Anyone do WW and MFP?

Options
I'm intrigued by the new WW program, but am unsure of if doing that would counteract what I'm doing on here or just enhance it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• tammilk
    tammilk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i just started WW again on Monday (i did it in the past and lost 30lbs). I am entering my points there and then coming here and putting my food in. I am meeting my daily point allowance for WW and staying under my calorie goal on MFP. I think i need a few weeks to see how it works out.

But funny you just posted this, i was looking around on here for someone doing both WW and MFP!
  • SkierElle
    Options
    why pay money for something when you can basically do the same thing on MFP for free?! I guess the meetings are helpful for some, though... that's just my opinion :)
  • tammilk
    Options
    I get a big discount through my work so WW online dosent really cost all that much for me. And it worked so well in the past for me, and i havent really lost much on MFP recently so i am giving WW another try. Thats why i pay (very little) for WW :)

I guess you can say the same thing about people who pay for a gym membership every month when you could workout at home!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    i used to do WW online and when i found out about MFP i cancel my membership, i think its basically the same unless u attend meetings. i actually do better with MFP. my job provide us with a gym and i utilise it, i also do tae bo and i just bought an eliptical 4 home. if u have ppl at home it,s easier to stick with it, i try to involve my whole family.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have been lifetime on WW for two years now. I track WW at home and here also to keep an eye on my intake out of the home. I cannot use the WW app tracking w/o paying for it, even as a lifetimer. I have not been tracking here since I started the new program because it is a little time consuming figuring out the new point values. Once I feel more at ease with the new program I probably will start up here again.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP almost a year ago I was still counting WW points (although I've never been an official member) and I would put the point totals into the note pages.

I always found I starved on WW, 18-21 points for me is about 1000-1300 calories BEFORE exercise (so I was getting like 850 net and fearing starvation mode) and WW (at least the old plan) completely ignored carbs and protein and important healthy fats so even If I thought I was eating balanced, I was eating almost 0 fat and too many carbs. Only now years later have I finally included some olive oil into the occasional recipe. Before I avoided it like the black plague and I still cook all my stir-fry’s with just water because of the high WW points value (4 per tbsp I believe).

It takes time but you move away from it, stop seeing the world as points and recognize healthy options on menus like salmon rather than ohhh the fat content, that must be like 12 pts!

Best of luck, you will see soooooooo many posts on here that eating your recommended calories AND eating your exercise calories is absolutely necessary. I am definitely more happy that I am balancing all of the nutritional requirements and although 1500-1600 calorie days (net is still about 1300, I’m 5’8 138 lbs) don't make for a quick 5lb drop in 2 weeks like WW points it more long term and prevents binges which affects your self esteem and your sanity.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just started doing both - I did WW for 2 years and lost about 40 lbs...then pretty much put a spanner in the works when I went on the Pill and gained all of it back! There are meetings near my flat so I'm going to start going to them as well as doing MFP - I like MFP as I have an app on my phone for it, so much easier than trying to log points manually. I find points easier to work with than cals though, for some reason.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Also, for those trying to do both MFP and WW this is the website I would use just to double check my points at the end of the day.

http://www.spruce.ca/health/wwcalc.html

It has no ‘4g fiber maximum’ so instead of counting each piece of food you eat, you can just plug in your total 1200 calories, 25g fat, 40 g fiber or whatever end of the day to see your points.

When counting points as you should (per food item) this website would be off by 1, never more than 2 which was obviously due to the no maximum fiber content calculation; my love of all bran and the fact it come up as like -1 points would usually be the factor, lol!
  • tammilk
    Options
    well after just 3 days of doing WW and MFP together i lost 3.4 lbs! I'm hoping for another big number next week after a full 7 days and WW & MFP together :)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!