French Women Don't Get Fat

Options
Just kidding, they probably do, but I ran across this article today, and it really made sense...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/health/weight-loss-chris-ross/index.html?hpt=hp_bn13

The key? Not guilt or deprivation but learning to get the most from the things you most enjoy.

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This one went really well. I hope yours goes better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/38954-french-women-don-t-get-fat
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    do they get le écart?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Are we talking a few extra pounds fat or scooter fat?
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Yes! Guilt and deprivation = unhappiness. In my experience, enjoying your food and living guilt free is the key to balance and happiness and even fat loss. For me, when I let go of trying to control everything and focusing on the negative, I make the most progress.
  • cerulence
    cerulence Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I laughed. Yes I did.
    Probably because I'm a woman, and French, and I'm using MFP to lose weight. so...

But, I'd say that most of the population isn't overweight, here. it's a small % so that book might be right on some things.

Plus here portions are really small compared to the US.
    To use something everyone can know : McDonald. Our super size menu is the size of the US smallest size menu. You can picture what a small size fries looks like here. (Plus we only have two brands of fast food. )

Mostly we get fat by eating too much healthy food. Ironic. I mean fast food isn't in our culture, proof that you can get fat on anything, so you can get thinner on anything, too.

(But I agree on the quoted lines. After all, I live in a country where food is a way of life so people have an average of 1h30 mn lunch break. Because, monsieur, food isn't a joke.)