so inconsistent and gaining!

Options
Hi, I am 27 years old, 5'1 and 110 lbs. I've gained about 8 lbs since I moved to abu dhabi eating terribly and inconsistently
Im starting to see the weight on my cheeks, love handles, and thighs. I have been trying to lose it for a month but ive been experimenting different diets. Ill detox for 2 days (fruits/veggies) and then starve myself at work (eat veggies and hummus the whole day) eat a cupcake as a snack or Ice cream and then eat a little bit of something I made for dinner. I also love eating a small grilled cheese sandwich. Then on the weekends my mentality is 'ill go all out and detox again over the week' my hardest thing is social eating like brunches and heavy dinners when friends want to go to pf changs for dynamite shrimp and mongolian beef and wash it down with some ice cream. I hate resisting sweets because I am addicted to a point where I have to have it...like im desperate for it (especially before my period.) I know this isnot healthy at all and I want to get serious but its so hard. Its hard denying friends, its hard passing ice cream or bread. Im also inconsistent with exercise. I stsrted insanity for 3 weeks but whenni saw I was bulking up, I stopped. I want my lean body back. Living alone here away from family has been hard. How do I become consistent? Should I completely quit sugar or have 1 treat a day? How do I stop at 1? I love fruit! I hate low carb! How about eating out? I just want to be healthy again. What should I do?

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Eat how you want and exercise to stay in shape, or realize it's time to give up at least one treat a day?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ditch the detoxes, find a calorie goal which will put you at a small deficit but still allow you to eat occasional treats, and stick to it.

I need to insert "Guide to your sexypants" link here.
  • SandyTrevor
    SandyTrevor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    NEVER EAT ICE CREAM AGAIN! If you never eat ice cream again you will be guaranteed to lose your small weight gain...and you will regain your sense of control over over-eating if you stick to your decision to permanently remove ice cream from your choice of food treats. Replace ice cream by a nice steaming hot mug of Oolong tea. Make Oolong tea your new dessert. Oolong tea has zero calories and can be considered a tool to help you maintain weight and/or lose weight respecting its anti-oxidant properties.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    NEVER EAT ICE CREAM AGAIN! If you never eat ice cream again you will be guaranteed to lose your small weight gain...and you will regain your sense of control over over-eating if you stick to your decision to permanently remove ice cream from your choice of food treats. Replace ice cream by a nice steaming hot mug of Oolong tea. Make Oolong tea your new dessert. Oolong tea has zero calories and can be considered a tool to help you maintain weight and/or lose weight respecting its anti-oxidant properties.

Telling myself to never have ice cream again is the most assured way of getting me to eat ice cream. Plus, does not change how many cookies, or chocolate, or rice or bread or potatos or banana or pork chops or.... that I am eating.

If you are not eating at a deficit cutting out ice cream will not cause weight loss.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Forgetting about the calories, carbs and sugars, your diet doesn't sound balanced or healthy for you. Can you lose weight eating ice cream and cookies everyday? Yes, if you maintain a calorie deficit. Is it good for you? Absolutely not.

Get back to logging your foods every day. See exactly what it is you are putting into your body as fuel. Hopefully that will give you incentive to devote some effort into making better choices.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose. It sounds like a good daily workout that helps tighten and tone may be a better bet.
  • SandyTrevor
    Options

Telling myself to never have ice cream again is the most assured way of getting me to eat ice cream. Plus, does not change how many cookies, or chocolate, or rice or bread or potatos or banana or pork chops or.... that I am eating.

If you are not eating at a deficit cutting out ice cream will not cause weight loss.

Hi. You do have a point and for some people just counting the calories and staying within your calorie count (eating anything you want) will guarantee your weight loss...seems to work for some people. But it doesn't work for me and I was thinking maybe for someone like "inconsistent and gaining" who is so petite and needs to lose the last 10 pounds, she might have to go commando and get aggressive.

But for me at all times NO MATTER WHAT I can't eat pizza, chips, hamburgers, cookies, cake, chocolate, muffins, ice cream, apple pie, brownies, donuts, french fries and the like. The only dessert I can eat is one cup of low-fat yogurt with I tbsp of peanuts and 1 tbsp concentrated orange juice mixed together.

Unfortunately for me, it DOES matter "what kind of calories I eat" not just that I eat to within my calories count. Sad but true.

Some people just can't eat everything...sometimes you just have to cut some foods out because your body and metabolism will not work well with certain foods.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How exactly is "eating veggies and hummus the whole day" considered "starving yourself"? That's good food, and hummus has calories. If you think that's "starving", then you are most definitely eating more calories than you think, which would easily explain why you're gaining.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    But to address your original question, stop the detoxes, first of all. Really. Please. Just stop it. There is nothing detoxes do that your body doesn't already naturally do on it's own. All detoxing will do is bring your calorie count so low that when you're done you body is screaming for nutrients, and kicks you into a binge. Stop that vicious cycle right now, it's doing you no good.

Secondly, EAT! Eat regularly, stop the "starve and binge" routine you've trapped yourself in. If you eat sensible, regular small meals throughout the day, you'll never get so hungry to the point where you lose control and cram all the ice cream you can find. You most certainly CAN have ice cream (please completely disregard the crazy people saying you need to cut out anything, that is just nuts, and will set you up for failure later) just eat good food leading up to that point, and then have a reasonable portion of it.

