The Master Cleanse

Options
I'm starting the master cleanse in a couple weeks, and would really love to talk with people who have done it before, or do it with someone else, and keep in contact with them during the time. I think it would keep me motivated and track my progress. Anyone interested?

Replies

• yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The master cleanse is not healthy. I recommend you reconsider or at the very least consult a medical professional before starting anything so drastic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :noway: Ditch the cleanse - build your friend's list.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Cleanses in general are build on pseudoscience but this one in particular is dangerous. Focus on calories and macros, and get some good exercise.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    From the mastercleanse.org site

1. Store your lemons on the counter to ripen, NOT in the fridge. Enzymes are dormant in the fridge. You want those enzymes. If you buy 50 lemons in advance, as most people do, store 40 in the fridge at a time and take the 10 most ripe lemons out for your first day or two.

Enough said, best of luck with this cleanse, and your goals, but maybe double check the rationale behind why you'd want to follow this cleanse.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel like the master cleanse and 5:2 and medifast and all those other crazy quick fixes are not what MFP should be about. It's about calories in and out and exercising.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I feel like the master cleanse and 5:2 and medifast and all those other crazy quick fixes are not what MFP should be about. It's about calories in and out and exercising.
    And maybe educating ourselves and others on why something may or may not make sense.
  • wrengoldenrod
    wrengoldenrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really surprised by the responses to this topic. I have known a lot of people who have done the master cleanse, and felt like their health had improved a lot afterward. I'm reading the whole book. One of the main reasons I am planning to do the cleanse is because I have a lot of digestion issues, and I am hoping this can help me heal my stomach. I want to hear why other people think it's not healthy. I'm not hearing any reasons behind that, and I've done some research on the other end.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really surprised by the responses to this topic. I have known a lot of people who have done the master cleanse, and felt like their health had improved a lot afterward. I'm reading the whole book. One of the main reasons I am planning to do the cleanse is because I have a lot of digestion issues, and I am hoping this can help me heal my stomach. I want to hear why other people think it's not healthy. I'm not hearing any reasons behind that, and I've done some research on the other end.

Rather than listing a number of health concerns about this diet, I would suggest that you just Google "Why Master Cleanse is bad" and you will find a lot of information from various sources as to why a person shouldn't do this diet.
  • wrengoldenrod
    wrengoldenrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey dayone, That sounds like a pretty biased search. I am concerned about my health, so I'll keep researching. I like to keep an open mind and do the full research before I take on something that could potentially be harmful.. It seems like people have had difficult experiences doing the cleanse, or did it incorrectly, and that could be part of why the there's so much negative feedback about it. Also, I'm sure people with eating disorders have done it before, and I don't think it's healthy to do it in with that mindset.

I found a link to this topic that has been brought up on this website before, and found it pretty informative to hear personal stories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903085-the-master-cleanse-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hey dayone, That sounds like a pretty biased search. I am concerned about my health, so I'll keep researching. I like to keep an open mind and do the full research before I take on something that could potentially be harmful.. It seems like people have had difficult experiences doing the cleanse, or did it incorrectly, and that could be part of why the there's so much negative feedback about it. Also, I'm sure people with eating disorders have done it before, and I don't think it's healthy to do it in with that mindset.

I found a link to this topic that has been brought up on this website before, and found it pretty informative to hear personal stories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903085-the-master-cleanse-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly

I understand that that you want personal stories, but do you not think that the research you did before is not biased? e.g. the book.

Here's a personal story from a MFP member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story?hl=master+cleanse
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    "Master Cleanse" sounds like a phrase used in genocide. You don't need to cleanse your body. You need to eat healthy and exercise if you can. That is all.
  • gottabekd
    gottabekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely read that link to a personal story above. My own personal story: I started the Master Cleanse, thinking it would "jumpstart" my body. After 3-4 days, I started getting very, very sick. Massive migraines and my stomach couldn't even keep the "juice" down. It turns out I was damaging my body with that awful lemon pepper juice, and I'm glad I listened to my body and stopped.

If you're having troubles with your digestion/bowels it's much better to do a supervised elimination diet, where you cut certain foods out of your diet and then slowly reintroduce them and see if perhaps something you're eating is causing the problems. I recently did this and saw my body do a 180 once I worked out what was bothering me and continued eating properly afterwards.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the master cleanse in a couple weeks, and would really love to talk with people who have done it before, or do it with someone else, and keep in contact with them during the time. I think it would keep me motivated and track my progress. Anyone interested?

The Master Cleanse...

92808-Bipolar-Kanye-laugh-to-angry-g-2b8n.gif
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Please continue to do research. It can cause muscle damage and digestive issues, which if you already suffer from stomach problems could exacerbate them.

Also losing too fast and making drastic diet changes can negatively impact your gallbladder. I've had to learn that first hand from a 40 day juice fast.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I started at 338lbs. The only thing that I've found that really makes a difference is changing my habits. Exercising more, watching quantities of what I eat, and sticking with MFP.

All my best to you.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    No! Just No!

Rigger
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I understand that that you want personal stories, but do you not think that the research you did before is not biased? e.g. the book.

Here's a personal story from a MFP member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story?hl=master+cleanse

This deserve quoting