Getting started sucks

Options
I started this thing yesterday and I'm pretty excited about doing it but I've been hungry for 48 hours. My stomach hurts and I'm really cranky and irritable. I know it'll probably get easier as time goes by but for the time being, I feel like I'm going to crack. Help!

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    drink lots of water! it will fill you up :) and do something to get your mind off food! clean your place, go for a walk, organize something, take a shower, take a bunch of "before" pictures of yourself, go window shop somewhere... do anything to keep your mind off eating, because otherwise, it will drive you mad!
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Can I just say - YOU SHOULDN'T BE HUNGRY!!! If you're hungry, eat. I know it's hard, but try choosing something low cal that will fill you up. A glass of milk, some cereal, fruit, veggies. I like to snack on cucumber or yogurt when I'm hungry and I feel better. Being hungry will make you eat bad food and feel guilty about it, then eat more bad food. Trust me, I know. It's a vicious cycle!

Good luck!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Yeah, the first week or so was hard for me. I was going from around 3000 calories a day (guesstimate) to 1500 so I was hungry those first few days. Drink lots and lots of water. When you're tempted to eat, and you don't have the calories left, get busy and you''ll be surprised that the temptation will pass. Don't worry though, it does get better and your body adjusts.

Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well it gets harder, then it get easier. It took me about two weeks of feeling like my body was eating itself. Now, I have to force myself to eat my daily calories.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Or drink a cup of hot tea...zero calorie
  • JessicaPahl
    Options
    try drinking lots of Great Value Brand Grape drink (its walmarts generic crystal lite) it will keep you full give you the water you need and it tastes exactly like grape koolaide!! love love it.. try to make your meals smaller and healthier so you can eat more frequently throughout the day.. it will get easier! good luck and keep your chin up! you got this!
  • rockonerin
    Options
    kelseyt17, I can't even imagine having to remind myself to eat all my calories! That would be an INCREDIBLE problem for me to have.

I'm trying to drink lots of water but (as lame as this sounds) fighting back tears. I know taking the first step is huge but I have SO far to go. Ugh!

Thanks for all the kind words.
  • allyson223
    Options
    I had the exact same issue! Here is what I was told and it helped me tremendously: Work your way down. Learning to eat healthy is a process. Don't starve yourself! If you are hungry constantly you won't stick with it. So if you started around (let's just say) 3000 calories. For the first week try cutting down to just 2000, then the next week 1500, or even slower if you need. Making a slower and less dreadful process will really help you stick with it in the long run.

I'm just speaking from experience, it may work for you too. I started and was unable to keep going because I was HUNGRY! and cranky and everything that goes along with it! I really would recommend easing yourself into it! 20 lbs down and I am so happy I did it that way! Good Luck!
  • rockonerin
    Options
    Thanks allyson223! It takes a gentle reminder that Rome wasn't built in a day so I probably won't get my dream body in a day either. And nikki91950 - I'm gonna try to occupy myself with taking some "before" pictures.

Thanks, ladies!
  • alley2812
    Options
    I'm feeling your pain! I started today, and all I could do at work today was think about dinner! I did drink a TON of water today, which has helped me in the past when I felt hungry...plus it's good for you, so double bonus! One of my other goals besides getting into shape is reading more, so I'm planning to occupy my time and my mind with that. I'm determined to stick with this, so hopefully, once these first few days/weeks are over it will be a lot easier and I won't be as tempted to steal my coworker's food out of the fridge at work :)
  • peachyolives
    peachyolives Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're hungry! What I try to do is make sure I workout almost everyday so that I can eat a little more than usual (no matter what I eat, if I only have 1200 calories I Will be hungry). Also, protein is an appetite suppressant so I would recommend eating more protein (I actually have a protein bar for breakfast every morning after I workout). You can also get protein from all types of meat and eggs.

I hope this helps! You can do it!

And if you're still hungry, just try to lose weight a little more slowly by upping your calories per day.