26 Year Old Male looking to lose 100 pounds.

Options
Hello,

I am Tony. I am a 6'0 Male who currently weighs 312 Lbs. I was 315 and have been using My Fitness Pal for about 2 weeks now. I was just curious about what my calorie goal should be. I am currently at 1900 per day and have been avg about 1600 a day so far. I'm at the end of my week and i am currently under my weekly goal by 3161 calories. I feel much healthier. I have also been working out between 30-45 min a day for 6 days a week, losing about 350 or so calories a day. Everything i have read is that i need to be eating 2400 calories a day but i'm struggling to reach 1600 now. After eating almost nothing but fast food 2-3 times a day for more then a year i have completely cut that out of my diet. All i drink now is water and a little juice. I feel so much better then i have in several years. Embarrassed to say i have been over 300 pounds since 2007, at one point being 340 (my highest weight ever) Can anyone tell me if i am on the right path, if i need to eat more/less or what i need to be doing. Any help would be great! Thanks

Replies

• bstnsportsfan3
    bstnsportsfan3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I should also say i am trying to hit goals. 25 pounds, 50 pounds, 75 pounds, and 100 pounds.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    You can go lower - try 1200. It might seem extreme but in your case you have a lot of resources to rely on. Don't follow the slow weightloss myth that people who are just overweight here will tell you. You can safely lose 5-7lbs/week at your current state.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Also at this point cardio doesn't matter nearly as much as your diet. But yeah it's good to do cardio in general.
  • bstnsportsfan3
    Options
    Ok, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't depriving my body of too many calories. But it would make sense that i have a lot of extra's and to just use that.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would advice that whatever calorie goal you choose make it one that you can last long term. When people weights get near and above 300 lbs I imagine there is a problem with portion control ect so going from eating the amount of calories a day that got you to where you are to 1200 a day isn't going to be a long term thing you can keep up. You can lose weight without being hungry. I have followed myfitnesspal calories and my highest weight was 272 and was given 2050 to lose one pound per week. I am now 185lbs and I am given 1500 to lose one pound per week.
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Having been 260 at one point and lost 50 pounds (very slowly), I'd say listen to your body. I am super active and if I go too low (less than 1700 calories) I am extremely sluggish. As someone above said, it has to be sustainable. You can't eat 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life-you'll lose willpower and pack pounds back on. Fast weight loss is tempting, but it isn't about a diet, it's a lifestyle. Developing healthy habits may take longer, but you'll be much more likely to keep it up!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Tony. I am a 6'0 Male who currently weighs 312 Lbs. I was 315 and have been using My Fitness Pal for about 2 weeks now. I was just curious about what my calorie goal should be. I am currently at 1900 per day and have been avg about 1600 a day so far. I'm at the end of my week and i am currently under my weekly goal by 3161 calories. I feel much healthier. I have also been working out between 30-45 min a day for 6 days a week, losing about 350 or so calories a day. Everything i have read is that i need to be eating 2400 calories a day but i'm struggling to reach 1600 now. After eating almost nothing but fast food 2-3 times a day for more then a year i have completely cut that out of my diet. All i drink now is water and a little juice. I feel so much better then i have in several years. Embarrassed to say i have been over 300 pounds since 2007, at one point being 340 (my highest weight ever) Can anyone tell me if i am on the right path, if i need to eat more/less or what i need to be doing. Any help would be great! Thanks

I think you're doing great. You're eating the correct amt. For men, according to all the experts, they should not go beneath 1800 cals a day, 1200 is way too low.
  • bstnsportsfan3
    Options
    Yes its something im trying to maintain. Im not looking to speed through losing the weight. I am trying to curb my food addiction too fast food and things like chips and cookies by substituting healthy alternatives. I haven't felt bad at all yet. My energy is increased (helping that im taking vitamins too) and i feel much better after only 2 weeks (started 2/9/14)
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    It really depends on the situation - your body can adapt easily to 1200 cals. I used to run 8-10 miles 3-4x a week on 1200 TOTAL calories and I was in the best shape of my life. I dropped down like 35 lbs and I did not feel sluggish at all. It isn't sustainable long term, this is true, but it will get you down in weight fast which will help motivate you to continue losing weight. Once you hit your normal weight you can start increasing the exercising in order to allow you to eat more than 1200 calories but your body will naturally adapt in terms of hunger to that low amount. The main reason that people fail is just the external pressures to eat way too much. So I recommend dropping down a 100 lbs at 1200 fast - then eat at around 2000 once you start an intensive exercise program.
  • blainepoe
    blainepoe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would advice that whatever calorie goal you choose make it one that you can last long term. When people weights get near and above 300 lbs I imagine there is a problem with portion control ect so going from eating the amount of calories a day that got you to where you are to 1200 a day isn't going to be a long term thing you can keep up. You can lose weight without being hungry. I have followed myfitnesspal calories and my highest weight was 272 and was given 2050 to lose one pound per week. I am now 185lbs and I am given 1500 to lose one pound per week.

