"Starvation Mode"

Options
Hi! I was hoping some of you could give me some insight on the number of calories I've been taking in a day. Now that I'm trying to lose weight, I've stopped eating out and over-stuffing myself. I am a 5'0, 120lbs, 22 year old female. Here's is a sample of a typical day:

Breakfast:
1 slice of toast
1 scrambled egg
1oz smoked salmon
= ~179 cal

Lunch:
3oz whole grain spaghetti
1oz grape tomatoes
180g chick breast
= ~400 cal

Dinner:
200g broccoli
3.5oz tofu
224g tomatoes
= ~191 cal

Snacks:
1 cup grapes
1oz gouda cheese
40g apple
= ~186 cal

I'm never actually hungry, but I'm worried that since it's only about 956 cals total a day that I'm putting myself into "starvation mode". I also take a daily multivitamin. What do you guys think?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's a reasonable start, but you're right, it would be better if you could reach 1200 calories.

Now that shouldnt be too hard - 1 oz of smoked salmon or cheese is very little, you could double each of those. Or have a couple of oatcakes with your cheese.

Are you sure about the calorie counts on your grapes?

Add in a tablesppon of peanuit butter and you're about done.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    You won't go into starvation mode, just plain old starvation......just make sure you binge now and then so you don't chew off any fingers.:wink:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You will not go into starvation mode in a few days, but you will starve after a while and probably end up gaining the weight back once you stop dieting, this is not a very realistic or healthy plan on the long run. Check here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ or google some other calculator to get an idea what is a reasonable goal. Nothing wrong with going that low every now and then if it just happens, but do not aim so low.
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your calorie count/weights are accurate?
  • ilybilmm
    ilybilmm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure! I use the MyFitnessPal app and the EatSmart Precision Pro - Digital Kitchen Scale (I measure everything precisely).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat at least 1200? Do say you can't, because you gained weight eating more than that.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    The real issue here isn't whether or not you are going into "starvation mode" but that you are definitely not getting enough nutrients. You need more food, even being petite, that's not nearly enough.

It is true that when you eat very little you may not lose weight and if you do, it will be muscle, bone, and organ tissue. The main concern here is your health.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level? Do you workout? If so, how much?

You're below your BMR as it is. How far you are below TDEE is anybody's guess at this point. Then there is the whole macro issue.