ArgggggI realize that mindlessly snacking is a bad thing but

Options
I realize that mindlessly snacking is a bad thing but who would have thought??

I have been wanting a little something between breakfast and lunch so I thought I would pick up a bag of grapes. I proceeded to snack all morning until I ate it all..... all 2.60 pounds. Now granted I don't feel hungrey so I won't be eating lunch but seriously 780 calories????

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yup. Well 100 cals per cup. But those suckers do add up!

Now you know for any future grape snacking! Maybe try celery or other vegetables next time? They're much more lower cal!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I know, bought grapes thinking this would be a great snack. Well they are but there like chips once you pop you cant stop, at least for me, lol...
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Hey, look at it this way...if you are on Weight Watchers, then fruit is FREE!! (I totally disagree with this by the way, because fruit does have calories). :huh:
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I've TOTALLY done that!! You just don't realize..cause it's healthy :-) But when they say everything in moderation..they mean EVERYTHING..even fruits and veggies. It's just nuts when you see how it adds up. We've all done it..so don't beat yourself up :flowerforyou:
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Put your higher calorie fruit or snacks in smaller containers. I'll break apart my grapes into three bags or put my strawberries in 2 containers so I only grab one at a time. I never plan to eat the entire container but when I do, it's not as bad. My husband has finally stopped groaning about all my containers in the fridge!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did that with candy corn and peanuts right before Halloween. I measured prior to eating, but didn't go to record it until after I ate it. I didn't do that again the whole "Candy Corn Season." Yes, it is a "season" for me ;)
  • charolloret
    Options
    Yes, I think it is the mindlessly snacking that makes me gain weight because otherwise I don't eat so much (or maybe that is my perception). My problem is not that I gain weight, but I stubbornly stay in 174 lb and can't go down. Weight especially goes around my waiste. My food choices are very poor, I eat a lot of pizza, pasta, little snacks, etc... but at mealtimes I am too busy serving everyone at the table and I practically don't eat (I have 3 girls, aged 2, 4, 6) I used to drink a lot of diet coke and I am trying to change that.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies, but have been trying to watch my fruits lately. Fruits = sugar = carbs = calories:grumble:

Next time, buy some baby carrots, grape tomatos, bell peppers, cucumbers...great with hummus and you can eat an insane amount for even 200 calories (nevermind 780).
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yep, that happened to me this past week too!!! I opened a container of antioxidant mix of dried fruit and nuts, then BAM!!! 260 calories later I was wondering what just happened. I figured nuts were healthy, but it is so easy to just keep grabbing handfuls and every one of those nuts adds up. And who eats 1/4 cup of nuts at a time anyway? That's like 8 almonds. So frustrating!!!
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies, but have been trying to watch my fruits lately. Fruits = sugar = carbs = calories:grumble:

Next time, buy some baby carrots, grape tomatos, bell peppers, cucumbers...great with hummus and you can eat an insane amount for even 200 calories (nevermind 780).

Bell peppers with hummus! Great suggestion! I've been eating cucumbers and carrots but I'll try the bell peppers now :-)
  • lnadack
    lnadack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Measure it out first so you won't have to think about how much you are actually eating. It's so easy to just munch away but when you only have a small portion in front of you then when you are finished with it then you won't feel so bad because you know exactly how much you ate.
  • charolloret
    Options
    Yeap, grapes have a lot of sugar. But the bright side is that they have an amazing amount of fiber and those 2.6 pounds will really clean you inside.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this made me laugh a little! I feel ya! Been there! But not 2.6 lbs worth! Oh my :laugh:

Grapes are high in sugar. The good news is it's not like you ate 5 kit kats. Long run this will have no affect on your end goal. Take it as a learning experience and move on!