Going on the journey again

Options
Three years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and promised myself I would not end up like my family members. They all died too young and did not live healthy, active, and full lives.

After I decided to change my life to make sure my blood sugars were managed I went to a diabetic nutition class. I followed the diabetic diet to the key and within 6 months I went from close to 250 to 183 lbs. I felt great and was happy with the way I looked. I met my boyfriend two years ago and he loves to eat out and eat at buffets! So, anytime we ate that is where it was. I've gained weight since then. I'm at 215 now...

I hate how I feel, how I look, and I don't have good blood sugar counts.

I desperately want and need to get back to how I was before. Just somehow I am not able to do it....

Maybe this account can help...

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! You can do this, good luck!
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I was diagnosed with diabetes, did everything I needed to change that and now I am here, pre diabetic, I'm getting myself back on track. Welcome to MFP, its a great tool but like everything else you have to use it to make it work for you. ????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! If you're looking for support on this journey you'll find it here. Also, there are a few diabetes specific groups that you may want to look into and join on here. Folks there would likely be able to offer guidance as well. Cheers.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You have the tools. Its time to pull out the tool box again and get at it.

Sit down and have a heart to heart with your fiance. Let him know that you know he likes to go out and to the buffets but for now you just can't do that. If he wants to he is welcome to go with a friend or family member but you over-eat there. Let him know that this is for your health and you want a Long and Happy and Healthy life WITH HIM. This is a sacrifice that you hope that he can understand and help you with.

Are you working out at all? If not, its time to get an exercise routine going too.

You Can Do IT !!!!! YOU are worth it.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like
  • pmkershaw
    pmkershaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, your story has similarities to mine. After my second child I lost weight then put some back on. At the end of last year I wasn't well at all, constant doctors visits and I ended up having checks for diabetes. It came back I wasn't diabetic but my readings could have been better, so I decided to sort myself out. I'm now eating better and am back in the gym. Once you're back in the routine you will feel so much better. Feel free to add me as a friend, I don't have any since I rejoined!