People will lie to you about your weight

Options
2»

Replies

• msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't use what other people say as an excuse to stop. That's your choice, has nothing to do with them.

I agree with this but some people's opinions do have an affect on you. My mother does what the poster said all of the time. I have never stopped my weight loss program because of it, but I can be self-conscious after people make comments.

I have thin calves and was always called 'bird' and 'mouse' because of it. When I start to lose weight that is the first thing that comes out of my mother's mouth "your legs are getting too skinny, Bird, I like you better with meat on your bones" Again, I have never stopped losing because of it but some people's words can have an affect on you. I am a bit self-conscious about my thin legs. The older I get I don't care. I am just happy they work! Doesn't make me sensitive or weak to be affected. I am sure a few people will pop in and say that. I am just human.

To the OP just ignore it. You know how you want to look. Some people just want you to fail. Or some people are just like my mother and prefer a few extra pounds on you. But its not what they like or want, its what you want.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    "Lions dont concern themselves with the opinions of Lambs"
    1249287959_lion_hunters.gif
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    My friends/coworkers are all brutally honest. I have spent many an hour lunch talking with my male coworkers about their beauty regiment, and my female coworkers and I regularly discuss the various ways to hide the things we don't like about our bodies. No one ever said "you're not fat", they'd say things like "yeah but your chest!" Or "you've got such nice legs though". Honest compliments. In an attempt to show support for my weightloss a friend offered me a bottle of hydroxy cut he'd bought to cut weight until his "preworkout" pills showed up. Sweet but somehow more offensive.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I hate how people will say you're not fat when you are. Then when you start losing weight and make good progress they tell you that you're too skinny while they're still skinnier than you. This has stopped me from reaching my ideal weight. Anyone else experienced the same crap? I just realized this today, that during my previous weight loss attempts I always stopped because of the lies people told me.

Yes people will **** with your head !!!

Look how you want to look and just ignore these ignorant ppl!!! .. Wait until you do a bulk (if your a guy and lift that is) and then rude *kitten* people in the office go. "I see you stopped working out!!" these are the same duck-o's that were saying you looked skinny like 3 months before.... ppl just don't know how to mind their own business
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I really could not care less what people think of my weight loss. I certainly wouldn't drop my healthier lifestyle, because of what somebody else said.

Unless it's something nice, just ignore what people have to say about your weight loss. You're losing weight for you - not anybody else.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    People on here acting like what people say to them has never affected them ever.......

Anyway as i guy I know exactly what OP is getting at, you can go go from stocky/cuddly to just leaner, and people will call you skinny because you fill a Sweater or shirt less. But the same time you're no where near your goal and will be called skinny before your even in Shirt off beach body shape!
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    People close to me genuinely don't notice I've gained weight , bf excluded. Even now my best mates supposed to be dieting with me and says I look the same, even though over a year and 4 months I have gained a stone and a half and literally dont fit in my old clothes @_@ Dont care about what others say about your weight , unless its a compliment.
  • ibjent
    ibjent Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! Yes I have. It is a terrible feeling for people to tell you that you look "sick" or that you look like you have cancer. And now that I have gained some of my weight back and am trying to loose it again, some have even said, " I hope you don't loose as much as you did last time you looked like you were dying". I was 5'2 and weighed 117 lb, which was exactly the middle ground for height/weight.

So, yeah, you're not alone. However, no one but you has to live with your body and how you feel in it.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I would never allow someone else's perceptions or statements stand in the way of my goals.

I suggest you not, either. Be confident in your self image and self assessment. Take what others say with a grain of salt and a side of reason.
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I want an outside opinion I ask my husband. We have been married for almost 14 years and we are at the point where we can be REALLY honest about that kind of stuff without getting feelings hurt. It also helps we both are on a weight loss journey together. Don't worry about what others say, you know your own body better than anyone!
  • thesevolatiletimes
    Options
    I know it's hard, but try to ignore what other people have to say about your body. Deep down, looking at your habits and your lifestyle, you know whether or not you're being healthy. Besides, one's body size doesn't matter - it's what lies in our brain that matters. As long as you're physically and mentally healthy as can be, keep doin' your thang!

I've actually seen people sabotage those who are trying to lose weight, by telling them that they were 'too skinny'. Everybody (with the exception of myself) in my family is about 300 or so pounds, making them rather overweight, and for some (shorter) members, obese. When my father was obese and trying to lose weight, my mother would sabotage his dietary and exercise efforts by telling him that he was being unhealthy, and that he was loosing too much weight. Looking back on what he was doing, she had no justification in her claims. My father was eating enough, exercising lightly, and losing weight at a healthy pace. Yet, my mother would still criticize every bite he had (or didn't in this case), and his really cheap membership.

I came to realize something ironic though: my mother was still engaging in her unhealthy patterns, and her binge eating. So here she was pointing the finger at my father, while not taking the time or effort to really work on the health of her habits. Slowly, I came to realize that she was saying those things, out of jealously. Since she was unable to really change her lifestyle/lacked the motivation to do so, she dealt with that by trying to bring down those around her who were trying to improve their health. When I first started changing my dietary and exercise habits, she did the same to me for YEARS (i was overweight, in high school when I made the decision to change my diet, and join track to learn how to exercise).

