Confused

Options
Sorry if this is all jumbled...I have been working really hard at following my alotted calories as per MFP. I am usually on par or under before I exercise. I have to exercise at night and am unable to "eat back" all the calories worked out or I would go to bed with a full stomach. I hadn't been tracking my sodium but the other day added it..I had been way over on sodium for the last few weeks and having swelling issues, removed my rings had sock indents. I have gained 9lbs and was wondering if that was more because of the sodium or if it was that I wasn't eating enough initially? I was thinking of upping my calories to 1800 a day instead of 1470. According to MFP my BMR is over 1800 so am I working hard for nothing by undereating? I am burning on average 500 calories 6 days a week from exercise. Any suggestions? I am getting really really discouraged.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you should first and foremost, plan your food based on expected exercise. If you're relatively confident that you'll be working out today, try to add some extra calories to your food. Also there's nothing wrong with eating before bed, just don't pig out. The concept of eating before bed being bad is a myth, the only reason you would want to avoid it is if it screws up your sleep cycle.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I was getting really low on my calories for a while now, so the last couple days I made sure to eat more of my excersize calories, and I dropped about 1/2 a pound.
  • roxanea
    Options
    From what I understand you need to figure out what your calorie intake would be to maintain your weight and then subtract 500 calories for every pound that you would like to lose. For me that means the amount of calories I need to eat to maintain my weight would be 2670 calories to lose up to 2 pounds a week I need to eat 1670 calories that is a deficet of 1000. Also if you try not to eat the same amount of calories every day that seems to help with weight loss.

As for the calories you earn for working out I have found that I only eat the extra calories I need to make sure I am not hungry when I go to bed. I have yet to eat all of the calories that I earn for excercising.

I workout at least 5 to 6 days a week and burn on an average of 800 calories a day and have lost at least 1 to 1.5 pounds a week since I joined. I have also found that changing what you do for excercise through out the week also helps keep your metabolism up.

Hope this information is helpful.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    If you don't consume enough calories then your body will switch to starvation mode. None of us want that. You need to eat to lose. Just need to eat better. :) I'm going to guess that the sodium did contribute to some if not all of the weight gain. Drink lots of water to flush your system and then relax and watch it all fall back into place. Another thing to look at is the calorie burn that you're doing really true?

Hang in there!
  • Boopa
    Boopa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you don't consume enough calories then your body will switch to starvation mode. None of us want that. You need to eat to lose. Just need to eat better. :) I'm going to guess that the sodium did contribute to some if not all of the weight gain. Drink lots of water to flush your system and then relax and watch it all fall back into place. Another thing to look at is the calorie burn that you're doing really true?

Hang in there!

I have been worried the last week or so about not eating enough but I couldn't decide if i should up the calories(change goal to 1lb a week instead of 2) When looking at the sodium I was shocked my eyes bugged out, the last few days have been great for sodium intake. I am pretty sure the calorie burn is accurate I got a brand new hrm to make sure it was more accurate than my trying to count. I have been steady and focused for almost a whole month now so i "shouldn't" be gaining. Thanks for the input! :)