Cooking when you have a family

Options
Not sure I'm posting this in the right forum, but how do you deal with cooking healthy when your family doesn't like what you make? My husband and kids will only eat baked chicken for so long. Fish (unless it's in the form of a stick or breaded fillet) never goes over well. They will eat whole wheat spaghetti and a few other things but I am having a hard time finding things they will eat.

Should I just make myself a separate meal each day? I do that sometimes, but it gets annoying.

Also, how do you know you are getting the correct nutrition content when you log the food you make homemade (lasagna, enchiladas, spaghetti, pot roast, etc.)?

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    They might go to bed hungry.....

Use the recipe tab. Input ingredients and voila it calculates the info.

Eta we all pick our favorites and rotate them.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe function on the add food page. You list all ingredients and put in the number of servings. It tell you calories and nutrition.

I make a meat and veggie at each meal, some times add a side of carb, if it fits the meal. Sometimes, two or three veggies works better. I slowly cut out the side dishes that were not as healthy ( mac n cheese? ) and substituted with more healthy options. They have not even noticed. Once a week, .i make their fave pasta dish and just plan my day around it.
    I have four kids 16-5 years old, so this should help with most ages. ;)
    Oh, some nights, i make equivalent meals. For example, i eat grilled portobello mushrooms with a side of steak and they eat steak with a bit of mushroom! Lol

I havent really cut put any food. We eat all meats, i just try to pair them with healthier things to balance the meal.
  • KnewBGNG
    KnewBGNG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have four kids and I struggle with that myself. In the end I realize that I have to prepare my meals separate from my kids because they do not want to eat what I eat all the time. I am the one who is on this WLJ, not them. I realize we need to try and stir our families in a healthy direction but for me that is the only choice I have right now.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things they eat, (or rather, THEY eat what I cook!!) and I eat them in proper portion sizes and make them fit in my daily calorie limits. I would never make separate meals, unless there was some dire medical reason to (someone has allergies or other medical condition for example). I have Pinterest boards I use to organize recipes and a notebook stuffed full of recipes I've printed and repeatedly made over the past year.

Some examples of our dinners:

chicken-cheddar-broccoli soup
    cheeseburger macaroni
    paprika-parmesan chicken breast
    asian ramen noodle salad w/ oriential shredded chicken breast
    parmesan crusted tilapia
    chicken-bacon-ranch macaroni & cheese
    spicy honey chicken thighs
    steak & rice or potatoes
    applesauce pork chops
    taco soup
    crockpot chicken tacos
    regular old taco salad

you really, really don't have to go boring to be successful.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is an option to create recipes on here. I enter all of my home-cooked meals under the recipe option so that I get the exact nutritional information from what I made.

I do not cook different meals, I eat the same meals as I always have. I eat a smaller portion than before, and I will add more veggies if I am still hungry.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    We all eat the same food. My husband does not eat veggies so he will just have more meat and potatoes. I also have a 21 month old and a 3 year old and they get what I make. I personally do not focus on cooking foods like I am on a diet. I make what I want so if it is something like lasagna I just watch my portions.

