Stronglifts 5x5 Recommendations...

Options
Hello everyone!

Newbie after a bit of advice please – I have been lifting 3 times a week for approx 6 months. I didn’t start off on any particular programme, just got my BF to write down what he was doing that day and copied with a lot smaller weights! Found a great strength training gym where I feel comfortable and I really enjoy it, so felt I was well on my way.

My biggest issue is that I don’t seem to be getting a lot stronger…I’ve noticed a slight difference in how I look and, following a Xmas blip (i.e. a month off!), I have increased weights on some of my lifts/on some of the machines I use but I still feel like I’m not particularly strong. I see ladies who are a heck of a lot more petite than me (5’ 7’’ and just over 12 stone) happily shoulder pressing away 20kg or squatting 60kg and I feel like giving up!

I’ve decided maybe I need to re-jig what I am doing and really focus on a programme/regime for strength – maybe I have been flitting about too much and really need a focus, so I’ve been considering Stronglifts 5x5.

I came across the sticky thread and have had a good read, I just wondered if anyone else (especially ladies) has tried it and would recommend it?

I’m hoping that if I increase my strength, I can then begin to incorporate more of the excercises I’m doing at the moment back into my routine, as the plan seems quite back to basics.

Overall my goals are to increase strength and build some visible muscle (although I know my diet needs serious work!!)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am on week 11 of stronglifts and I find it very easy to follow and I feel like I am progressing.

I did start with an empty bar apart from squats and deadlifts even though I had been lifting for a while but never really followed a proper programme.

You will get stronger and its really just about consistency.....
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks MissB46!

Did you literally just stick to the plan with no other lifts? I currently do maybe 5/6 lifts/machines per body part (so legs day for e.g. would be squats, calf raises, leg extension, leg curl, leg press and maybe some lunges) so I don't know if I'd feel like I was doing enough?

Although I guess I would feel it if I were managing heavier weights!!!

Also did you do any cardio is addition to your lifts?

Thanks xxx
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The key to stronglifts (for me at least) was to add weight every week to force your to muscles adapt and work harder. In the past I used to just work out with the same weight all the time until I felt stronger and then I'd increase it a little, and I never really saw much of a strength gain.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes. Do it. Do it the way the program is designed. You will absolutely get stronger. Getting bigger will take a Caloric surplus (and quite a bit of time - especially as a woman), but it's definitely possible.

The only "extra" work I'd recommend is if you have any weak spots. But, if you start the program at the lowest possible weight, and with proper form, you should be able to keep things from getting out of proportion. Before too long, you won't want to do anything extra, 5x5 at weights you haven't done before can/will begin to wear you out. Cardio? If you want to. If you don't then don't.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Yes. Do it. Do it the way the program is designed. You will absolutely get stronger. Getting bigger will take a Caloric surplus (and quite a bit of time - especially as a woman), but it's definitely possible.

The only "extra" work I'd recommend is if you have any weak spots. But, if you start the program at the lowest possible weight, and with proper form, you should be able to keep things from getting out of proportion. Before too long, you won't want to do anything extra, 5x5 at weights you haven't done before can/will begin to wear you out. Cardio? If you want to. If you don't then don't.

This

Stick with the program & progressively add weight.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I do this one http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

It's slightly different in that you only do squats on workout A day, you do 5x5 deadlifts instead of 1x5, and you add pull-ups/chin-ups. I like it.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yep, give it a try. You'll see and feel real progress quite quickly. I do SL5X5 and no other lifting, and started with an empty bar. I've only added weight when I've felt comfortable, and only 2.5 kg at a time but I'm still lifting way more than I ever have before or would have even thought possible.
  • luce3003
    Options
    The key to stronglifts (for me at least) was to add weight every week to force your to muscles adapt and work harder. In the past I used to just work out with the same weight all the time until I felt stronger and then I'd increase it a little, and I never really saw much of a strength gain.

I think you've hit the nail on the head...I only seem to increase when I feel like I can do X number of sets/reps comfortably, so with this forcing me to increase it's pushing me beyond my comfort zone. :happy:
  • luce3003
    Options
    Cardio? If you want to. If you don't then don't.

Lol I very rarely WANT to do cardio... :tongue:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is your weight increasing?
    If not, you probably need to eat more.

And yes - as soon as you can do your 5x5 with good form, go up a weight.
    Fine if you can't do 5x5 of those next time. Hopefully however it will be something like 3x5, 1x4, 1x3. Then the time after maybe 4x5 and 1x4 and so on.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I feel the key is with the compound movements, you can progress. Can't really do that with machines. Its for accessory work. After a year of lifting, I haven't touched a machine for accessory, mostly do pull ups or dumbbell work.

I started strong lifts (3x5) before getting a trainer. Now I'm more closely aligned to starting strength and/or 3/5/1 routine. The only real difference is between the rows and clean and presses.

Without a trainer I'm not sure I could have figured out a clean/press on my own.

There is also new rules of lifting for women. (its for ladies)
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love stronglifts. Going into my 4th week. Simple and straight forward and seeing great progress already. I look forward to it each week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    First, there is a whole stronglifts group here on MFP, search for it.

Second, if you use the program, and I highly recommend it, use it as written. It will work and no you don't need to do any other lifts to start. That is the great thing about compound lifts, they work a lot of different muscles all at once. Eventually you will outgrow Stronglifts, but it is a great way to lay do a solid foundation for lifting in the future.Do it.
  • luce3003
    Options
    Is your weight increasing?
    If not, you probably need to eat more.

Since I started lifting I would say I have put on approx 1 stone, although I'm not a big fan of scales so can't be sure what my exact start weight was. Don't know how much is muscle and how much is fat leftover from Xmas though, although my clothes fit the same as pre Xmas now!

I try to ignore what the scales say and judge from pics/measurements but there doesn't seem to be a lot of change, although only been recording since 1st Jan.

I'll definately give it a go anyway, thanks to everyone for thier comments! xxx
  • luce3003
    Options
    Thanks rileysowner I have just found the groups section! xxx
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks MissB46!

Did you literally just stick to the plan with no other lifts? I currently do maybe 5/6 lifts/machines per body part (so legs day for e.g. would be squats, calf raises, leg extension, leg curl, leg press and maybe some lunges) so I don't know if I'd feel like I was doing enough?

Although I guess I would feel it if I were managing heavier weights!!!

Also did you do any cardio is addition to your lifts?

Thanks xxx

I incorporate some push ups, dips and I am also working on my chin ups (incorporating hangs, negatives and inverted rows) at the moment. At this point they are still assisted with crossfit bands but working on it :wink:

But on lifting days I really just do the compound work.

I do cardio too, I tend to stick with HIIT training, I do two Les Mills Grit classes per week and two kettlebell classes per week (kettlebells are my favourites)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try following the program as it is intended. You may feel the workouts are quick and easy initially but once the weight starts increasing you'll soon be feeling whacked by the end of a workout.

To continue progressing you may need to change the increments at which you increase, especially for the smaller lifts such as OHP and bench, where a 2.5 kg / 5lb increase will quickly become too much and lead to stalling. 2.5 lb increases may be better and help facilitate linear progression.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    although only been recording since 1st Jan.
    That's a good start :).

1/4lb a week muscle gain is reasonable - so ideally you want to see a slight upwards TREND (ideally regular measurements graphed etc). If you're not getting this, then you need to eat more.

On the above - I made myself some 0.625kg weights by filling a couple of plastic bags with some old (mechanics) sockets to the right weight on my food scales. That way I could go up just 1.25kg at a time (around 2.5lb) as I didn't have any smaller weights.