Lower carb, higher protein ideas

Options
Hi

I'd be grateful for any meal/snack suggestions for the food principles I'm trying to adopt. I've never eaten meat but recently began eating fish and cutting down on dairy. I'm aware that my diet is always fairly low in protein and stuffed with carbs (though I try to go for wholewheat).

So I'm needing more options for a diet that is:

Low cal (goal is weight loss)
Lower carb
Higher protein
Super low saturated fat
High in polyunsaturated fat (eliminating unstable oils)
Dairy-free, meat free but can contain fish (don't like sea food!)
Generally anti-inflammatory
As unprocessed as possible

I know, that's quite a list!!!

With respect, I'm not interested in hearing any debate about why low saturated fat, dairy free, meat free etc - I have MS and done my research over the years and feel this is the best way to reduce inflammation and symptoms (and so far so good, after 8 years with MS recently ran a half marathon!). I'm just aware in my attempts to follow this I need to go lower carb and higher protein - I've got 30-50 Ibs to lose and I'm after total body transformation and ultimate health!

Oh and I'm definitely having a reffed/cheat day once every 2 weeks or I think I'll go mad!!

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Bumpety bump!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That is pretty restrictive! Normally I'd say cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt, but they're dairy.

Eggs, especially egg-whites?
    Fresh or Tinned tuna?

Many vegetables are good sources of protein, though you do need to eat quite a large amount of them.

Nuts and seeds?
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Yes I can have egg white, but not egg yolk. I've got a general understanding of food stuffs I can eat like nuts and seeds etc, I'm more after recipes to make them into meals because at the moment, the theory I've picked up on isn't translating in my head into physical tasty meals!

I'm after ideas like I just read about like this:

Flax Meal Peanut Butter Hot Cereal
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/flaxpdcereal.htm

And on my fortnightly cheat day, I won't binge, but rules go out the window!
  • marmitenot
    Options
    Ahhhh....BEANS! Pinto Beans, Red Beans, Black Beans. I eat those regularly in a Josephs Flax Whole Wheat Pita with a dollop of fat free sour cream, or guacamole, or salsa/picante. The pitas are also high protein, high fiber, and low carb. I also eat beans over a salad. I usually cook them from dry and make enough to freeze individual portions. I season them up with onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Or sometimes I just throw in a Red Bean seasoning packet. Beans have a good deal of carbs, but the high fiber helps to offset that and besides...they are the "good" kind of carb.
  • marmitenot
    Options
    I've also had the Flax Meal "cereal". It's good with peanut butter, but it has (to me) almost a banana like flavor, so mashing a half (or whole) banana in it is also really good. I also sweeten it with stevia.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I do need to make friends with beans more, besides the ones in tomato sauce out of a tin!!

Flax pittas?! Interesting, i thought all pittas were high carb. I'm in the UK but will try to see if i can track them down or something similar. That's the thing, I find plenty I like such as tasty nut butters (cashew, almond etc) and I've found natural guacamole at Costco and I make my own natural humous, but then I get stuck with what else but bread or carby stuff to combine it with!
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I've also had the Flax Meal "cereal". It's good with peanut butter, but it has (to me) almost a banana like flavor, so mashing a half (or whole) banana in it is also really good. I also sweeten it with stevia.

I guess that's a recipe you could really play around with, adding different nuts seeds and spices like nutmeg in to find something you like.
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot like the Joel Fuhrman Eat To Live philosophy. Also check out The Engine 2 Diet by Rib Esselstyn.
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've made myself a really nice salad these days, and it's very very high in protein and all of it can be unprocessed. I do it with chicken, but you can obviously substitute with tuna or salmon:

Lentils
    red kidney beans
    baby spinach
    cucumber
    radishes
    tomatoes
    chicken/salmon/tuna
    dressing, ie olive oil & balsamico or whatever you prefer...
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bobbilum
    Options
    Quinoa. Very versatile, can use it has a savory or sweet base for stuff. Add it to the salad that fujiko listed
  • Mugiwarah
    Options
    What's the difference between a fish and a chicken
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Thanks ginny, will check that out!

Fujiko - sounds nice. I guess with beans and lentils in a salad along with fish that can pack quite a protein punch.

I'm also dipping into this book:

The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan: The scientific way to lose weight, banish pain, prevent disease, and slow aging (Lynn Sonberg Books) [Paperback]
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inflammation-Free-Diet-Plan-scientific-prevent/dp/0071486011/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393251379&sr=1-7&keywords=anti-inflammatory+diet

Which has a very thorough list of food by their inflammatory ranking. Like salmon needs to be wild and not farmed to be beneficial and turmeric, curry and chilli powder provides a great anti-inflammatory boost.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Instead of olive oil, get coconut oil. It has polysaturated fat and is way healthier.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Quinoa. Very versatile, can use it has a savory or sweet base for stuff. Add it to the salad that fujiko listed

Yes, apparently quinoa has 50% more protein that brown rice and is better for fibre and iron.

I also discovered wholefood soya in Tesco - not the reconstituted processed crap Quorn cr*p but just 100% soya pieces and this is about 50% protein! :)

Thanks MVY but coconut is a no for me! (complicated MS stuff)
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    my fav low carb high protein food is yogurt w/instant breakfast mixed in and blueberries mixed in. Here is what I use:

Great Value - Greek Nonfat Yogurt Plain, 1 cup
    Carnation - Instant Breakfast Essentials - No Sugar Added - Classic French Vanilla, 1 packet (20g)
    Blueberries - Raw, 0.5 cup

Calories- 221
    Carbs- 32g
    Protein- 29g
    Fat- 0g
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    my fav low carb high protein food is yogurt w/instant breakfast mixed in and blueberries mixed in. Here is what I use:

Great Value - Greek Nonfat Yogurt Plain, 1 cup
    Carnation - Instant Breakfast Essentials - No Sugar Added - Classic French Vanilla, 1 packet (20g)
    Blueberries - Raw, 0.5 cup

Calories- 221
    Carbs- 32g
    Protein- 29g
    Fat- 0g

That's dairy-tastic!
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Seasoned and roasted soy beans make a nice relatively low carb and high protein snack.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that polyunsaturated fats are the most unstable oil you could use.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do need to make friends with beans more, besides the ones in tomato sauce out of a tin!!

Flax pittas?! Interesting, i thought all pittas were high carb. I'm in the UK but will try to see if i can track them down or something similar. That's the thing, I find plenty I like such as tasty nut butters (cashew, almond etc) and I've found natural guacamole at Costco and I make my own natural humous, but then I get stuck with what else but bread or carby stuff to combine it with!

Apples, carrot sticks, peppers, cucumber, how about ...

Also quinoa and beans of all kinds.