8 entries for the same ice cream, and none of them correct

Options
Rage!!!!

How can there be 8 entries for the same ice cream and none of them be correct? What do you gain from lowering the calorie content with 10 calories per 100 g ice or make the portion size 81 g?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I like being upset over such banal things. Helps me realize how good life is.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Rage!!!!

How can there be 8 entries for the same ice cream and none of them be correct? What do you gain from lowering the calorie content with 10 calories per 100 g ice or make the portion size 81 g?

It is annoying. I just realized Land O Lakes whipping cream is listed as 50 calories in the data base, but it's really 60 calories.

If you have 10 foods a day off by just 10 calories, that's 100 calories per day or 700 calories per week.

Annoying! Makes me question how accurate anything in the data base really is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Better idea, don't eat it if 10 calories variance in an estimated mean is really the knife's edge for you.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are many wrong entries. :sad:
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I notice this happens a lot and I agree it's frustrating!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    This is why I always check, and if the entry doesn't match (by weight, not by serving size) I just enter it myself. It only takes a couple of minutes to enter it yourself, and then it's always in there correctly for you to use again. Since anyone can enter things in the database, you just have to be careful what you use when logging.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I like being upset over such banal things. Helps me realize how good life is.

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you all know this but not only are there many user entered food listings in the database (= human error, omissions), some may be outdated as products change quite a lot, and being an international site, a similar food from another coutnry may have slightly different nutritional value.

Either edit the entry to correct it (via website, not sure if apps allow this) or enter your own that you know is correct. Or just quick add cals and move on.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    Better idea, don't eat it if 10 calories variance in an estimated mean is really the knife's edge for you.

Sure, it wasn't and isn't the end of the world for me, but why would you enter something and then enter it wrong?
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    And normally this is what I would do. But this is a new type of ice cream, have been out for less then a month and the differences in calorie content for the same product was just puzzling.
  • 4realrose8
    Options
    Can anyone walk me through the steps to manually add a food? I know how to do the recipe, but how do you manually add a food with adjusted calories to your food diary when searches come up inaccurate? Also, can you adjust macros or just calories?

Thanks
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP I'm right there with you, it drives me nuts. If people want to change the value of something, at least they could uncheck the 'share the food with everyone' box.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Can anyone walk me through the steps to manually add a food? I know how to do the recipe, but how do you manually add a food with adjusted calories to your food diary when searches come up inaccurate? Also, can you adjust macros or just calories?

Thanks

You search for a food when trying to add it to your diary. Below the list of "matches" is a statement "Can't find what you're looking for? Add a food to the database." And you just click on the "Add a food to the database.

I've added a photo and circled in red what I am referring to:

AddFoodtoDB_zps7c16806c.jpg
  • 4realrose8
    Options

Thanks

You search for a food when trying to add it to your diary. Below the list of "matches" is a statement "Can't find what you're looking for? Add a food to the database." And you just click on the "Add a food to the database.

I've added a photo and circled in red what I am referring to:

AddFoodtoDB_zps7c16806c.jpg

This is very helpful. Thank you! :-)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Thanks

The better thing to do, instead of adding yet another entry for the same food that's already in there 18 times, is to edit one of the incorrect entries and make it correct, then use that one. Click on nutrition info and when it asks if it's correct, click "no" and edit the entry. You can change anything, macros, micros, calories and serving size.

ETA this wouldn't apply to something that isn't in the database at all, which is pretty rare.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Thanks

The better thing to do, instead of adding yet another entry for the same food that's already in there 18 times, is to edit one of the incorrect entries and make it correct, then use that one. Click on nutrition info and when it asks if it's correct, click "no" and edit the entry. You can change anything, macros, micros, calories and serving size.

ETA this wouldn't apply to something that isn't in the database at all, which is pretty rare.

Whoa cupcake, thanks for posting that. I learned something new. :drinker:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Thanks

brains....and tastes good...deadly combination :bigsmile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Thanks

Whoa cupcake, thanks for posting that. I learned something new. :drinker:

:smile: I do it a lot because there will be 6 entries of the ice cream I want, and they're all entered in 1/2 c servings. I make sure everything else is correct, and then I change one of the entries to servings in grams. Sometimes I just want a spoonful!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Thanks

brains....and tastes good...deadly combination :bigsmile:

:smooched: Now I'm off to get my spoonful of gelato. :bigsmile:
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First world problems but yes very annoying. I always double-check everything and I often correct things or put in my own entries. I get all happy when I find one that's correct.