What exactly are the 'toxins' lemon water flushes out?

Options
(First off don't get me wrong, i drink this myself everyday haha)

But anyhow, i see all these articles telling me that they flush out toxins from the body and whatnot but not a single article has said what these are. I've always assumed that the body does a pretty good job at doing this by it's self.
It would just be interesting if anyone could enlighten me if they know what genuine effects lemon water has and if anyone who has tried it has noticed good benefits :)

Do you believe the hype?

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No. I don't believe the hype of "cleanses" or "detox" diets or anything... Because, you're right. My body has a really good filtration system in place!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking it if you like the taste, (I love it!) but do not for one second buy into the bull that it "detoxes" or "cleanses" you in any special way. It doesn't. There is a very specific reason no one can seem to come up with any specific type or name of toxin that it helps to flush out...because none exist. :laugh:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But anyhow, i see all these articles telling me that they flush out toxins from the body and whatnot but not a single article has said what these are. I've always assumed that the body does a pretty good job at doing this by it's self.
    It would just be interesting if anyone could enlighten me if they know what genuine effects lemon water has and if anyone who has tried it has noticed good benefits :)

Do you believe the hype?
    They never tell you what those "toxins" are because they don't know themselves. It's bull.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do you believe the hype?

Your evil common sense and rationale thinking toxins
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    They're a natural diuretic. That's pretty much it. Like all diuretics, if you have edema, reducing the edema also removes some salt - maybe that's what they mean by 'toxins' :laugh:

Your instincts are right, they're full of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Do you believe the hype?

The same toxins that drinking water flushes...

Personally I like a little lemon in my water because it tastes good and plain water can get boring...but it isn't doing anything more for you than just drinking water and letting your body do its job.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you have Candida in your system then you need help to get rid of the toxins and the lemon water helps.
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to be of the mind from prior fitness experience that Vitamin C binds with free radicals and flushes them out. A free radical could be anything from car exhaust or...eh, foreign bodies such a cold and flu yuckies??? Toxins come in many forms. Toxins could be in your system from wine or cigarette smoking, nitrates...etc.
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    From my understanding, lemon juice is touted as a "detox" ingredient because it supports liver health, and the liver is the main organ in charge of detoxification. As to "what" toxins it is affecting, it would be all of them- drugs, pollution, chemicals, pesticides, etc. Anything that is processed and metabolized through the liver. Here's a study that shows how lemon is protective of the liver: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13880200701214995

I've also read that the citric acid in lemon juice aids digestion, which could help the body detox in two ways:
    1. Easing the burden on the liver to produce digestive juices, and/or
    2. Helping waste move through the body faster, so less toxins are absorbed in the intestines.
    I couldn't find any studies to support those claims, however.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    http://www.drugs.com/npp/lemon.html
    In the 1600s, physicians became aware that daily intake of lemon juice would prevent outbreaks of scurvy among sailors on long sea voyages. English ships were required by law to carry enough lemon or lime juice for each sailor to get 1 ounce daily, earning them the nickname “limeys.”

Lemon juice has long been used as an astringent, diaphoretic, diuretic, gargle, lotion, and tonic. 3 Application of lemon juice in conjunction with exposure to sunlight was once thought to fade tattoos, but this theory was disproven. Lemon has also been used externally for acne, fungus (ringworm and athlete's foot), sunburn, and warts.

Uses and Pharmacology
    Pharmacologically, the lemon is primarily important for its vitamin C and potassium content. Epidemiological studies associate the intake of citrus fruit with a reduction in the risk of various diseases.

Antioxidant effects
    German studies in the late 1980s related this effect to the peel. 4 The pectin fiber and lemon oil also possess antioxidant properties.

One group of researchers, having identified eriocitrin, hesperidin, and coumarins as antioxidants, pursued experiments in diabetic rats, and venous endothelial cells, as well as in activated Epstein-Barr virus models. Antioxidant mechanisms include the inhibition of radical formation and radical scavenging. Clinical trials are lacking.

Cancer
    In an experiment with the flavonoid eriocitrin and its metabolites 19 and with coumarins extracted from lemon fruit, 11 apoptosis has been demonstrated in acute myelomonocytic leukemia cells.

A meta-analysis of epidemiological studies associates the consumption of citrus fruit with a larger protective effect against oral cancer (odds ratio [per doc] 0.38; 95% confidence interval 0.26 to 0.56) than with overall fruit consumption. The structure of various chemical constituents of lemon and their relationship to cancer prevention has been investigated.

Nephrolithiasis
    Lemon juice has been shown to increase citrate levels in patients with hypocitraturic calcium nephrolithiasis in a small, long-term trial (mean duration, 44.4 months); 120 mL diluted lemon juice containing 5.9 g consumed daily resulted in a clinically important reduction in stone formation.

Other uses
    Lemon juice and lemon oil have been evaluated for antimicrobial action. The oil shows some bacteriostatic and antiviral action thought to be due to citral and linalool content. Lemon has been shown to inhibit the growth of Aspergillus mold, and has been used to disinfect drinking water and to inactivate rabies virus.

The sperm-immobilizing properties of lemon juice have been investigated as a potential topical vaginal contraceptive. Lemon juice accelerated the transit of tetrofosmin through the liver parenchyma and improved myocardial imaging in a small study.

Dosage
    Clinical information is limited. To increase citrate levels, 120 mL of lemon juice, containing citric acid 5.9 g, was diluted and consumed daily.

Pregnancy/Lactation
    Generally recognized as safe when used as food. Avoid dosages above those found in food because safety and efficacy are unproven.

Interactions
    Chloroquine plasma concentrations may be reduced, decreasing the therapeutic effect. Lemon juice may increase iron absorption.

Adverse Reactions
    Lemon juice may cause loss of gloss, alteration in enamel color, and irregular dental tissue on tooth enamel.

Anaphylactic allergy to lemon soap has been reported resulting from a possible cross sensitivity of citrus seed to peanut allergen.

Citrus juice is often implicated in the worsening of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms. However, no effect on lower esophageal sphincter pressure was demonstrated in a small study, and the effects are not considered to be related to fruit juice acidity.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i felt like this all the harsh truth i needed to hear haha
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking it if you like the taste, (I love it!) but do not for one second buy into the bull that it "detoxes" or "cleanses" you in any special way. It doesn't. There is a very specific reason no one can seem to come up with any specific type or name of toxin that it helps to flush out...because none exist. :laugh:

the main main reason i drink it is definitely because of the taste and nothing else, i just had this slight glimmer of hope that there would be some icing on the cake to make it even better :laugh:
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Lemons have anti-oxidants, which help remove free radicals. Drinking water is necessary in order to get your body to detox. So, drinking lemon water does help clean your system, however no more than just drinking water and eating fruit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

the main main reason i drink it is definitely because of the taste and nothing else, i just had this slight glimmer of hope that there would be some icing on the cake to make it even better :laugh:
    If absolutely nothing else, it does have vitamin C. Plain water doesn't. So there is SOME icing....
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If absolutely nothing else, it does have vitamin C. Plain water doesn't. So there is SOME icing....

If you mix it with powdered sugar, it makes a wonderful glaze.. so that's kind of icing! :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Detox diets flush out logic.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The sperm-immobilizing properties of lemon juice have been investigated as a potential topical vaginal contraceptive
    :noway: Sounds awfully harsh for the poor chacha and hoo-dingie