Shoveling Gravel - Calorie Burn?

Hey everyone!

So, I recently got about 2 tons of gravel delivered to my house to put down a gravel driveway (about half an acre long, a large parking area, and half an acre on the other side) in my yard. I've been shoveling, raking, and carrying gravel in wheelbarrows from one large pile to different spots in my driveway about an hour each day. I am definitely getting a workout - I sweat, I pant, my muscles ache, and I get these great rushes of endorphins.

BUT, I have no clue how to log this activity on MFP! Is there a general hard-working yard work cardio/strength category you can suggest? I can't find one that really fits. I really enjoy this kind of yard work (I feel much more satisfied with this because I see immediate results - even if they're not on me!) and I would like to keep doing it, but also be able to log it on MFP!

Thanks!

Replies

• hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Shoveling snow? Not exactly the same, but pretty close in terms of expenditure. Either that or circuit training.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    either shoveling snow, or heavy housecleaning.
  • oldmike1030
    oldmike1030 Posts: 14 Member
    For what it's worth I moved two tons of gravel this past weekend. that included shoveling, wheelbarrow/moving, and raking it out. Pretty good amount of work. I used the "raking lawn" as an estimate of the burn.
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Shoveling snow? Not exactly the same, but pretty close in terms of expenditure. Either that or circuit training.

This is my favorite answer so far! I'm not sure if it's because it seems like it matches the amount of force that I put out, (I appreciate all the answers, but I definitely am huffin and puffin more than if I rake leaves! :P ) but thank you very much! I'll try these out in MFP! :)
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    For what it's worth I moved two tons of gravel this past weekend. that included shoveling, wheelbarrow/moving, and raking it out. Pretty good amount of work. I used the "raking lawn" as an estimate of the burn.

Wow! I wasn't able to move it all by myself in one weekend, so props to you!