unsupportive family

Options
my family are big, and when I decided I wanted to lose weight - I'm 18 and live at home - they got angry. They say I should love the way I am, and if I'm fat then they must be fat. The thing is, they ARE fat -and they want me to stay that way.

I've been trying to eat healthily but they keep heaping more onto my plate, and offering me food. I've lost almost 20lb so far but really have around 30lb to go before I'm at my healthiest weight. I've never really been thin but I want to do this for me.

How can I ask them to support me? Or, failing that, how can I hide my eating habits from them? They get personally affronted if I eat a salad, and their constant comments are making me want to give up. I'm moving out in September, but want to have lost at least 20lb by then.
Thanks

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Let them be affronted. You can choose what goes in your mouth. If they put extra servings of food on your plate, don't eat them. You've already got a plan to move, so let them say what they want and just monitor what you consume.
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let them be angry and insulted. TAKE CARE OF YOU, not their feelings. Eat for YOU. Exercise for YOU.

Maybe when then see the happy, healthy YOU they will think twice.
  • lynnmarie96
    lynnmarie96 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't have an unsupportive family, however because I did used to suffer with an eating disorder, my Mum is a little skeptical about what I eat and what exercise I do. You are 18, you are an adult and it's up to you what you put in your mouth, I'd ensure them that you are doing this for health benefits rather than to lose weight (even if it is for weight loss), that way they'll be much more willing to support you, as they should have your health at heart :)

Good luck xo
  • lynnmarie96
    lynnmarie96 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Let them be angry and insulted. TAKE CARE OF YOU, not their feelings. Eat for YOU. Exercise for YOU.

Maybe when then see the happy, healthy YOU they will think twice.

100% agree!
  • LiveMore101
    LiveMore101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while too. They got upset if I had a salad for lunch, while they went and had Hardee's. Out of my family, I'm the only one that I've seen so far who has lost weight and is still trying. My family doesn't have the strongest motivation and so I think when they see me doing it, they become jealous. On my dad's side especially, his family is big, and I knew that if I continued my eating habits along with that side of the family, I'd end up like them. I didn't want that. I want and CHOOSE to be healthy, fit, and active. If your family has a problem with that, even if they keep tearing you down, I'm going to tell you now... DO NOT QUIT! You will feel worse if you do. And maybe once you prove to them that you are happier and healthier, they might admire the change and not care so much anymore. My family constantly tells me that I should love me for who I am, no matter the weight. But the thing is, we can control our weight. WE can make the decision on what we want to see on that scale and what we want to eat every day. When you get the point of being 18 or older, your parents and family need to realize that YOU are in control of yourself. They aren't any longer, no matter how hard it is to see and understand that.
    Treat yourself every once in a while. Splurge a bit. It's been about 2 months for me, and I've lost 9 pounds, even though I kind of binged and overate more than I wanted to. You can have desserts and hamburgers if you want, but moderately.

I encourage you to keep going. Don't do anything too drastic or unhealthy, but get to where YOU want.

Keep it up! :)
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I dont have a great support system either and its hard to be around my family becaues they simply dont care. YOU need to do what is right for you, even if that is hard. At the end of the day it affects them in no way what you eat, or how you exercise.... but it does affect you at the end of teh day. Dont give up... keep pushing through until septemeber :)
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If they are angry, then deep down they know they have a problem and don't like you showing that to them. keep going, and you won't have too even try and you may end up motivating them. For a while my family was pretty unsupportive, they didnt want to change anything. I never asked them to, I just asked for them to help me by getting some food i can eat. and now they're buying healthier foods without me there to grab it, and eating them too.
  • nanaofnc
    nanaofnc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that your family is not only NOT supporting you, but actually making it more difficult for you by their comments and actions. It's one thing to not be supportive, but actually adding more to your plate, etc. is not acceptable.

I was truly happy to see you mention you will be moving out in September. In the meantime, stick to your food plan and keep coming here to MFP for support. I agree with the other comments ... do this for YOU!

I'm sending you a friend request, and even though we are way different in age (I'm 66), I'd love to help in any way I can.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    If they are angry, then deep down they know they have a problem and don't like you showing that to them. keep going, and you won't have too even try and you may end up motivating them.

This. The only reason they are upset is because they know they have a problem but unlike you don't want to do anything about it.

It's YOUR body. Keep on doing what you are doing for YOU. And like you said, you'll be moving out in September so you won't have to put up with it for long. Just keep doing what you are doing. Let them be mad.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an uphill battle for sure! This is your body and thus your choice to make healthier choices though. Let them get mad, The changes you experience may outline the fact that they also should be making changes, and that can affect especially negative people. It may eventually inspire them to better health too though.

