Low Carb changes

Options
Has anyone noticed a difference when you increase the amount of carbs in how you are feeling? I have been eating high lean protein, low fat and low carbs for several weeks. Last week when I got the flu, I ate more carbs than usual but still stayed within my daily goals. Now I feel weak, shaky and low energy. It happens every day.

Replies

• LadyGodaimee
    Options
    Hi! It sounds like you're body is in starvation mode...
    and you're not getting enough nutrition...especially if you're doing high intensity workout.
    Make sure on your dinner plate that it is well balanced!
    For example my lunch is consist of
    1/4 cup of Quinoa or beans.
    Half a plate full with salad or fruits
    or some form of lean meat.
    I use to feel the exact same way but my trainer taught me how to be wise with food selection.
    Have a nice day!
    Sincerely,
    R.
  • erikamadson
    Options
    This is an extremely unhealthy approach to eating... your body NEEDS FAT to function. Please eat more fat and lower your protein a little - you can put your kidneys at risk. Get a bottle of urine testing strips from your pharmacy ($10) and see if you have excess protein in your urine - it is indicative of serious nutritive dysfunction. Up your fat intake, seriously. You can stay at maintenance calories or a deficit, but fat is essential.
  • threeangelzmom
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying. I am eating low fat, low carbs NOT no fat and no carbs. After I fully recovered from influenza I have felt fine and am losing weight at a consistent slow pace. I also have had more energy. I think increasing carbs so much threw off my blood sugar levels. I am also careful to eat my excercise calories back.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I would personally be careful cutting your fat AND carbs down to low. Your body needs fuel. That's why low carb diets are HIGH fat, moderate protein.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi! It sounds like you're body is in starvation mode...
    and you're not getting enough nutrition...especially if you're doing high intensity workout.
    Make sure on your dinner plate that it is well balanced!
    For example my lunch is consist of
    1/4 cup of Quinoa or beans.
    Half a plate full with salad or fruits
    or some form of lean meat.
    I use to feel the exact same way but my trainer taught me how to be wise with food selection.
    Have a nice day!
    Sincerely,
    R.

Not true.

Starvation mode is something that happens to someone with less than 5% body fat, who is on the brink of death. You won't go into "starvation mode" from cutting 1 kind of macro down dramatically. It's just a myth.

There is no need for a low carb diet, unless advised by and under the supervision of a medical expert, preferably a nutritionist.

Try to stick to complex carbs if you need carbs, but want to limit the intake.