Best exercise to do at home

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose (50+) and I know I need to exercise. I have a small house with no treadmill or elliptical. What is the best workout I can do at home? I did 2 days of the 30 day shred and it seems like a good workout especially since it's fast but I read conflicting things about it. Not sure if it is good for someone who needs to lose a lot of weight or just to tone up. I also don't have a lot of time to exercise so a half hour at most.

Any advice?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    The exercise routine that you will stick with is the best one. I will strongly recommend some real strength training but it is very important to find something you enjoy. If you want to avoid the equipment expense necessary for weight lifting then you can start a bodyweight routine or simply purchase a sandbag and go with that.
  • muchazondidam
    Options
    Get Billy Blanks pt24/7. You will burn calories and gain muscle too plus it's a fun workout. I also have Les Mills Body pump which burns calories through weight lifting small weights but lots of reps. This has helped me to shed a lot of weight and lose inches
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    The "best" workout is a bit of a hard thing to say. The "best" one is, as the poster above me noted, one that you genuinely enjoy and will do consistently. Here are a few elements I look for when it comes to exercise for fat loss:

1) Involves resistance training in some way.

So for instance, a bodyweight at-home workout like the one here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

2) Minimal rest between rounds for optimizing cardiovascular component and calorie expenditure

So basically just keeping the heart rate up while getting your strength-training on.

There are a few fitness programs out there that accomplish this if you really want to purchase something. P90x is pretty good. However, you can just make up your own programs, or take ones from online like the one I linked above.

In addition, you could do some 'interval training' outside if you were comfortable with it. Something like:

Warm-Up: 5 minute easy walk
    Intervals: 5-10 rounds of 20s fast walk or jog : 40s easy walk
    Cool-Down: 5 minute easy walk

Hope this answers your question, let me know if you have any other questions!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    As stated, the best workout is the one you will keep doing. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit and that has more to do with how much food you eat rather than exercise. Exercise is for health and strength. You can lose weight, even lost of weight with just a calorie deficit established by eating less.
  • MamaShalyn
    Options
    I guess "Best" wasn't the right word. What I want to know, is what is going to give me good results? Is the 30 DS ok for people wanting to lose weight? I know it definitely gives me a workout because I was really really sore the day after day 1. It gets my heart rate up and everything and I do like it. Just need to get a good sports bra for those jumping jacks!!!!!
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "Best" exercises simplified, for at home:

Squats
    Push ups
    Deadlifts
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The best for me is a treadmill personally. I decided to finally cave and get one because I get bored just watching other people do things on my computer screen. i'm starting the C25k tomorrow.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started running. A decent pair of running shoes and a download of the couch to 5K (there's a good one on www.nhs.uk with music and coaching for free). You just open your door and off you go :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Do you simply want to lose weight? Do you want to be in better shape cardio wise? Gain strength/flexibility/balance, etc? Do you want to gain/maintain muscle and look more toned?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Does your house have stairs? Jog up 'em, walk down, repeat.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jillian Michaels' DVDs. Short, effective, doable. I do also have a treadmill, so I incorporate that as well, but DVDs like that can certainly help you tone up as well as lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit. :)
  • MamaShalyn
    Options
    Yes I am doing 1200 calories a day (or trying to most days). I want to lose weight, but also want to try to tone while losing if possible.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just started 30DS myself.... I like it! I am certain ANYTHING that gets your heart rate up is good for weight loss!
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jillian Michaels' DVDs. Short, effective, doable. I do also have a treadmill, so I incorporate that as well, but DVDs like that can certainly help you tone up as well as lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit. :)

me 2!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Squats
    Push ups
    Deadlifts

Would add, doing push ups in various positions, burpees and mountain climbers as well. If you don't know what they are you can see how they are done on YouTube.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Squats
    Push ups
    Deadlifts

And chin-ups :)
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sex
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Check out blogilates :) lots of options on her site. I double up some of her shorter videos most days!
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com or kardiokim.com. Love ALL the workouts I've done on Fitnessblender and just started zumba workouts from kardiokim.com :)

And, when it's nicer out walking outside is always a good option!