working out while traveling

Options
hi all,

I will be traveling for work this week and am staying at a hotel without a gym. Any thoughts on what I can do to keep up the workouts (not sure if the weather will cooperate for outdoor exercise).

Thanks!

Replies

• eddiecastro77
    eddiecastro77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pull up some Tabata workouts on Youtube, they are basically body weight exercises. You can also grab some resistance bands from the store and use those as well.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Walk up and down the stairs for cardio.
  • Krustpie
    Options
    Draw up a routine before you go so you don't have to think what to do. Squats, pushups, situps, down ups, bottled water can be used as light weights, the bands are fun, add a skipping rope. I even get the guys I work with involved when we travel so we can run together, do yoga etc
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Many hotels have partnerships with nearby gyms so guests can workout at discounted rates. Check their website or call the front desk and ask if they have any offers.

Packing some resistance bands is useful as well.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If you feel safe in the area where you are working and/or staying, and weather permits...take long walks and maybe do some sight-seeing or shopping during the evening or early morning.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I pack a resistance band and do strength training videos in my hotel room. I also ask the hotel where I am staying to recommend a running route. Almost all of the hotels I have stayed in have sent me to great local places to run. If all else fails, you can do the stairs at the hotel or laps in the pool if they have one.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Run the stairs, create a workout circuit in your room with jump squats, pushups, dips, rows (if you have a table you can get under and pull up on), sit-ups, side-t0-side jumps, etc. There are a ton of things you can do with bodyweight. But, definitely, hotels are great for stairs.
    Just google or YouTube "bodyweight workout" or "hotel room workout" or "bodyweight HIIT" or something along those lines. There's a lot to do, and you can get a great workout in 20 min or under. .
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Google things like "hotel workout", "no equipment workout", etc. and you'll definitely find plenty of ways to workout. One of my favorites to have around is here: http://neilarey.com/100-no-equipment-workouts.html (scroll down to the ".pdf download" section. you can print it for fre (even just the pages, you want) or order a paperback copy from Amazon)
  • chickee824
    chickee824 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do squats, push-ups and sit-up in my room when I travel and the hotel doesn't have a gym. I also bring a jump rope.
  • aimeegoudas
    aimeegoudas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    An oldie but goodie:
    100 jumping jacks
    90 crunches
    80 squats
    70 leg lifts
    60 jumping jacks
    50 crunches
    40 squats
    30 leg lifts
    20 jumping jacks
    run for 10 minutes (or do stairs)

I'd also add in burpees!!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Last time I traveled, first thing I did was google near by gyms that would be appropriate for me.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Pull up some Tabata workouts on Youtube, they are basically body weight exercises. You can also grab some resistance bands from the store and use those as well.

Not quite. Tabata is a system of work/pause, normally in 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds (4 minutes total) per exercise. They can be any exercise you want.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Basic calisthenics are great in a pinch. (Jumping jacks, jumping rope, squats, leg lifts, etc.) You can always just go for a nice walk around the parking lot and/or the general area. Resistance tubing is also incredibly portable! Download some PDFs of tubing exercises, keep it in your briefcase, and break it out whenever you have a chance.

Have a safe trip!