Stay strong. Say "no thank you." Offer them salad, and just smile if they accept or reject it. :) Good luck dear. This is your battle now get out there and FIGHT IT! RAWR.
  • LaurenPell123
    LaurenPell123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I completely know what you mean
    When I come home from uni I have to go out and restock the fridge with things I want to eat instead of living on bread and chocolate.
    At first my parents were just like yours, they really didn't like how I was eating and told me constantly.
    I sat down with them and explained everything, why I was doing it and that I was still eating enough, and eventually they've given up trying to stop me. Now I just wish they would follow my lead and help themselves too
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is sad that your family isn't supportive. You would think that they would want better for you and be proud that you are trying to take care of yourself. I'm betting a lot of it is feeling threatened by your changes. It is probably making them think about their own issues and weight. They are jealous you have enough motivation and drive to take care of yourself.

That being said, I agree with everyone else... Let them be offended and do this for you. You have to live with your body the rest of your life, not them. if they don't want to take care of their body, then they'll have to deal with those consequences.

I applaud you for sticking with it and losing what you have so far without their support. Add friends on here and find others who will give you that support. Stick to the good habits you are learning. There's nothing wrong with not eating something they try to force on you. I've said no to plenty of things, plenty of times.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between "loving me the way I am" and being unhealthy. To me, loving me the way I am means accepting my body type and not agonizing that I don't look like Twiggy or some other rediculous model type. I'm short, I'm stocky (thanks for the big bones, dad!), I have broad hips and shoulders and large boobs. This isn't going to change no matter how much weight I lose. I can love my body the way it's built but that doesn't mean I have to be "fat" or unhealthy. The "acceptable" weight for my height (5'4) is 108-132 lbs (http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html), but I know that if I got down even close to 132, I would be all skin and bones. That wouldn't be "healthy" for me. The smallest I ever was was 170 lbs and I looked really good. I was healthy and in shape. I loved me the way I was.

edit: So keep it up! We are with you!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're family took your weight loss so personally. My mom's side of the family used to make remarks about my weight as a kid, but would heap portions onto my plate that were WAAAY too big for me.

Try to serve yourself, and if at all possible, use a smaller plate (I used to do this to allow less room for Aunt Irene to pile on extra goodies LOL).

Can you change your schedule (not sure if you work, go to school) so your meal time is at a different time?

Do NOT lose your cool when they pressure you to eat something unhealthy.

You can always make the attempt to explain WHY you want to lose weight, make it clear this is something for your OWN health reasons. But there's no guarantee they'd understand.

Btw, congratulations on your loss thus far! I hope you're family comes around! Good luck!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My family is both supportive and unsupportive. Only they don't realize where they are unsupportive. Now they don't throw food on my plate but my dad made fun of me when I was fat and now he makes fun of me that I am smaller and because I weigh everything and ask them to weigh my food if I'm not there when they fix it. I'm 40 and don't live there but am going through financial difficulties so I eat there a lot. Since they feed me I don't complain about what they fix, I just eat smaller portions of it. And they are really big on sweets so I will bring desert home, eat a couple of bites, and then give the rest to my dogs as a treat. My mom used to be truly hurt if I turned down food but now she sees how I've changed physically and mentally. Maybe in a few months your family will see that to when you can do more and are more active.

Also, you can always buy and prepare your own food. If I don't like what my family is cooking I fix something at home, when I need to cook at their house I fix something there and clean up after myself. Be proactive live that.

Good luck.
  • crazyferretperson
    Options
    hi i now how you feel im 18 and live with my grandperants and my sister . my sister does all the cooking and she has tryed lossing weight before she change all are meals to healthy meals but when she stop she change are meals back to normal which is annoying because i started to try to loss weight but some of the meals she cooks has to much fat in them but she dont care :grumble:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My children are very supportive.... however, the rest of my family is not. My mother will refuse to cook herself her own dinner if she doesn't like what I cook and then stomp and huff and pout about it like a child. I ignore her and let her know that there's plenty of veg in the fridge, lean protein in the freezer and moderate carb, sugar and sodium choices in the pantry. If she doesn't like it then she can eat an air sammich. I buy the food in the household, so that helps. I also moderate how often there's fast food or restaurant food in the house. It's rare.. but it does happen. My family thinks I'm stupid and 'wasting money' on something that 'isnt going to be long-term'. They think I'm a 'bad mother' for having my kids (willingly and gladly) do 5k's with me (we run & walk). They say that I spend too much time away from home the 2 evenings a week where I go to workout - but that's just because I'm not there to solve all their problems and wait on them hand & foot. Again, this is NOT my children, but other members of my family. I really don't care what they think. I'm grown. I have a job... I have a home.... I have 2 reasonably well-adjusted, active, smart, talented, unique and healthy children... I am my own person and they can not change that with their negativity.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I agree with the other replies - do this for YOU. If your family insists on heaping food onto your plate politely but firmly tell them no thank you. Assure them that you are eating enough and want to get healthy. Can you offer to make dinner one night and let them see how flavorful healthy food can be? Or would they just complain about it? Try inviting them to join you in exercising - take a walk around the neighborhood etc.

Good luck with you journey and stick with it. Hopefully they will get on board too.
  • ctfullen
    ctfullen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are they offended because you aren't eating the same thing as you are? Maybe if you tried cooking a healthy meal or two for the family each week would they eat it? Or just turn their noses up at the healthy meal?