessert, but I also have a terrible time keeping portions in check. One candy leads to another. Therefore I try to stick to sweets that won't spike my blood sugar so I can satisfy my craving and then walk away. The only foods that work for me are high quality dark chocolate, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries. Even a banana will lead me down the path of temptation. I keep blackcurrent Jols by my bed as well.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips in my cabinets so whenever my sweet tooth rears its ugly head i just grab a small small handful. If I eat em and wait a couple minutes, my sweet tooth is generally gone. But if you know that you are a sweet eater, make room for a sweet each day. It's better to eat a small sweet everyday than deprive yourself, binge and then cry about "screwing your diet". :) I also doesn't make you feel like you're on a diet IMO.
  • DarleneAlmost50
    Options
    I just discovered luna bars. They have enough sweet chocolate to make you feel like your cheating. Great nutrients hidden away in that chewy goodness. Soy protein and calcium. Just satisfies!
    I also heard people love VitaTops. I haven't been able to find them yet at our health food store or the local grocery store. Good luck, with your weight loss plan, you can do it!
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet to me but a lifestyle change. I will never give up sweets (or wine) completely. if you meet your macros and have room in your daily calories i don't see why you can't have sweets everyday.

Exactly what she said!!! Don't think of this as a diet or temp fix of weight loss. It's a lifestyle change that you can maintain. 100calorie packs are perfect if they are satisfying your craving. Plan on having a snack so you can plane accordingly
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings are very common - I would warn against artificial sweetners (I use to be in the camp that they cannot be that bad for you - but they have a laxative effect on me and I am starting to believe they do little to reduce sugar cravings in the long term).

Whole fruit is your friend (not dried, not juice, not drinks) - cherries are the "super fruit" of them all! What you want is to reduce your dependence on simple sugars and choose items with more complex ones. Chocolate - sure just try darker chocolate (work you way up in Cocoa content).

Tea / coffee - for me I went "cold turkey" on this one and if I wanted it sweeter I just had it a little whiter ( milk is about 3.5 lactose - sugar so has a sweetening effect). Other than that I use Stevia or Monk Bean tablets - they do take a little getting use to but it is just breaking the familiarity really.

Get bread with substance - make sure if you going to eat bread get something enjoyable not the flavourless cardboard type white bleached sheets you get with "$1" loafs - that is what they are in Australia.

Taste your food and eat slower - even for sweets - let that chocolate melt and enjoy it not consume it :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    100 calories of sweets a day is fine! My advice is fit them into your budget and enjoy them every day !!!

Imagine how awesome you'll feel when you reach your goal and know that didn't deprive yourself in the process.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate goes a long way for me. I am addicted to sugar(mostly chocolate) like some people are addicted to coffee. Lately have been eating some 60% and 70% ghirardelli squares. I eat about two a day at most and that's enough to satisfy my hunger at least for half the day. I might need something else like a sweet fruit at another time of the day, but dark chocolate is amazing.
  • pichu_318
    pichu_318 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fruits, Dark Chocolate, or even just chew on gum when you usually have dessert :)

I used to work at a bakery so I grew to become addicted to sugar P:.....I usually do the gum.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every night!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips in my cabinets so whenever my sweet tooth rears its ugly head i just grab a small small handful. If I eat em and wait a couple minutes, my sweet tooth is generally gone. But if you know that you are a sweet eater, make room for a sweet each day. It's better to eat a small sweet everyday than deprive yourself, binge and then cry about "screwing your diet". :) I also doesn't make you feel like you're on a diet IMO.

Great advice. I do the same. Last summer I got on a kick of keeping semi-sweet chocolate chips, marshmallow crème, and raw almonds in the cupboard and almost every night I'd have 5-10 chips, TBSP of crème and 3-5 almonds. Like eating an Almond Joy.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Buy your dessert and then sprinkle broccoli over it and put on some gravy. All of a sudden it will seem less appealing.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    *blech* Veg as sweets?! I don't understand those people either. I need sugar. Proper satisfy-my-cravings sugar. What works for me are bananas (110 cal), strawberries (10 for 100 cal) and dates (5 for 100 cal). I usually have a banana nigh on every hour. This keeps my sugar cravings down.

You have a banana every hour?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 50-100 calories of the darkest chocolate I can stand. I'm in the 85-90% dark range now. When I do this every day, I find I crave other sweets less, knowing I have that piece of dark chocolate to look forward to.
  • Red_Dwarf74
    Red_Dwarf74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is a life without some desserts??

Dessertless on a dessert Island? :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have sweets pretty much every day.