Best training option for newbie

Options
Hi there. I am a 6'0 male at the front end of a long road of weight loss. Started MFP 1/8/14 and I'm currently teetering between 310-313, with a goal of being a ripped 200. I hurt my knee (dislocation) early this month by running too much. I guess it was too much weight for my knees to bear. It was disappointing because i was running 3 minutes walking 3 minutes for a half hour, and that was a huge accomplishment for me. So I'm back to walking 3-5 miles a day and counting my calories.

ANYWAY, I really feel like I need to start lifting weights to not make my weight loss so dependent on cardio. I was looking at hiring a personal trainer, but boy is it expensive and I think I found one priced very reasonably at $27/hr. I've also been shopping craigslist for used weights to consider putting them in my basement (Olympic weight set, bench, squat rack, 10-25 lbs dumbells) . I've also looked at Crossfit as an option, as it costs about 1/5 of what I would have to pay a personal trainer and 1/10 of the cost of building my own "used gym". I also have very limited experience with weights so I think having some professional training would be good.

One of my concerns is if I need to lose more weight before I seriously consider Crossfit? How much should a 6 foot male weigh before I start a training program like that?

I am also interested in whatever advice you would offer around how to start weight training, safely and economically.

Thanks in advance,

Rilla

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a good program and you'll find that those involved in it will defend it to the death. I do Crossfit workouts now and then (I have a friend who is an instructor, so I don't have to join a box or pay a fee.....we just do the workouts for fun) and they kick my *kitten*. They do a lot of moves that could be difficult on your knees right now (box jumps, burpees, etc).

If you're new to lifting, maybe you should consider a program like Strong Lifts first? That way, you can shed the fat and weight, learn to lift, and work at a slightly slower pace (without risking your knees).

Plus, Strong Lifts is free and you don't need a trainer to do it. You could always hire one for a session or two to show you proper form (be sure to be very upfront about what you want) and then work on it yourself. You can even download an app to help track your progress.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Hi Rilla,

It's awesome that you're looking to get into weight training. It's also a good investment to get a trainer to teach you the ropes on form and whatnot.

I find very often that you get what you pay for with personal trainers, however. Most trainers I know that only charge $27 are either very, very new (not always a bad thing) or aren't very good. Personal training is expensive, though, you're right about that!

I would recommend interviewing trainers at the Crossfit gym you're looking at, as well as any trainers your considering hiring VERY thoroughly before you make your decision. I will include a guide at the bottom of my response for how to hire the best trainer possible.

If you're looking to be ripped, you absolutely need to get into lifting weights, and sooner rather than later. Overweight beginners are a special class of people that can possibly build muscle while losing fat at the same time. The thing is, with your knee injury, weight and lack of experience, having a good trainer is CRITICAL! If you are going to go this route, use my guide below.

Alternatively, educate yourself a bit about weight training. A good beginner lifting program is Starting Strength, as many members here point out.

[When should you hire a trainer?]

Many of my own clients come to me for accountability and consistency reasons. However that's certainly not the only service we provide. You might consider a trainer if:

You have no idea how to get started with improving your fitness (especially if you're looking to get stronger)
    You have a general idea of what you'd like to do, but not sure if your form is correct.
    You need the accountability until working out becomes a habit
    You want someone else to handle structuring your workouts so you don't have to think about it. (online training programs are great for this)
    You have a specific injury or condition and you want to be sure you're training safely.

There are other reasons, but those are the most common I've seen.

[Step 1 - Fancy Acronyms and First Impressions]

Often people will ask about what kinds of certifications they should look for in a trainer, or what kind of degree would be best. In the end, it doens't matter that much. Whether a trainer took a crappy weekend course to get their certification or they took a semester-long college-level course to prepare for their test (like me), none of it guarantees the trainer knows what they're doing.

So as far as what letters to look for on their business card? Associations like NASM, ACE, ACSM and NSCA are generally considered 'higher up there,' but again it doesn't guarantee a good trainer. The courses don't teach even 10% of what one needs to know.

