Almond Milk - which one and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I occasionally buy Aldi store brand (Friendly Farms) unsweetened original almond milk. It's cheap, tasty, and has fewer calories than cow's milk. I also just love milk in general and still buy dairy all the time -- so I am not saying "oooh switch to almond milk" but I haven't really found anything yet that didn't work equally well with almond milk (when cooking, baking, etc). As for the health benefits I really dunno.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink soy, but my husband prefersalmond milk, so we always have it and I sometimes drink it. We've been buying Silk brand, but I had a good coupon for Blue Diamond recently, so bought that. I can't tell much difference in taste or content. We get the lightly sweetened kind (either 60 or 40 cal per cup - I can't always find the 40 cal).
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's store brand vanilla unsweetened almond milk.... It tastes the best of any that I've tried.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What on earth is carrageenan?!

Carrageenan, an additive to many food products, has been flagged by scientists and doctors as a harmful substance that causes ulcers, inflammation, and other gastrointestinal problems. This chart showing how to avoid the thickening agent carrageenan, which may have links to gastrointestinal illnesses, is courtesy of cornucopia.org.

Carrageenan is actually derived from red seaweed.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Silk Vanilla...

Cause it taste good...
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The one that's on sale. Why? I like saving money and the difference between the best almond milk and the worst is hard to discern.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Carrageenan, an additive to many food products, has been flagged by scientists and doctors as a harmful substance that causes ulcers, inflammation, and other gastrointestinal problems. This chart showing how to avoid the thickening agent carrageenan, which may have links to gastrointestinal illnesses, is courtesy of cornucopia.org.

this is why i stopped doing almond milk and went for full fat kefir instead. no lactose, all the good probiotics, and while it doesn't work in your cereal, it's awesome in shakes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    provamel - you can get it in little individual drink cartons too
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a fan of the hybrid coconut/almond milk. Hard to find, though. I think it's a bit tastier, and about the same calories.

This sounds amazing! I am going to have to look for it!
    I am a HUGE fan of the SO Coconut Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla. I find it at my WalMart, RIGHT NEXT TO THIS ^^^^ (the almond/coconut blend) I have to say that I am NOT a fan of the almond milk or the a/c blend, it seems to have a funky aftertaste to me, but we are all different. I choose the Coconut milk PURELY on my personal taste. I buy it in the shelf stable cartons as opposed to the cartons from the refrigerator, but both are available here in my VERY rural NW corner of MT. (and usually my choices are very limited here.)
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Just want to say that it's actually used to treat ulcers, it hasn't been shown that it causes them from what I've been reading.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Breeze because there's usually a sale or coupon where we shop. My husband and I go through about 4 cartons a week, so price is definitely my main priority! But I have tried the Silk and enjoyed the taste and texture more than others I've tried.

yup thats mee. and its delicious. The chocolate one is awesome in my smoothie. I also like Silk soy milk too. But I find the almond milk to usually be more cost effective.