Coke Zero

Options
Hey Guys.

I posted a topic about overeating protein which was answered successfully. This next one is about coke zero. Is it ok to drink? I mean would it put a halt to how much someone would lose fat? or would it make them fatter? I am a bit of an addict so I need to know whether I should go cold turkey. I'm starting to go all food Nazi on myself now. "Abs are made 80% in the kitchen, 20% in the gym"

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    How about alternating each bottle of Coke Zero with a glass of fizzy water or something like that? I dunno if diet sodas affect your weight loss or not, but it has a lot of caffeine and other chemicals that's aren't ideal to be consuming in large quantities. I guess it depends what "addict" means! I can't think of any reason you would need to cut it out of your diet altogether unless you wanted to...
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys.

I posted a topic about overeating protein which was answered successfully. This next one is about coke zero. Is it ok to drink? I mean would it put a halt to how much someone would lose fat? or would it make them fatter? I am a bit of an addict so I need to know whether I should go cold turkey. I'm starting to go all food Nazi on myself now. "Abs are made 80% in the kitchen, 20% in the gym"

honestly.... its ok to drink coke zero IN MODERATION like everything else.... make sure you are getting ENOUGH water for the day before you even consider sipping a coke zero... but if you intend to replace half of your water intake with coke zero because 'its ok' you are not changing the 'lifestyle' that causes the 'main problem' in the first place isnt it. ALL FOODS ARE GOOD its the portion sizes that stuff us up.... there is no bad food.... just a bad diet.... goodluck.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like it is impacting on your health?

I know for me, when I was drinking coke zero regularly, it made my asthma worse. However, I can drink it occasionally and not have any symptoms.

I think you will find a wide variety of opinions on this, so I think it will come down to your own choice as to whether or not to try to cut it out.

Though you could also think of it this way, it won't do you any harm to reduce your intake, as long as you are replacing it with water.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the amount of fizzy stuff you drink, maybe cut down what you currently drink. I used to drink about a litre (4 glasses) of Pepsi Max a day, and no water. Now I try to make sure I get in 2 litres of water a day, and allow myself 2 cans of Pepsi Max if wanted. Sometimes the Pepsi Max is the only thing stopping me from reaching for the chocolate because I just want that sweet taste in my mouth!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    There's lots of debate whether the artificial sweeteners help or hurt weight loss, and/or cause a list of various maladies. I'm not going to weigh in on either side, just make note of it.

Personally, I've cut my Diet Coke habit down from 4 a day to 1 a day.

It adds no nutritional value, and a glass of water or a cup of tea is much cheaper, leaving you more money for fresh fruit and leafy green veggies.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    Except for water, and you'll find people arguing against that as well, nothing you eat or drink have no calories. Coke Zero has 0.50 kilocalories per 150ml. So not much, but there is calories there. Is it healthy? No. Will it kill you? Meh, the jury is still out on that one. There is little to no benefit to coke zero, but as a treat there is nothing wrong with it.

If you're thirsty you should drink water, if you want a coke zero you can have some.

Source:
    http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/coke-zero.html

Edited: Language and spelling.
  • jeansnpearls84
    Options
    Just make sure if you decide to stop drinking it....dont quit all caffeine cold turkey. I learned that lesson the hard way a few weeks ago. Stopped all caffeine consumption and dealt with a massive 6 day headache:( i feel GREAT now though!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Weight loss wise, no, it's not going to affect you. There are a lot of people who don't like aspertame and what not, but there isn't really any science to back it up, which either means there isn't anything to it (which I'm leaning towards) or that it's not very significant.

I find coke zero to be excellent to satisfy a craving for a treat - I love coke zero, so if I feel like 'spoiling' myself I'll have a can, and since it's only 1 cal, I don't even have to worry about it in my daily calorie intake.