This^^^

Find a lifestyle you can live with for the long haul. It's okay to start at that kind of deficit, but it's temporary. Are you getting enough protein? Good luck on your journey, and congrats on making the decision to get healthy!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, it sounds like you are on the right track, just keep it up. Healthy foods and exercise will speed up your metabolism, increase your energy and help you lose weight. If you need any ideas about healthy foods or exercises, don't hesitate to ask.

:)
  • tubnotub1
    Options
    Tony,

I am very much in the same position you are. 28, 5"9, 282 needing to drop 100 lbs. Prior to starting counting calories and watching my intake I would eat 1 or 2 meals a day, all of which would be fast food. Now that I am eating multiple smaller meals my basal metabolic rate is increasing and I am dropping weight relatively quickly (and easily!) A few things to keep in mind.

People will give you all sorts of advice. None of it is going to be *the answer*. You need to find out what you (and your body) are comfortable with *and able to maintain*. According to what you have said you are 2 weeks in and have lost 5lb which puts you at 2.5lb a week, that is a healthy (and sustainable).

This isn't a sprint (as you well know) it is a lifestyle change. Dropping weight quickly, while attractive, isn't necessarily healthy. I personally have my caloric goal set at 1800 a day, exercise three times a week, and am dropping 2-3 lbs a week while not feeling starved. I also allow myself two cheat meals a week in case friends want to go out for a bite.

Either way (I feel like I am just repeating what others have said) find out a caloric intake you are comfortable with, and set yourself up to succeed. Don't be overly rigid, allowing yourself a guilt free meal once or twice a week can be the difference between sticking with the diet or feeling as though it is a burden and dropping it entirely.
  • bstnsportsfan3
    Options
    Tony,

I am very much in the same position you are. 28, 5"9, 282 needing to drop 100 lbs. Prior to starting counting calories and watching my intake I would eat 1 or 2 meals a day, all of which would be fast food. Now that I am eating multiple smaller meals my basal metabolic rate is increasing and I am dropping weight relatively quickly (and easily!) A few things to keep in mind.

People will give you all sorts of advice. None of it is going to be *the answer*. You need to find out what you (and your body) are comfortable with *and able to maintain*. According to what you have said you are 2 weeks in and have lost 5lb which puts you at 2.5lb a week, that is a healthy (and sustainable).

This isn't a sprint (as you well know) it is a lifestyle change. Dropping weight quickly, while attractive, isn't necessarily healthy. I personally have my caloric goal set at 1800 a day, exercise three times a week, and am dropping 2-3 lbs a week while not feeling starved. I also allow myself two cheat meals a week in case friends want to go out for a bite.

Either way (I feel like I am just repeating what others have said) find out a caloric intake you are comfortable with, and set yourself up to succeed. Don't be overly rigid, allowing yourself a guilt free meal once or twice a week can be the difference between sticking with the diet or feeling as though it is a burden and dropping it entirely.

Thanks for the words. So far i have been to the gym 6 days a week over the last two weeks and maintained about a 1600-1700 calorie a day diet. So far so good.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! It sounds like you are on the right track! Do not take your calories down to 1200 that is way too low for someone of your weight! Good luck, you can do this!
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Another upside of slow steady weight loss-way less loose skin! If you drop it too fast you end up with skin only plastic surgery can remove. While it won't get rid of all of it, slow weight loss lets your skin slowly shrink.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You can do this. The people here are awesome. Check out the recipe section also because that's what has helped me so much. Congrats on taking the first step.
  • phillymayo1
    Options
    Great work! That is very impressive. i would suggest going with what MyFitnessPal recommends.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats on your decision to have a healthy lifestyle! :-) you can do it! :-)
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you.
  • bstnsportsfan3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advise and well wishes. The motivation is huge. I also work retail so i am walking a mile and 1/2 each day and burning close to 300 calories 5 days a week at work (according to my pedometer) while working out 6 days a week. I think my low calorie intake so far is because i don't really know how to cook many meals. Been eating a lot of turkey/tuna sandwiches and smaller healthy snack stuff so far. I have read articles saying my body needs 2200 or more to survive but i really haven't felt bad or sluggish at all yet. So i think ill stick with the 1900 calorie goal and keep going. I can always up it if needed. Once again thanks for all the friend adds and support! Yall Rock.

Tony D