MFP says I'm Over Sugar Goal! HELP!

Options
OK,

so I'm well under my calories but MFP says if I eat the Lean Cuisine meal I'm about to eat, I'll be over my sugar goal. All of my sugar so far has come from fresh fruits and veggies, one slice of wheat bread and some cottage cheese. What can I do? It says my total I can have is 55 and I've consumed 37. I also still have 854 calories left to eat and I'm not in the mood to cook a big elaborate dinner. HELP!!! :)

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Do not stress. I had to quit tracking sugar pretty quickly because one piece of fruit will put you over. Focus on calories and protein. The rest will sort itself out.

ETA: By which I mean getting enough protein. MFP's default protein goal is low. You should be eating a lot of protein.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's the problem with those frozen meals. Very high in carbs including processed sugars, and salt, etc. I'll still eat them sometimes but I've also started just cooking my own meat and then putting some of the cooked meat in the freezer. That way you can make up a bunch and it's convenient. Then just thaw and reheat, add a salad or veggies, rice or pasta or whatever. Easy meal without the sugar and salt.
  • loseweight5829
    Options
    I used to go over on sugar so much from milk and fruits. I'm sure its fine
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    KikoAlonsoGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    OK, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to sabotage my weight loss. I'm also finding it tough to consume 1200 calories a day with exercise. I'm not a big eater it's just that what I ate before was always unhealthy.
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP Sugar is way too low. Problem is they cant tell where the sugar is coming from. I dont worry about my sugars from milk, yogurt and fruit. I only worry about added sugars and sugar from dessert ect. : )
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, MFP's sugar goal is based on the maximum suggested for added sugars but it doesn't separate out naturally occurring sugars. Sugar won't stop your weight loss goals, natural, added, refined, or otherwise. Unless someone has a medical reason to track sugar, consider swapping that column out for a more useful nutrient to track like fiber.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    Ok, good. Thanks Jenny! I kinda thought that's what it was but I wanted to be sure. Now I just have to figure out how to get more calories in. Yesterday I was a little over 300 short and today I'm over 500. I guess some milk and peanut butter toast later should do the trick. Trial and error, trial and error. LOL
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    For what it's worth, MFP's sugar goal is based on the maximum suggested for added sugars but it doesn't separate out naturally occurring sugars. Sugar won't stop your weight loss goals, natural, added, refined, or otherwise. Unless someone has a medical reason to track sugar, consider swapping that column out for a more useful nutrient to track like fiber.

Thanks! That's actually great advice!
  • MaJacobs75
    Options
    I usually just focus more on calories and i really have no problems going over much of anything at all. My calorie goal is 1650 and there are times where I do go over sugar and sodium more then everything else. But its not hurting me and I have lost 14 lbs so far. Just keep eating healthy and always exercise and you should be all right.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Watch the MACRO nutrients more- Protein, Carbs, and Fats. Remember that MFP offers *guidelines* only, not hard and fast rules. Eat up!! It'll be alright ;)
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    You guys/gals are awesome! Thank you so much!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    As long as you have no health issues with sugar, diabetes/hypoglycemic, you have nothing to worry about. I just ignore it, also. One apple and Greek yogurt and I'm over. Too bad.
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    Nope, no issues here. Just overweight.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Go into your food diary, from there click settings there you will see a list of 'nutrients tracked' find the one that says sugar and select either 'none' or something more important for your personal goal/health (high cholesterol runs in my family and I've had blood tests come back with my cholesterol on the high side so I chose that).

Problem solved.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I agree to track something else. I stopped tracking my sugar a long time ago. No worries :P
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5goMGtAUTJ4PGYu98wdJItPoTTbJYByCJbzZndvbL5jIri_BW
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    Ah! I didn't know you could track what you wanted to! Going to check that out now!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    swapping that column out for a more useful nutrient to track like fiber.

Please, O Wise One, how do I do this?
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Just found it on the Settings menu.
    Thanks for sharing this bit of tid
  • KikoAlonsoGal
    Options
    That was a really helpful tip!