what sucks more than dieting.how to make salad taste good

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I found that my main issue with salads is the dressing! I even use a fat free zesty italian and the sodium is like 480g just for 2 tablespoons, I don't need that much but that's still alot of sodium in my opinion.

Salad dressing is incredibly easy to make on your own if you want to avoid sodium.

Also, fat free salad dressing is typically jacked up with sugar and sodium.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Went out to eat once since Jan 1st... on Valentines day. Husband had tour of italy. Kids had Spinach Alfredo and cheese lasanga. I had a house salad.. no crutons, dressing on side.. and water. And still gained a pound on the scale by the next day. Husband cleaned his plate, the kids plates and ordered desert.... and lost weight....;..

Sounds like you missed out on a having a great dinner......
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Time to maybe 're-look at you food choices. You shouldn't feel like "All I can have is salad, since I'm on a diet" being unhappy with your food choices is going to line you up for failure in the long run. I'm vegan, and I don't live off of salads. If I'm know I'm going out to eat, I do a few things. First, I check the resturant nutritional facts online. First to see if they have any vegan options, and second, to see what the calories might be for the meal. If I know I'm going to be higher than I want for my calories, then I'll add in extra work outs. Going over on a meal once in a while isn't going to break my weight loss.

As for making salads more enjoyable, I mix things up. Pick a green (mixed greens, spinach, kale, romane, etc. I avoid iceberg lettuce. No flavor, and hardly any nutrients anyway). Add a grain. Maybe Brown rice, maybe quinoa? Or add some non meat protein. Smoked tofu, nuts, or beans of some type? Try adding fruit (I really like oranges and beets together, with some quinoa). And add tasty veggies (spend the money to get decent tomatoes that taste good, diced avocado to add some healthy fats, etc)

Food is your fuel, and it shouldn't make you unhappy.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Is this like for a work lunch meeting??? If it is not somewhere that you HAVE to be at like that... then I woudn't even go out to dinner if I was just going to order a salad... I make better salads for a lot healthier and a lot cheaper at home all the time so rarely ever order a salad out... Easier for me to just not eat out personally... Or get grilled chicken or fish and steamed veggies or something if you dont like salad... probably even healthier than a salad if you factor in the dressing.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If I only ate salads I would be in trouble..... You don't have to only eat salad. So, I'm guessing you went to the Olive Garden, right?

Here are a list of "better" options that are not salad:

Dinner Entrées – Better Choices
    To be a “Better Choice” I settled on these three criteria: Under 800 calories, under 12g saturated fat, and under 1,500 mg sodium.

Remember, many of these are available as Lunch Entrées, which are smaller portions.

Venetian Apricot Chicken
    380 cal, 1.5g sat fat, 4g total fat, 1,420mg sodium, 32g carbs, 8g fiber

Herb-Grilled Salmon
    510 cal, 6g sat fat, 26g total fat, 760mg sodium, 5g carbs, 2g fiber

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
    590 cal, 10g sat fat, 25g total fat, 910mg sodium, 42g carbs, 6g fiber

Cheese Ravioli with Marinara Sauce
    660 cal, 11g sat fat, 22g total fat, 1,440mg sodium, 84g carbs, 7g fiber

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
    710 cal, 8g sat fat, 22g total fat, 1,340mg sodium, 94g carbs, 9g fiber
    Not to be confused with the Spaghetti & Meatballs, which has 1,110 calories and 2,180mg sodium. The Spaghetti & Italian sausage is even worse, with 1,270 calories and 3,090mg sodium.

http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/09/healthy-choices-at-olive-garden/

If you have the mindset of "oh poor me, look at all of the things I can't eat" you will have a hard time being successful. Instead, try changing your mindset to "look at all of these options, and they taste really good."
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Went out to eat once since Jan 1st... on Valentines day. Husband had tour of italy. Kids had Spinach Alfredo and cheese lasanga. I had a house salad.. no crutons, dressing on side.. and water. And still gained a pound on the scale by the next day. Husband cleaned his plate, the kids plates and ordered desert.... and lost weight....;..

Sounds like you missed out on a having a great dinner......

this.

One night in a month is not going to kill you, and even if your weight is up by a pound the next day, it's not because of fat gained. It's not that instant. Instead it's probably sodium, or bloat, could be part of the cycle, or hell even the moon phases.

My weight can change 5 - 7 pounds from day to day. Some days I'm up, some days I'm down. Eat within your calories and make healthy choices, allowing for a treat here and there and you should see positive things happening.

But it won't be a linear loss at all.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    put a steak on your plate and throw the salad away...lol
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Instead of salad, how about some broccoli roasted or cauliflower mashed potatoes with some chicken?

