Cooking when you have a family

Options
2»

Replies

• Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I will add my two cents worth to this.

If your husband doesn't like what you cook, then maybe he should do some of the cooking! Depending on the ages of your kids, I would say the same thing (only if they are old enough of course! I have teenagers) Otherwise, if you are the one preparing the meals then the family can "take it or leave it". If you are preparing healthy, well balanced meals, then that isn't imposing any crazy "diet" on the family, but rather encouraging healthy eating all around.

If you try to incorporate everyone's "Healthy" favourites throughout the week then hopefully they will all get on board.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make slight variations to the meal i make for them. I am a low carb-er, so not all of these will work for you. But I hope it helps!

Family gets spagetti. I make french cut green beans or asparagus as a side. I just the veggies as noodles for my own personal plate.

Tacos. Family gets the normal tacos, I make taco lettuce wraps for myself.

Hamburgers. I just eat mine without the bun.

And I'm always finding recipes that works for all of us! Some of my favorites:

Chicken enchiladas. I just place chicken and green chili sauce in a slow cooker all day. Serve on low carb tortillas with cheese.

Salsa chicken. Chicken rubbed with taco seasoning, baked, and served with salsa on top.

Stuffed bell peppers. Honestly.. I just stuff beef, cheese, onions, or whatever else i can find in them.

And when all else fails, alter your shopping list. There is alway a pork loin or two on mine. Everyone loves these. Roast go on sale at Kroger for BOGO free atleast once a month. I stock up on these and have many many different healthy slow cooker recipes.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    We all eat exactly the same thing. I focus first on making meals healthy for everyone, then it's up to each of us how much we eat of everything. I don't do separate meals. I don't have time. If husband doesn't like what I prepare or he's really late from work, he can fix his own, but I usually leave him something and he usually eats it.

Like others say, it's all about portion control. I've learned what an oz of cheese, chicken etc looks like (measure against your finger or palm, so you can figure on-the-fly), and I write down what I eat. Daughter (8) gets a reasonable amount of everything dished out and can have as much or as little as she wants. If she wants seconds, she has to finish the veggies, but there's no alternative meal. Kids generally make up their calorie needs over a week or longer, so there is no need to worry if they eat like a mouse one day - they'll make it up some other time.

I believe very strongly in healthy food, so we never had much processed food to start with. I'm also slightly paranoid that my daughter might develop unhealthy body image issues if she sees me obsessing about "fat" and "weight" and "calories" rather than having a healthy BMI, getting the right nutrients and burning "energy beans" (that's what we call calories!!). The d-word is banned from our house.

My husband gave me a wonderful cookbook for Christmas ("Olives and Oranges" which I highly recommend) and I've been using those recipes but with less oil, cheese, more vegetables, whole wheat pasta etc. Everyone is enjoying the journey and we're all trying something new together.