If you are drinking it in excessive amounts, though, I would worry about the acid - it's very bad for your teeth (if you have tiny little zig-zags at the bottom of your teeth, that's acid damage). Also, you will probably be caffeine-addicted, which isn't really bad so to say, except that if you are deprived from your caffeine, you will feel very bad indeed, and that might not be what you want - though coffee and tea can satisfy your caffeine as well, so you don't *have* to drink coke.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys.

It's got virtually no calories. I drink a bucket load of the stuff and it's never made any difference to me.
  • briannanoelg
    Options
    There have been studies done that people who drink diet sodas have bigger waistlines than those who don't.

I lost a lot of weight while still drinking diet sodas. I finally kicked the habit and I'm glad I did. I'll drink it every now and then but it's water for me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There have been studies done that people who drink diet sodas have bigger waistlines than those who don't.

I lost a lot of weight while still drinking diet sodas. I finally kicked the habit and I'm glad I did. I'll drink it every now and then but it's water for me.

I hate to break it to you, but there's no causation between drinking diet sodas and weight gain. When I was sub 10% bf I was drinking about 10 bottles of coke zero a day.

It literally makes no difference.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love my coca cola - always have. Lived on it in my 20's. Now it's strictly Coke Zero or Diet Coke but I prefer the taste of Coke Zero as it's not so sweet.

I realised in my early 30's that I am very caffeine sensitive and it disrupts my sleep so I only allow myself one can of Coke Zero before or with lunch and the occasional caffeine free diet coke in the evenings. I know it's not good for me but the less I have the more I crave so by limiting myself to it being a treat I satisfy the craving without too much impact.

I have a couple of cunning ploys to make sure I only drink one a day! I keep it in a cupboard not the fridge as I don't like it warm! I then put one can in the fridge at a time. If having had my first can I want another, I put it in the fridge (hiding it behind something!) - by the time it's cold enough to drink I have had a large glass of water and I am busy doing something else, and usually the craving has gone.

Healthwise the biggest issues are the acids and the caffeine. Dentists hate all carbonated drinks for the same reason - they soften and destroy tooth enamel. I think moderation is the key.

Find your balance.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda every day. I don't think it has had any effect on my fat loss or overall health. As with all things, moderation.
  • Stavro12345
    Options
    THANKS GUYS :D
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Probably not a huge deal unless you live off of it. But one thing to remember is that it dehydrates you and you need to drink extra water to compensate,

Being dehydrated while trying to lose weight will make it much much harder. It's easy to mistake thirst for hunger, so If I'm trying to lose, I try to avoid anything that can dehydrate me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No impact whatsoever. Lots of demonizing, no solid evidence other than anecdotal. Enjoy your Coke Zero!!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda every day. I don't think it has had any effect on my fat loss or overall health. As with all things, moderation.

Same here. I drink coke light /coke zero 1 - 2 cans a day
  • newgirlwalking
    newgirlwalking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I say in moderation if you're able. If you're as addicted as I was though, you won't be able to do moderation-you need to cut it out completely. I know that sounds harsh-but for me, cutting back never worked. It would creep back up to more and more each day. And it wasn't so much the caffeine i was addicted to but the aspartame.

I ended up cutting it out when i started getting some symptoms of aspartame poisoning. Rashes, headaches, ringing in my ears...nothing is worth that.

Instead, now at home and especially restaurants, i drink club soda for that much desired fizz (sometimes i add a splash of juice) and about 3 or 4 times a week i'll have can of Zevia cola (sweetened with stevia.) I don't form the same addiction to it because there's no aspartame. It is expensive at buck a can, but i easily used to spend more than 5bucks a week on diet soda.
  • newgirlwalking
    newgirlwalking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    (I was drinking about 2-3 cans a day. All symptoms stopped within a week of quitting.)
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love my diet coke so I just try to drink plenty of water with squash around meals and don't have a couple of cokes until later in the evening. I was once told by a nutritionist that some of the ingredients in coke could reduce absorption of nutrients from food so since then don't have a coke with my meals - unless in a restaurant with little else in the sugar free variety (hate drinking plain water)...

Everything in moderation...food-wise that is ;-)