what sucks more than dieting.how to make salad taste good

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Think long term or you're not going to make it. I'm on a cut and have lost nearly a lb this week. At one point I was eating chunks of Parmesan, bread, pasta shellfish, profiteroles and half a bottle of red. I just eat slowly, less volume, eat light in day exercise, and count diligently the rest of the week. This is what normal people tend to do, the date I was with ate less than me I'm sure!

It was the best Italian I'd been to outside Italy. I couldn't live without living now and then.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Salads, most definitely, do not suck if you know where to look:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/salads
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've found that at restaurants the salads are sometimes even MORE calories than a reasonable entree too. Not a house salad, but a special type one. Anyway, when eating out, I can usually either find an appetizer that's reasonable, a lighter entree, or an indulgent entree and bring half home for later in a to go box. I love salad but rarely eat only a salad - for lunch today I had a salad, a slice of pizza, and a small serving of chips (basically I was going through leftovers).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Went out to eat once since Jan 1st... on Valentines day. Husband had tour of italy. Kids had Spinach Alfredo and cheese lasanga. I had a house salad.. no crutons, dressing on side.. and water. And still gained a pound on the scale by the next day. Husband cleaned his plate, the kids plates and ordered desert.... and lost weight....;..

You need to reevaluate your eating. I go out to eat often and am a healthy weight. You should have more calories available per day to eat more than a house salad without dressing.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Don't eat salads. The end.
    this.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about sodium. Every time I get blood work done my magnesium, iron, sodium and potassium are super low. My doctor says i am the only person besides his CF patients that he has ever seem with a sodium defiency. But I always buy unsalted foods and NEVER anything. I don't like salt. Or meat. I don't even salt water when cooking.

if you eat anything and i mean anything processed even a thin slice of turkey you're eating sodium. just because you're not actually using table salt doesn't mean you are not eating sodium. also why would you go out on valentine's with your husband and children and get a plain salad. did you salad have shredded cheese in it? or was it plain lettuce and a few tomatoes?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Add blue cheese to the salad. Then add some more.
  • khorton2715
    khorton2715 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the best salad at a restaurant yesterday... a grilled head of romaine lettuce topped with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, fresh goat cheese, cajun spiced grilled shrimp and a handful of yummy homemade croutons. It didn't even need any dressing because the flavors blended so well together. I would order it again in a heartbeat!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Nothing sucks more than dieting than having salad while everyone else is enjoying wonderfull lucious juicy yummy delicious foods. Salad sucks compared to mexican food, italian food and pizza. Everyone else is enjoying yummy cheese and crusty bread and rich butter and juicy tomato sauce and garlic, and cheese and pasta and bread and yummies and delicious tiramesu or cheese cake..... and the dieters get salad. Gross healthy salad. The only thing grosser than salad is putting meat on salad. I do NOT eat meat. I do not like the taste ot texture of meat.

Why not just stay fat then? :huh:
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I had the best salad at a restaurant yesterday... a grilled head of romaine lettuce topped with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, fresh goat cheese, cajun spiced grilled shrimp and a handful of yummy homemade croutons. It didn't even need any dressing because the flavors blended so well together. I would order it again in a heartbeat!

The way you described that ^^^^ can almost taste it. Sounds amazing.

Also goat cheese + roasted beet salads + walnuts/pecans are pretty amazing.
  • khorton2715
    Options

The way you described that ^^^^ can almost taste it. Sounds amazing.

Also goat cheese + roasted beet salads + walnuts/pecans are pretty amazing.
  • khorton2715
    Options
    It was the grilled romaine that made it stand out...who would have thought that you could grill lettuce!!!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Don't eat salads. The end.

Thread win.

Mmmm...suddenly hankering for a strawberry walnut feta cheese salad with a maple balsamic vinegrette.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nothing sucks more than dieting than having salad while everyone else is enjoying wonderfull lucious juicy yummy delicious foods. Salad sucks compared to mexican food, italian food and pizza. Everyone else is enjoying yummy cheese and crusty bread and rich butter and juicy tomato sauce and garlic, and cheese and pasta and bread and yummies and delicious tiramesu or cheese cake..... and the dieters get salad. Gross healthy salad. The only thing grosser than salad is putting meat on salad. I do NOT eat meat. I do not like the taste ot texture of meat.

You do know that you can eat more than just salad right? I lost 40 Lbs pretty easily and, while I did eat salads on occasion, they didn't make up the bulk of my diet.

Also, salads can be really awesome. I just made one on Saturday that was a nice spring mix with some spinach, grape tomatoes, red onion, radish, sweet pickled beets, avocado, pecans, blue cheese, and a nice homemade vinaigrette. It was delicious....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    lots of cheese makes it swell.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You can make a salad yummy. I eat a salad with full fat dressing, sunflower seeds and chicken. YUM!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I had a yummy salad for lunch today and plan to have another tomorrow. Then I'm going out for Italian tomorrow night and Mexican for lunch on Wednesday. Oh, and Girl Scout cookies tonight! I will be under my calorie goal every day too. No need to deprive yourself or eat stuff you hate, just plan for it and don't eat the plate of food as big as your head. Box up half and then you've got leftovers for the next day. Win-win.

Oh, and my salad today had berries, goat cheese, almonds and ham with a balsamic vinaigrette. You could leave off the ham. Tomorrow's will have leftover roast chicken from my dinner tonight.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP doesn't want advice, she just wants "sympathy" or pity or something. She's obviously got a skewed idea of what is needed in order to lose weight, and she's enjoying the "poor pitiful me" drama. If she wanted to lose weight, she would, by doing the one thing that is proven to work: Stay under a certain calorie limit. So yeah, this is all just histrionics.
  • DavyGaga
    Options
    One thing I started doing was, say I go to a place like Fridays with my friend and I decide to make it my "Cheat day" or what have you. I ask them to like, load my burger with tons of veggies. So like extra lettuce, extra tomato, extra onions so it's almost like I'm eating a Salad with some meat haha. I read you dislike meat, so maybe take what you normally eat and just add a bunch of lettuce with it? But I totally understand though. I once ate nothing but salad for a whole week at work, while my usual lunch buddy pigs out on so much food (and he's thinner than me, I'm so freaking jealous). Like after a while salad just tastes plain and boring, and even when you add amenities, it still tastes like leaves (hahaha) But It kinda makes the cheat days worth while. The one thing I do hate most about salad however, is the price. Salads are way more expensive than like burgers or fried foods. My job has a "healthy price" thing with their food where they take a dollar off of your total if your food fits the "healthy" criteria. But even still, a salad comes out to 5$ while a cheeseburger at my job is like, 3.50$! Insanity.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    put good pico de gallo or salsa on it. Skip the dressing AND have a slice of pizza too.