I mean, look at the origin of those comments - calling you fat would only be used to bring you down mentally, and being described as underweight would only serve the purpose of scaring you into not making healthier choices/losing weight. More often than not, when somebody is pointing their finger at you, they fail to realize that they're also pointing three fingers towards themselves.

So while it may be a problem of dysmorphia, it's most likely just somebody who's really jealous of your healthy lifestyle, and is trying to sabotage your efforts.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I totally concur with it being an excuse. I can recognize one easily 'cause I was one who made them ... a lot. It's why after years and years of being obese and yo-yo dieting; I've finally been making it happen - for REAL. I'm on my 114th day of log-in, down 40 lbs, and don't give one single damn what anyone says. The absolute single one thing that has made the difference is stopping with the excuses and taking MY life back - not what others want, expect, or need from me. People can say what they want. Doesn't matter. You can have a bad week and not lose any weight. Doesn't matter; you've still made yourself healthier - you don't get to quit and the scale will move again. You can say oh, it's too hard to cook for just one person. B.S. It's so easy and requires nothing but a few adjustments to make it happen. I could go on and on with excuses people make. While the excuses are different they will all have one thing in common - they all came from man's opinion. Someone said something to someone and it stuck in their head and then they passed it on and then that person passed it on and down the telephone line it goews. Every diet/fitness excuse to not make it happen wouldn't exist if we'd stop putting each other down and being jealous of one another. The only reason anyone is telling you you're too skinny when you know you still weigh too much is because they're jealous that you're doing it and they're not. Simple.They want to stop you so they can continue to do nothing but still feel good about themselves. You can either let someone else's jealousy stop you and allow yourself to remain fat and unhealthy just so they can feel good about themselves or you can tell them it's none of their damn business and carry on with your business. People like that are not friends, they're not helpful, they're nothing and therefore it's of no consequence to you to tell them to shove it.

I've had the full gamut of people; one told me I was getting "puny as hell" even though I still weighed over 200 lbs. Ha. Puny I was not! Clearly, I knew that being over 200 was not OK and his words meant nothing as he sat on his fat *kitten* eating a cheeseburger. I've had others who haven't said a word. They act like they don't notice. They don't even acknowledge what is a very obvious weight loss. For some people, that can be an excuse as well - they think oh, well, no one even notices so what's the point? The point is the same; omission can be a jealous factor just as much as comission - if they don't acknowledge that you're rockin' the hell out of a new, fit life, they can still pretend that theirs is OK. But the point remains the same - it's another human's jealous factor trying to destroy you because they're too weak to do anything for themselves. Some have asked me how I'm doing it but then argue with me over my methods.They try and break down my methods; I'm eating too little and it's not good for me or eating too much of one thing and not another and it's not good for me and on and on - again, all while sitting there eating their fast food or packaged food and doing the exact opposite of their own advice. If they didn't want to hear it, why did they ask in the first place? It's a passive-aggressive tactic. They just want to look friendly while tearing you down but it's still rooted in jealousy. Most people have a sick need to be superior but not actually BE superior. They want it but don't want to EARN it. They get it by cutting down and stealing it from others and saying that you can't do something because of such stupid opinions is nothing more than an excuse because, when you really break it down and look at it logically - it means nothing to you and should not be stopping you.
  • brookeiva90
    brookeiva90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had someone tell me I was getting too skinny years ago when I dropped a bunch of weight and at the time I was in the healthy range. I think for some people (like myself) people get use to seeing you at a certain weight and anything less than that or significantly less than that is just such a change people arent use to it especially if you have been bigger for a long time!
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The fact is people DO NOT LIKE CHANGE. I don't get it since life is all about change but it's how you adapt to it all that makes a difference.

I was nearly 200 pounds and I remember declining pizza from people and having them get upset with me because I "didn't need to lose weight." I had major PCOS bleeding and knew losing weight could help but more people kept telling me "but you look GREAT!". I'm like seriously, do you not see these pants are tight on me? My huffing and puffing to do activity?

When you are overweight you are just like them. The reality of it all is people who are healthy and are at a healthy weight for their body type are not common. It is more common to eat poorly and be overweight and to do the opposite is a form of standing out.

I'm so glad my husband is supportive of this now. It makes it easier to tell everyone else to STFU.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My husband is great. He loves me whatever size I am, and doesn't comment either way. He's mentioned once that he thinks it's great I'm losing weight, but that's it.

On the other hand, I've had coworkers tell me "you look different" or ask when the baby's due (bless 'em), and both times I just said "no, not different/pregnant, just fat"..

But seriously, people have no idea how painful their innocent little comments can be, so I absolutely trust the numbers on the scale - they don't lie, and, even though it's not perfect, my BMI will tell me if I'm in the right ballpark. It's a bunch of numbers, totally devoid of emotion or opinion and won't lie.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    There's really good info in the replies. Thanks everyone - it's really motivating me to do this FOR me and not anyone else. I'm gonna save this in a doc file to motivate me :).