Time Mag & Discovery Health Mag say drop the elliptical

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    In reality who gives a ##### what time magazine says!. People will do what works for them and fits in with their fitness goals and for some that will be the elliptical. I always find it strange these short of articles with the sweeping generalisations and the inability to understand that everyone's goals are different
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    "1) The elliptical. I’m not a fan of the elliptical. Not only is it the most boring piece of equipment in the gym, it is also extremely ineffective. First off, the elliptical doesn’t use a natural body motion to work your body. Workouts that use natural motions like running, bending, or jumping are much more effective at toning muscles. Sure, the gliding motion of the elliptical burns calories, but that’s about it. It is also easy to slack off on the elliptical. With the treadmill you at least have to keep up with the pace you set. On the elliptical you start off with guns blazing, and 10 minutes later you are crawling along like a turtle. You are much better off doing a 20-minute cross training circuit (burpees, jumping rope, jumping squats, etc.) than 45 minutes of slogging along on the elliptical. If you are looking for another low impact exercise, try the rowing machine. This will get your heart rate up, and also work your upper body and back."

From the above link
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As is typical for this type of article, you are getting 5% science, 45% ideology, and 50% bull****.

This is what happens when "fitness celebrities" are given a forum instead of "fitness experts".

I'll give her credit--she hits all the required elements of the short program, and parrots all the current cliches:

1. The elliptical is useless because "it does the work for you". Try my elliptical workout and see how easy it is. I don't know what equipment she uses, but every elliptical I have ever seen just sits there useless someone gets on it and moves.

2. Endurance cardio is a waste of time. Yeah, the 1000 calories I burned on Friday was completely pointless. Oddly enough, the endurance workouts that I do always help me to work harder and recover more quickly during my interval and tempo workouts. It doesn't sell videos, but balanced workout routines are very effective and have always been the staple of elite competitors.

3. The dismissal of cardio in favor of strength training, no matter how mediocre the strength training effort. She dismisses a cardio workout that burns 400 calories in favor of a "quick strength training or cross training session" that will "get your heart rate up, burn calories, and develop your lean muscle mass". Except that the type of workouts she describes will likely do none of those things, except burn about 1/2 the calories of the cardio workout. I don't have time to go into all the fail that is included in the one paragraph.

4. The author then wins the Gold Medal for Dilettantism by throwing in the "muscle confusion/increased efficiency burns 1/2 the calories" combo at the end.

But, hey, she's a "TV Personality" and "entrepreneur", so that's all that matters.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I call BS. It's a good cardio workout. It burns calories. I used it primarily when I was a fit and healthy 130 lbs.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    In reality who gives a ##### what time magazine says!. People will do what works for them and fits in with their fitness goals and for some that will be the elliptical. I always find it strange these short of articles with the sweeping generalisations and the inability to understand that everyone's goals are different

Agrees
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong when I say this, but I think that's just her opinion.

The elliptical works for me. The most boring piece of equipment for me is the treadmill and the doctor won't let me anywhere near a treadmill due to my back and knee issues. I have arthritis in my hands, feet, knees, and back and a tilted bone in my back. The doctor told me no treadmill because it's too much pounding on my knees.

People will do and say anything when it doesn't work for them. Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for me.

I need to lose over 100 pounds and I have the pedals for the elliptical in my apartment so I can continue to use it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This article contained a great deal of blanket statements and assumptions without providing any context whatsoever.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I used to use the elliptical a lot, particularly because it burned more calories than most of the things in the gym (like the rowing machine, which I prefered, but when I was totally focused on calories, I would think 'nads to that').

However, it aggravated my plantar fascitis for me due to unnatural gait and speed and would put me out of action for a couple of weeks sometimes. I t took a while for me to make the link between the machine and the pain in my foot.

But that's just me. If it works for you and doesn't cause you problems, go ahead and do it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Worked great for me, I used to ride those things for like an hour. I'd set it to a somewhat difficult resistance and just watch tv and listen to music and I'd be soaked with sweat. Dropped a lot of weight, but that's about it. That's all my goals were at the time though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some of these are good, some of them are not so good. If you can tell which are which, then you really don't need any of the advice the article provides.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm pro-anything that gets our fat butts off the couch. Running, eliptical, weights, cardio, walking the damned dog.... WHO CARES??? Just do SOMETHING! If you enjoy it, who CARES what Time magazine says?!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i use it cause it is not so hard on my knees and ankles. I go 30 minutes on the weight loss setting and set the low resistence to 3 and the high on 6.

i usually burn about 430 cals on it (according to the machine)

it does its job for me.

am i getting sexy legs? probably not but im burning cals and working up a sweat
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In the past I lost ~20lbs and did it primarily using the elliptical. Yes, it can be boring, sure I guess it can "do the work for you" but so can the treadmill (to an extent, unless you add an incline). When I used it I would crank that sucker up to level 15, pump my arms, and aim for keeping my speed at 6rpm. I would do this as long as I could then vary the speed/intensity. I would do this for an hour.
    If I am having a slow day and just want to veg out I will put on Netflix, crank the elliptical up to between 15 - 25 (highest settings vary between the different machines and gyms that I go to) and watch 2 episodes of Being Human. It ends up being about 90min. Could I burn the same amount or more in less time? Sure, but sometimes I don't want to do HIIT or crazy circuits as long as I get sweaty I am happy.
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use my eliptical daily. I go hard for 30-45 minutes. I start with 30 minutes of ab work, followed by an hour of strength training and then do 30-45 minutes on the eliptical and go hard! If someone slacks off and goes slow that is due to their own lack of work ethic or lack of endurance.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Time Mag & Discovery Health Mag can do one!
    At the end of the day if you have a deficit your going to lose weight.
    I use the elliptical 3 times a week with resistance and I am seeing results. I look toned.
    So many people hate the elliptical and are quick to criticise - who the **** cares.
    If you get results you get results - doesn't matter how you got them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was regularly using my elliptical, I was shrinking my waist an inch a week.

Nothing wrong with the elliptical. Though any cardio equipment in the gym is boring, I agree. I prefer to be outside if I can. I have my own elliptical, though, and I can watch TV while I'm on it, which helps with the boredom.
  • TMagical
    Options
    I so badly want my own elliptical. I could stay on it all day and watch TV! I am having a hard time finding one for under $350 though. Sadness.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I so badly want my own elliptical. I could stay on it all day and watch TV! I am having a hard time finding one for under $350 though. Sadness.
    The first one I bought was that cheap, but after one use it was super loud. I sold it for even way cheaper to someone who didn't mind the obnoxious noise and bought a more pricey one. Ellipticals are one of the things that really hold true to "you get what you pay for."

You might have some luck buying used, though.
  • TMagical
    Options
    The first one I bought was that cheap, but after one use it was super loud. I sold it for even way cheaper to someone who didn't mind the obnoxious noise and bought a more pricey one. Ellipticals are one of the things that really hold true to "you get what you pay for."

Yup, I am stalking the crap out of craigslist.
  • rml_16
    Options

Good luck! It's a great thing to have if you use it.

Yup, I am stalking the crap out of craigslist.