I enter all my recipes into MFP at the beginning of the week after I go to the grocery store. I plan our menu weekly so I usually have everything logged a few days out.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You tell themmto shut it and eat or make their own. With my family growing up there weren't seperate meals (except fish because I'm allergic) and its still that way. My 3 year old loves what I feed him except for white potatoes and most carbs...they will get used to it and even miss it if you cook a certain way. And please dont make 2 meals just because they complain .
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to track when I make the food. I use the recipe builder or meal builder, depending on the situation. I have about 4 pages of recipes in here now. There's no reason to make different meals. Just have a smaller portion of the protein and have extra veggies. Task your family with finding recipes they might like but are healthy and nutritious - or come up with meal ideas. You can have fried foods now and then, just smaller portions.
  • jamoore94
    jamoore94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to make your average family meals healthier, cut back on fats, add more veggies, but the biggest thing is really portion control. You can make yourself separate meals, but are you really going to want to do that ever single day for the rest of your life? This is a great chance for you to not only learn how to cook healthier food, but to teach your children healthy eating habits as well. The recipes forum is a great resource and here are a few more.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/
  • Godblessedmom
    Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My family eats the same thing as I or my husband makes. I have 3 little kids, but they are not fussy eaters. Nobody gets separate foods at our house. Regarding the correct data, you can click on the recipe tab and enter your own recipe that calculate it for you. I have done most of our favorites that way. Some places like Allrecipes.com have the nutritional data listed for you. Good luck!!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I cook for a family of 7 every night. I find a few meals that are healthy and taste good and switch them out. Other times we'll have "make your own" which is where everyone is responsible for feeding them self. I use the recipe creator on MFP when I make my own meals. I enter in all the contents and it adds it all up. I just make sure the info I am entering is correct before I finish the recipe. It works for me. Like 970 said a lot of times I say eat it or go hungry. Supposedly it takes at least 6 tries of a new food for kids to start liking it. My daughter now eats asparagus, green beans, artichokes and most veggies happily :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just have a smaller potion of the main part of the meal (like the protein if it is breaded fish, or hamburger helper etc) and load up on the veggies. I also have started to eat less at dinner and more at lunch and evening snack where I don't have to worry about other people as much.
  • amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How did I miss the recipe tab????? I will definitely use that from now on!

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There is always a resistance to change. I remember watching "Jamie Olivers School Dinners" in the UK and how they converted kids over to new food choices. I would not cook separate meals but sometimes we can lack some imagination for variety. Portion size is another thing you may give yourself a smaller serving when you cook steak etc... For fish I crumbed my own for the family and cooked mine with less crumb for eg. Sometimes getting the kids involved in cooking gets them excited to eat it, because they helped make it they will eat it for vegies keep them fresh and vibrant- I would try that also the hubby will eat rather than starve if the kids are on board :) Again with things like potatoes - nothing to say you cannot eat them just keep your portion smaller for that part. so you do some roast potatoes / sweet potatos / cauliflower - all can be cooked together (I recommend pre-cooking the potatoes (Microwave or partly boil) as they take longer to roast otherwise) - dish yourself a help of the cauliflower for eg and maybe 2 serves sweet potato and maybe no "normal potato" at all and bias the potatoes the hubby and kids with small portions of the others.

For fish - if others don't like it then not much you can really do other than cook this separately I have an electric grill which fold flat and I can cook steak on one side and things like fish on the other; still only one set of plates to wash up that way. There are also many types of fish to try our kids don't like seafood in general but they love my crumbled whiting for instance. See if it is all fish they don't like or there may be varieties they do? Once again if they help make it they are more likely to eat it especially for kids :)

You can sneak all sorts of things into stews - again the rest of the family can have bread and you can skip the bread or have a smaller portion. We had tacos the other day and the rest of the fam had the wraps / shells and I used whole lettuce leaves instead. With some clever substitution you can make a "Healthy" meal more healthy for you and still relatively so for the rest without cooking separately.

For the record we are a fam of 6 and I do a fair proportion of the dinner meals....
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm posting this in the right forum, but how do you deal with cooking healthy when your family doesn't like what you make? My husband and kids will only eat baked chicken for so long. Fish (unless it's in the form of a stick or breaded fillet) never goes over well. They will eat whole wheat spaghetti and a few other things but I am having a hard time finding things they will eat.

Should I just make myself a separate meal each day? I do that sometimes, but it gets annoying.