If you season everything well, it tastes better than a salad. You could sub with tilapia, salmon, halibut, shrimp, sweet potatoes etc.

I rarely eat salad but usually add goat cheese on top of it, or sometime do a fake tuna salad with tuna, greek yogurt, vinegar, and celery on top of romaine
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nothing sucks more than dieting than having salad while everyone else is enjoying wonderfull lucious juicy yummy delicious foods. Salad sucks compared to mexican food, italian food and pizza. Everyone else is enjoying yummy cheese and crusty bread and rich butter and juicy tomato sauce and garlic, and cheese and pasta and bread and yummies and delicious tiramesu or cheese cake..... and the dieters get salad. Gross healthy salad. The only thing grosser than salad is putting meat on salad. I do NOT eat meat. I do not like the taste ot texture of meat.

Well thats your problem, you are dieting instead of life style changing. I lost all my weight still enjoying french fries, beer, and yes even some pizza. So stop dieting and learn to eat the things you love within your new lifestyle. Key i not to eat it all at once all the time. I have not eaten 1 salad as a meal to lose weight. Good luck!
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about sodium. Every time I get blood work done my magnesium, iron, sodium and potassium are super low. My doctor says i am the only person besides his CF patients that he has ever seem with a sodium defiency. But I always buy unsalted foods and NEVER anything. I don't like salt. Or meat. I don't even salt water when cooking.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, forget the salad. Just eat within your calorie limit. You can still have all your favorites. If your like me though, just not as much as you would have earn before. Good luck!!
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    my big issue with salad is that "healthy" dressings don't taste very good... I make my own with olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic, and a bit of salt and pepper. I love it. Also, can't go wrong with avocado (in moderation)
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html

Also, here is a good link for salad ideas from another post. 101 salad ideas :)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    my husband goes on a vegetable protest at least every other day. The only way he will eat broccoli is with american cheese on top. I fed him salad for dinner last night and you would have thought I killed a puppy. We ate pizza and ice cream last week. We both still lost weight. Dieting and healthy eating has little to do with salad. It is calories in vs calories out. If you want to lose weight eat less than you burn. Eat 1200 calories of Mexican food if you want. You will still be in a calorie deficit.
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options

This is the story of my life. I can eat nothing and gain weight but I stopped beating myself up over it. Had a very moderate amount of Indian food yesterday, skipped dinner and gained 5 lbs.

When going out I always research the menu and see what will fit into calorie allowance. Sometimes there are other items that are fewer calories than the salad.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been eating out on a limited number of calories for over two years (my maintanence calories are ~1,800). I always budget about 700 calories for eating out as I've found that to be about the average of a lighter, healthier meal. I plan the rest of my day around that.

Olive Garden's "Tour Of Italy" is 1,450 calories (according to their site). You could have cut it in half for 725 calories, put the rest in a box, and had the other half for dinner the following night. BOOM. Two nights of "regular" Olive Garden and no stupid salad. Done.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Add some good stuff to your salads....black beans (drained, rinsed), low fat cheese - a little goes a long way, corn (roasted has tons of flavor), bell peppers, cilantro, tomatoes...Mexi salad. Or at a Mexican place order tortilla soup, eat around the chicken.

Another good salad option is to add drained mandarin oranges, sliced strawberries, almond slivers and some crushed up ramen (do not use the flavor packet - too much sodium). Use rice wine vinegar to make your own Asian style dressing.

I could go a week on salads with all the different mix-ins. For some reason salad always tastes better to me when someone else makes it, lol!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Nothing sucks more than dieting than having salad while everyone else is enjoying wonderfull lucious juicy yummy delicious foods. Salad sucks compared to mexican food, italian food and pizza. Everyone else is enjoying yummy cheese and crusty bread and rich butter and juicy tomato sauce and garlic, and cheese and pasta and bread and yummies and delicious tiramesu or cheese cake..... and the dieters get salad. Gross healthy salad. The only thing grosser than salad is putting meat on salad. I do NOT eat meat. I do not like the taste ot texture of meat.

Soooo, a vegetarian who doesn't actually like salad? :huh:

Yeah, that would suck.

I make lettuce taste good by putting aoli, cheese, hummus, avocado and/or meat on it. Nom nom nom.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like you're looking to fail so you can tell everyone you tried then you go drown your sorrows in a chimichanga,
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat a few nights ago. I had a roasted beet salad with goat cheese and pecans, shrimp and grits, and short ribs with a red wine demi glace and black eyed peas. I had looked ahead at the menu online earlier that day, figured out what I wanted, figured out the calories (to the best of my ability), then convinced my friend to split everything with me. 700 calories later, I had a phenomenal dinner.