Late night snacker

Options
I seem to eat most of my calories late at night. Any tips on how to avoid this?

I find that "completing my diary" helps sometimes but I still have my late night cravings. :(

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to eat at night?

It doesn't matter when you consume your calories, long as you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.

I eat before bed on a daily basis, and it hasn't slowed my weight loss. JMO
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    No need to worry, the whole "don't eat after 8pm" is a myth. The body doesn't care when you feed it. I work straight nights so most of my intake would be during the "no eat zone". Bodybuilders will wake up through the night just to eat.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I agree it's a myth and I eat when I'm hungry..stop when I'm full. I'm just finding that late at night I'm craving the high calorie, high fat, sugary foods. :(
  • christinehealy95
    Options
    I Know the feeling, the other night I had late night sugar cravings and eat a tonne of ice cream! I found that it happens when I haven't had enough sugar during the day and my levels are low, best thing too do: have some green tea with a tsp honey after dinner and some fruit, if that fails, try some flavoured sugar free chewing gum, it'll occupy you long enough that you might forget about the craving!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Find something to distract you. It's probably just habit. It is a struggle and I struggle with it sometimes too but usually if you are determined, a green tea or diet drink will do instead or deliberately save some calories for the evening to look forward to. Hope this helps
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for a late night snack.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation and fats aren't bad for you...why not save some calories for something yummy at night? I don't have any limitations on what I can or cannot eat. I eat mostly nutrient rich foods then squeeze in some ice cream or lately, girl scout cookies, before bed.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm that way too. I do awesome all day until the kids go to bed. Then I just want to eat. I don't know why. I also started completing my diary after I finish dinner. Last night I almost caved and asked my mom to grab me something horrible from Taco Bell on her way by my house, but I didn't. Damn those yummy Cinnabon things... Sad thing, I had enough calories left over last night, but I knew they're just awful for you, so I said no and had some popcorn.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You may be tired. Try going to beg earlier. My husband had this problem. We also got rid of his late night trigger foods. Last night he had an apple and a pear, but he would have had pizza rolls if we had them.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    im *always* having sweet snacks right before bed. i pre-plan my days, and since i know my body always craves a little after dinner treat, thats how i calculate things.
    different methods work for different people. if you tend to be more hungry/crave majority of your calories the afternoon or evening, why not even look into IF...

edit: unless the craving is due to tiredness. sometimes we just crave a 'sugar rush' kick because we are knackered.
  • arwacky
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation and fats aren't bad for you...why not save some calories for something yummy at night? I don't have any limitations on what I can or cannot eat. I eat mostly nutrient rich foods then squeeze in some ice cream or lately, girl scout cookies, before bed.

I do try to have a treat but I realized that this just causes me to want more rather than feel satisfied. :(

Last night I had an apple and mini chocolate chips and it helped a bit. Green tea usually helps but I try not to drink it too late so I don't stay up.

^^ IF seems interesting..how would that reduce cravings? I have a feeling it might make me want more of what I can't have..
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth. To me, nothing tastes good after minty toothpaste. Works like a charm.
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're like me, I can't get to bed without having a satisfied tummy, heheh. So I always eat very light during the day, eating meals consisting out of 200-300 calories, every 3 hours. This way I'm saving up for my meal right before bed.

Anyway, I eat around 2 hours before bed. And then right before bed I eat 200-300 grams of greek yoghurt with a scoop of my protein powder (chocolate flavor). Absolutely love it, and prevents me from snacking around, as the protein self is very taste, and in turn also healthy. Sometimes, I also add some sesame seeds, or just have a sesame bar.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

I do try to have a treat but I realized that this just causes me to want more rather than feel satisfied. :(

Last night I had an apple and mini chocolate chips and it helped a bit. Green tea usually helps but I try not to drink it too late so I don't stay up.

^^ IF seems interesting..how would that reduce cravings? I have a feeling it might make me want more of what I can't have..

What's your calorie goal set at, out of curiosity? Also, I know nothing of IF. Someone will have to help ya out with that :flowerforyou:
  • arwacky
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth. To me, nothing tastes good after minty toothpaste. Works like a charm.

Someone on my FL suggested that. It helped soo much. Plus it forced me to go upstairs and away from the kitchen so I just slept afterwards.

@ meankeen: yea I have small meals throughout the day as well. I find it helps me remain satisfied. Maybe I'll go pick up some protein powder
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for a late night snack.

My idea as well as I often have to take painkillers during the night and have to eat something first.
  • arwacky
    Options

What's your calorie goal set at, out of curiosity? Also, I know nothing of IF. Someone will have to help ya out with that :flowerforyou:

Don't worry. It's not 1,200 lmao!!
    I increased it up to 1,700 but MFP had originally gave me 1,300 which I couldn't deal with. I felt like I was starving myself (I tried it for approx 3 weeks and was miserable!). I noticed that I seem to eat up to 1,700 one day and the next I'm not as hungry. Weird..

As for IF I'm just interested to know the reasoning. I fast for religious purposes and although I do lose weight I feel like I gain it back afterwards.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

I increased it up to 1,700 but MFP had originally gave me 1,300 which I couldn't deal with. I felt like I was starving myself (I tried it for approx 3 weeks and was miserable!). I noticed that I seem to eat up to 1,700 one day and the next I'm not as hungry. Weird..

As for IF I'm just interested to know the reasoning. I fast for religious purposes and although I do lose weight I feel like I gain it back afterwards.
    That's good to hear ;)
    I tend to eat high protein, fat meals as my bigger meals, as they leave me more satiated than like an apple or something light. Sometimes, I'll do scrambled eggs with avacado, tomatoes and cheese mixed in. Maybe try watching your protein and fats and see what amounts help you feel fuller longer. As far as fasting, I haven't a clue. :P
  • arwacky
    Options

That's good to hear ;)
    I tend to eat high protein, fat meals as my bigger meals, as they leave me more satiated than like an apple or something light. Sometimes, I'll do scrambled eggs with avacado, tomatoes and cheese mixed in. Maybe try watching your protein and fats and see what amounts help you feel fuller longer. As far as fasting, I haven't a clue. :P

Lol sounds like a plan! Yea eggs are my go to breakfast meal but yours sound better!! I usually make mine with coconut oil, spinach, and crushed red pepper. If I really want a treat I add onion but usually I'm too lazy haha!!!
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First off I don't buy that eating late at night makes no difference. I've gone through stages where I would eat quite a lot at night (but still stay within my goals) and I wouldn't lose any weight while I was doing that (by "quite a lot" I mean 2-300 calories.) Then I would cut out the late night snacking and the weight would start to drop off again. So while it might not make a difference to some, to others it does.

If it doesn't make a difference to you, then just plan some snacks into your daily goals. Don't go too overboard but save space for a yogurt, or a small bowl of cereal maybe. I try to stretch my evening meal out. I'll have a main meal at 6-6:30pm but then wait at least an hour to have dessert. That will keep me going until 10pm-ish when I have a low-cal hot chocolate and 2 biscuits. That usually keeps me good until midnight which is the latest I like to stay up.
    If you actually do want to cut out the late night snacking then I'd go with brushing your teeth. Set a time to brush your teeth each night and stick to it. If you're like me then you won't eat anything after that.