Also, how do you know you are getting the correct nutrition content when you log the food you make homemade (lasagna, enchiladas, spaghetti, pot roast, etc.)?
    this is a great question. but easy to remedy. don't stress. all it takes is research, measuring, and portion control. pair those meals with salads every time. save up for the dinners in your day so that you can have these without guilt. I make and eat all these too. The trick is to figure out the calories for every ingredient you take out of a box, package, etc. Lasagna: look at the labels for the noodles and get the calories, sub out ricotta chese for low fat or nonfat cottage cheese, low fat or nonfat mozzarella, ground turkey for the meat, a sauce that has chunky vegies, mushrooms and diced tomatoes (grind up in blender if the eaters are going to be picky),
    enchiladas: wheat tortialla, or at least corn, add in black beans to your meats (grind up if you must), low fat cheese, you get the picture. just add up the calories for what you make.serve spicy corn and a salad with it. Spicy corn is diced tomatoes with sweet corn. Just make it up as you go. I find recipes or food ideas and put my own spin on them. Now pot roast is your best way to add in tons of vegies more than carrots and potatoes. add in squash, celery, zucchini whatever.
    A great idea is to make tacos. you can get so creative on this. Add diced chicken, lean steak, fish, ground turkey with ground up black beans or just whole black beans, they can have the shells you can have a taco salad, use plain nonfat greek yogurt instead of sour cream, low fat or non fat cheese, lots of lettuce and diced avocado and tomatoes. use hard shells too. add in some brown rice mixed with salsa, ... I love and eat Mexican stuff a lot.
    You see the trick with picky people is to not tell them its healthy or good for them. You just sneak in the good stuff, hide packages, count your calories, cook, eat and move on. it can be done and I will tell you that once you figure out the calories for what you eat, and make..... you wont have to do it again because you would have wrote it down. mfp is awesome like that and you can make and sve things as meals. don't fret, just eat the good stuff
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make meals with modifications for yourself. For example, I'll make tacos for my husband but put my toppings on a salad instead. Or I'll make pasta but add extra vegetables to my plate and less spaghetti.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I make healthier alternatives to a lot of our favorites (baked chicken tenders, etc), sneak veggies into things (cauliflower into turkey meatloaf, etc) and anything that goes over rice or pasta I usually will eat over veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, etc) and give them small amount of my veggies and if they want they I will make a small amount of the pasta. There is always a lean protein and veggie in my dinners. I will prepare starchy carbs for them but only a small amount so they will still eat the other things.

For my husband, if he doesn't like it he can make something himself. My daughter is only 3 so she doesn't have that option. She either eats it or goes hungry. Even if she doesn't like one thing she usually will still eat since she often has 3 different things on her plate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, we've always eaten pretty healthy so it's not a huge change here, but if they crave something, I make it healthier. The kids get their chicken nuggets on days when I have to feed them fast, or on days I make something I know they won't eat (like stuffed peppers).
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    it's my job as a parent to put healthy food in front of them, it's their job to eat it. plain and simple. they have to taste a full bite of any new foods, or foods they dont like (because repeated exposures can cause tastebuds to change) but other than that i dont make them eat anything.

my youngest daughter wont touch gravy. weird kid. (might pay off for her in the long run though LOLOL)

make a healthy meal with some side dishes, maybe make one side dish they really like, but you just dont eat that *one thing*
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can put in your recipe's so it'll figure out the math for you.

Sometimes you probably are going to have to make something different for you than for them. That's just the way it's going to have to be.

We've changed the pasta to whole wheat pasta, and I don't think our daughters even noticed. We also switched from ground meat in our chili and spaghetti sauce to ground turkey, and nobody noticed.

Someone once asked Kate (of John & Kate plus 8) what she does if not everybody likes what she made for dinner. She said, "We are not a short order cook, and we are not a buffet." In my parents house, we either ate what my mother made, or we went hungry that night.

Although I'm convinced my youngest is going to be a dietician.....she has proclaimed on more than one occasion, "I don't eat fries or breadsticks because they are NOT a healthy choice!! Bananas, apples, yogurt and applesauce are healthy choices!" Consequently, we are pretty lenient when she asks for those things.

If you can sneak in things into the lasagna like veggies that have been whirred up in the blender into the sauce, then they won't know any different!