Lastly, 110 at 5'1" is actually a very fit weight. I'd stop obsessing so much over what the scale says. If you are unhappy with the way you look, start lifting heavy weights. Restricting calories the way you are is NOT going to give you the results you think it will, I can promise you that.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

Most ridiculous thing I've heard all week. Please disregard, OP.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    1. Stop trying to diet / detox

2. Calculate your TDEE

3. Eat less than your TDEE, aiming to lose 0.5 lb per week. Be accurate and consistent with logging food, using a food scale where possible.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You already know what you need to do - you need to eat within your calorie goal. The problem is, you don't *want* to.
    You're not addicted, you're *tempted* - and don't want to give in to temptation.
    I'm following an online exercise plan and one of the trainer's mottos is "Train insane or remain the same", i.e. if you don't work hard, you'll never see results. The same applies for food too. If you keep doing what you're doing, you will never achieve your goals. If you don't want to change, you never will.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Hi. You do have a point and for some people just counting the calories and staying within your calorie count (eating anything you want) will guarantee your weight loss...seems to work for some people. But it doesn't work for me and I was thinking maybe for someone like "inconsistent and gaining" who is so petite and needs to lose the last 10 pounds, she might have to go commando and get aggressive.

But for me at all times NO MATTER WHAT I can't eat pizza, chips, hamburgers, cookies, cake, chocolate, muffins, ice cream, apple pie, brownies, donuts, french fries and the like. The only dessert I can eat is one cup of low-fat yogurt with I tbsp of peanuts and 1 tbsp concentrated orange juice mixed together.

Unfortunately for me, it DOES matter "what kind of calories I eat" not just that I eat to within my calories count. Sad but true.

Some people just can't eat everything...sometimes you just have to cut some foods out because your body and metabolism will not work well with certain foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

it's not the ice cream.

Reason for peoples failure

1. Not using a food scale to accurately track calories
    2. Not consistently logging their caloires.
    3. Aggressive weight loss plans (2 lbs per week when they have 5 lbs to lose), leading to binges,
    4. Over estimating calories burned and eating them all; a 110 lb women walking for an hour burning 500+ calories.

Outside of a medical condition to include PCOS, hypothyroidism, menopause or other hormonal issue, then there is no reason to eliminate foods you love. Now if you binge (like the OP), then you have to evaluate your overall foods you eat and your plan.
  • luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are small, like my daughter, so 5lbs looks like 20. Its hard when sugar addicted. It takes awhile to rid yourself of the addition. They are proving more and more that sugar is what makes us fat.
    The way you cook is important, you cannot eat out all the time and lose weight, problem is most restaurants cook with both oil and butter.
    When you are ready you will fix all of this it just takes time and work. Sometimes just the smallest changes can help put you on the right path. I am also sugar addicted but for me i stay totally away from it, its easier for me to say nothing is better than a little once i have a little i want more!
    I am 55 and have dieted my whole life and the once thing i have learned no matter what anyone says its calories ! everybody is different but for me to maintain my weight i have to eat 1500 a day to lose weight 800 (under a doctors care) to lose weight. you will find your notch, you are young and will lose the weight over 35 it gets harder and harder and after menopause almost impossible. a good nutritionist will guide you, and clean eating is truly the best way to start.
    Good luck, i am sure you will find your way, we all do!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

How can you guarantee her that she will lose weight if she NEVER EATS ICE CREAM AGAIN?

Ice cream is no more the "demon" than eating cheese cake too much...or french fries...or anything eaten in excess.

I rarely eat ice cream but if I wanted it I would just allow for it in my daily eating plan.

I ate 2 servings of pizza last night...still stay in my calorie limit...could have had more but quite frankly I was full...so I stopped.

Those 2 servings of pizza didn't cause me to gain weight...if I had of eaten 4...5...6...7...8 servings and I did that often...then chances are I would gain.

I like ice cream even though I rarely eat it...it is like a special treat when I do however...love that ice cream that has the chocolate swirls mix with caramel...oh...and maybe a few nuts thrown in. I might have to get me some of that next weekend!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Wow. Just... no.

Oolong tea =/= ice cream. A smaller portion of ice cream, however, will satisfy a craving and allow someone to stay within their calorie goals. It's called self-control. Try it sometime -- you'll be amazed at the results. The only people making us overeat is ourselves, because there isn't anyone with a gun to our heads forcing us to eat more than we should. And if there is... well, you've got more serious issues than food to consider. :/

To the OP: I'm only a tiny bit taller (as in one inch) than you, and like someone else had said 5 pounds can look like a lot more on a small frame. I second some of the other good advice you've gotten so far: get a food scale, set a healthy goal, stick to it, and see results. Try pre-logging your days -- that can help you stay on track and see where you can fit in that small serving of ice cream (or some other treat).

Good luck!
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What just about everyone has said. If you are experiencing bulking (which insanity isn't designed to bulk a woman up) it's probably because you were over eating and not truly 'detoxing'.Because it is my understanding that only by increasing your caloric intake would you see a true "bulk" of muscles while lifting weights (and not just 2-5 hand weights)

But do some workout routines without weights if you are worried about getting toned up.

But the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism runs (which burns more fat)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Wait.. what? :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • SandyTrevor
    Options

Wait.. what? :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

No...it's okay. YOU can eat ice cream.