That was a BAD idea

Options
I decided to go to Sonic for lunch. As the title says, BAD idea. I've used all of my calories (everything except protein) for the day already! After I logged my food, I now have -130 cal, -12 carbs, -15 fat, and -1,285 sodium. One meal can seriously ruin your whole day. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to go and I didn't think it would hurt that much. Wrong, wasn't I? Anyone else ever had this problem? Thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I find myself at fast food, I avoid the fries and the sodas. I'll order a burger, side salad, and ice tea or water. That saves about 600-900 calories. It also helps to log the meal before ordering.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Normal fast food is really bad. Really, realy bad. It has no role to play in a healthy diet much less one designed for weight loss. Just eat healthy the rest of the day (don't starve yourself!) and pick it back up tomorrow.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    When I find myself at fast food, I avoid the fries and the sodas. I'll order a burger, side salad, and ice tea or water. That saves about 600-900 calories. It also helps to log the meal before ordering.

Exactly. Whenever I know I'm going to be somewhere I'm not used to eating, I do my research and log it first. Then I know if I still have some flexability or if I have to stick to strictly what I planned.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Work out to get your calories back!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    just go work it off, a half hour on the eliptcal oughta do it :)

but yeah it better to avoid such situations....
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea- I still allow myself fast food if I want it, but my only restriction is that it can't be spur of the moment- I have to plan it. Cuz the few times I just went off the cuff it ended up just like this. :-/
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this is that we all fall sometimes how we react to that fall is what matters the most... don't kill yourself just take it as a lesson learned and move on because if you dwell on it you will kick your self...... if it really bugs you i usually workout a little more for the next week and eat a little less calories the next week to make up for it.. But the big thing is not to kick yourself to hard!!!!
  • msemejuru
    Options
    It happens. If you are eating out just research first, add in extra cardio and skim calories off your other meals. But that's it, don't starve. Just begin again with your next meal.
  • ebone042807
    Options
    I am new here and I find myself doing the same. I try to prepare for the meal coming and log it into the database first, then I add on the workout that I know will be coming and see where I am at. Then I take out the workout and see what it would look like if I decided to take a day off of workout. Let's just say I will be working out today. I am also trying to work the whole clean eating into my new lifestyle. I'm taking it slow since I do not want to throw away good food! all in all it seems to be working out nicely. Hope the rest of the day goes well for you.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    We've ALL done it. If you're genuinely hungry later, eat something (even if you're out of calories). Listen to your body :)

Can you do a workout? Even if it doesn't 'earn' me enough exercise calories to salvage the day, it really makes me feel better (and it's good for me).

No beating yourself up (not that you were, but if you were, stop!). This was one meal and one meal does not a failure make.

YOU CAN DO IT! WE'RE IN THIS FOREVER! ONE MEAL IS NOTHING IN THE SCOPE OF FOREVER!!!

Charmagne
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I decided to go to Sonic for lunch. As the title says, BAD idea. I've used all of my calories (everything except protein) for the day already! After I logged my food, I now have -130 cal, -12 carbs, -15 fat, and -1,285 sodium. One meal can seriously ruin your whole day. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to go and I didn't think it would hurt that much. Wrong, wasn't I? Anyone else ever had this problem? Thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:

this, right here, is exactly why 99% of us are on here trying to lose. we never took the time to count calories. we just grab a sandwich and chips because its quick. never thinking that it alloted for twice the daily calories we were supposed to be eating in the first place. its a downward spiral.

a spur of the moment "oh i'll grab a burger and fries" can turn into 2000 cals, easy! and now that we're aware of this by logging our food, its like a slap in the face. but it is a good slap. one that we all needed. :flowerforyou:
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    I still eat fast food. I have planned it enough in advance (to my favorite places) that I know what to order and what not to order. :) I'm not going to deny myself what I want...I have done that way too many times and I always failed at weight loss. So, I eat what I want (good or bad) but in moderation and I've lost 16 pounds so far :) (except last weekend when I went to visit family...I ended up gaining a pound with that and Thanksgiving...)
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this is that we all fall sometimes how we react to that fall is what matters the most... don't kill yourself just take it as a lesson learned and move on because if you dwell on it you will kick your self...... if it really bugs you i usually workout a little more for the next week and eat a little less calories the next week to make up for it.. But the big thing is not to kick yourself to hard!!!!

I agree. One bad day is not the end of the world. Just resume healthy eating and move on.

Now if it starts to become a habit, that's different. But for this one indulgence, don't beat yourself up over it. :)
  • jgm8land
    Options
    I have noticed that if I splurge once in a while it actually helps me lose weight. I think a blast of calories every so often shocks your body and gets things moving again.
  • crissi66
    Options
    Never eat Panera!! they are a calorie and a fat killer. i used all the fat for my day on one of their egg white souffle's one morning. i was horrified.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    That is the Problem with fast food. People don't really think how bad it is and how many Empty calories there is in all that crap. Untill the deed is done. Dont stress to much workout harder eat some meat and veggies for dinner. Empty caloies may cause you get hungry later even though you have used your calories for the day. Eat something small Lots lots of water
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat it. Working out is a great way to get calories back.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Also if you go over a lot one day, you have to eat really healthy for nthe next 2 and damage control and then you wont gain back weight
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options

I actually log in what I feel like eating and if too many wasted calories I decide against it.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    I have noticed that if I splurge once in a while it actually helps me lose weight. I think a blast of calories every so often shocks your body and gets things moving again.

Actualy, you're spot on. The studies have shown that a cheat day or even just a meal every now and then gives the metablism a "shot in the arm" and gets it going again. It shouldn't be done more then once a week at the most, however.