If the trainer has a website, take some time to explore it to see if you jive with their general message and mission. If they promise rapid fat loss, be extra careful. Sometimes this is just them bowing to effective marketing tactics, but it could also mean they only care about dat cash and not your long-term health.

[Step 2 - The Consult]

This is going to be the best time to figure out if this trainer is worth your time. Bring A LOT of quesitons. I've only ever had one client ask me what my qualifications were - your trainer should be pleasantly surprised that you care.

Some potential questions to ask:

If I can't do a squat/push-up/pull-up properly, how would you regress it?
    I have . What sorts of exercises would you avoid giving me?
    How would you work around ?
    What's your training philosophy?
    How did you get into personal training?
    How do you train yourself?
    Do you have any current / past clients I can talk to?
    What is your biggest strength and weakness as a trainer?
    If I can't come into the gym for sessions consistently, how will you help me continue seeing results?

If you have specific conditions or any other miscellaneous training contraindictions, let them know and ask them how they would handle it!

[Step 3 - After you've hired them]

Hopefully you scared away all the crappy trainers with your awesomely incessent questions, but just in case you didn't, here's how to know your money is being well-spent:

Is the trainer extremely attentive to your form?
    Do they really listen to your questions and concerns?
    Do you ever feel 'brushed off' or not taken seriously?
    Is their cell phone very, very far away unless they use it as a clock / timer?
    If you are unable to perform a certain exercise properly, do they quickly provide an appropriate alternative?
    Do you feel that you're getting stronger / making progress towards your goals? (this can be hard to say if it's only been a few weeks)
    Are you enjoying the process?
    Do your personalities jive well together?
    Do you feel that you're being helped by a professional, and not just having a friendly hour-long chat session with some squats in between?

If all checks out after that, congratulations! Sounds like you've got a solid trainer.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started and making great progress. There are so many options for you that are very cost effective. In the beginning stages you are in, you could pursue bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups assisted, etc. You could get in the pool and swim or simply tread water, (i saw your profile re the goal of a triathlon), you could go to gym and just stick to the basics on either machines or free weights, almost any of these methods will help get your muscles engaged and helping to burn calories. IMO the goal of getting your muscles involved will help speed up your weight loss. Find something you like and will keep doing as this is a marathon and not a sprint so over time if you hate it you wont do it... Be disciplined on your calories and consistent in your cardio/strength and you should hit your goals. Good luck...
  • tmcleod22553
    Options
    Rilla,

I am in nearly the same position as you. I was 290+ when I started and am at 248 now. I am dropping @ 5 lb a week with a low fat diet and exercise. I believe that the exercise is the what is making this possible. My wife and I joined Koko Fit and in 5 weeks of membership, I dropped 29 pounds and she has dropped about 15. The beauty of Koko Fit is hat you don't need an expensive personal trainer. You get the benefit of a personal trainer since your workout is designed to meet your needs, in my case fat burning, and it tracks your progress. I do strength training 3 days a week with either 15 or 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of just cardio the other 4 days. I am on a low fat (<15g/day) diet and am getting exceptional results. My goal is 200 lbs and a BMI that is within the healthy range.

Good luck! You just have to figure out a plan and stick with it.
  • RillaMonsoon
    RillaMonsoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all.

@ Kattimus. Great advice and information. The trainer I am looking it is cheap, but he's also an instructor at NPTI and is a Beachbody Coach (not that means as much). Without being disrespectful, I look at the cost some trainers charge and I chuckle. It seems to me that $27/hr or the equivalent of $60k/annually is a pretty good living. It seems like many trainers want to work 4-6 hour days and make that much or more so they charge $60-90 hr. That is just the cynic in me. I've interviewed several, including close friends and he was the one I was most impressed by, based on his credentials and experience.

@Lora I'll look into Strong Lifts

@tmcleod I'll look at Koko Fit