BMR / TDEE setting MFP Goal

Options
Hi,

So I've been using MFP to log my calories and exercise and it had given me the usual 1200. But after research on here and not losing weight I decided to go down the calculation of TDEE which increases my calories to 1629 including my exercise. This is 10% from my TDEE but above my BMR. It's scary to increase so much but I'm not getting anywhere at the moment so worth a shot. Just need to get my head to forget the scales for a bit.

So my question is I have set my goal calories to the 1629. I read you can log your exercise but add the calories as 1. I prefer to see what I have burned so can I continue to log my exercise calories and just use MFP goal calories to count for the day i.e ignoring the net column altogether. Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Thanks all

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're using TDEE-10%, then for you, it makes sense to log your calories, but just not eat them back. If it helps to see the number of calories burned thru exercise, then go for it!

It would also help you ensure you're really reaching your expected TDEE. Do you have a fitbit? Remember to add the calories slowly, ok?
  • puppup73
    puppup73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have rarely eaten back my exercise calories so I've been well under. I use a HRM for my workouts and track a general pedometer app for my walks. I'm currently doing body revolution and I know I need to eat more as I get a real low in the afternoons when I just have to have a cat nap. So do you think I shouldn't increase in one fell swoop? Gained 1lb this week anyway (thanks scales!) so I'm in a stubborn sulky fight with my body.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can go ahead and log the exercise burn and then still just eat your regular number of cals, but keep in mind that logging the exercise will also change your macro goals, so if you're aiming for those as well, they numbers will change along with the calorie goal. You could also have those numbers written down or memorized and just go for those numbers as well.

Or, what I do is log the exercise with my actual calorie burn in the title for my own reference, and then log the burn as .1 calorie burned - MFP doesn't do the decimal so it logs it as 0 cals burned, and all my numbers stay the same. The time is logged in my active minutes, and the calorie burn is there for me to see.

Do whichever way works best for you, but I just wanted to point out the part about the macros. :smile:
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have rarely eaten back my exercise calories so I've been well under. I use a HRM for my workouts and track a general pedometer app for my walks. I'm currently doing body revolution and I know I need to eat more as I get a real low in the afternoons when I just have to have a cat nap. So do you think I shouldn't increase in one fell swoop? Gained 1lb this week anyway (thanks scales!) so I'm in a stubborn sulky fight with my body.

I gained 2 pounds at the end of Phase 1 of body revolution. Now at the end of 2 the scale is moving. Measure too the scale can be mean. :wink:
  • puppup73
    puppup73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I gained 2 pounds at the end of Phase 1 of body revolution. Now at the end of 2 the scale is moving. Measure too the scale can be mean. :wink:
    [/quote]

Very mean. :mad: just started week 7 today. May hold you to the weight loss :laugh: