Substitutes for Egg Whites...

Options
ConleighS
ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
I am currently on a food plan that has me eating 4 egg whites, 1oz blueberries w/ 1tbsp agave nectar or 1/2 c blackberries and 1/3 c. sugarfree oatmeal. My problem is, is that after 2 weeks, as much as I love eggs, I am kinda getting tired of egg whites. Any thoughts on what I could substitute?

I am going to check with my trainer but I wanted to see what you thought...

Replies

• lunapetu0311
    Options
    How about plain Greek Yogurt and toss the blueberries in the yogurt? The yogurt is high in protein like the eggs. Perhaps more calories but not much. If the yogurt is too tart, you can add Stevia or honey to sweeten it.

Or a fruit smoothie - 1/2 banana, 1/4 c. frozen blueberries, 1/4 c. frozen raspberries, 1/2 c. spinach leaves (can't taste it when blended), 1 scoop vanilla whey protein. You can of course, use any combination of fruits.

Sometimes I will eat two slices of deli turkey (no nitrate/nitrite brand) with some fruit.

Let us know what your trainer suggests :)
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How do you eat your egg whites? Lately I have been having 1/4 c of egg whites with 1/2 c mushrooms, 1/4 c. Zucchini, 1/4 c red pepper, and 1/4 c tomato. I sauté the veggies in cooking spray add a little s&p and then add the egg. It's mostly veggies and has great flavour. Very filling and very low cal.

Today I had that with a choc protein shake for lunch and am stuffed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I would sub the egg whites with whole eggs.
  • ConleighS
    Options
    Great suggestions, My trainer has me on very specific items for each Meal (5 per day). Currently I either fry or scramble on the stove or microwave scramble them w/ a dash of lemon pepper. I am going to ask about things I can add to them or what I can substitute. Turkey is in one of my meals (3 oz)...maybe I will switch things around.

I will let you know what she suggests,
  • ConleighS
    Options
    So my trainer suggested Muscle Milk (low fat/fat free) blended with the oatmeat and fruit. . . or Greek Yogurt....
    The few greek yogurts that I have tried I haven't liked though.

How about plain Greek Yogurt and toss the blueberries in the yogurt? The yogurt is high in protein like the eggs. Perhaps more calories but not much. If the yogurt is too tart, you can add Stevia or honey to sweeten it.

Or a fruit smoothie - 1/2 banana, 1/4 c. frozen blueberries, 1/4 c. frozen raspberries, 1/2 c. spinach leaves (can't taste it when blended), 1 scoop vanilla whey protein. You can of course, use any combination of fruits.

Sometimes I will eat two slices of deli turkey (no nitrate/nitrite brand) with some fruit.

Let us know what your trainer suggests :)
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a food plan that has me eating 4 egg whites, 1oz blueberries w/ 1tbsp agave nectar or 1/2 c blackberries and 1/3 c. sugarfree oatmeal. My problem is, is that after 2 weeks, as much as I love eggs, I am kinda getting tired of egg whites. Any thoughts on what I could substitute?

whole eggs instead. they are the most perfect of foods and are 100% good for ya :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

whole eggs instead. they are the most perfect of foods and are 100% good for ya :)
    She already ignored that... :(
  • cwsreddy
    Options

She already ignored that... :(

Sad. I wish people didnt hate on eggs so much. I mean... the whites don't even metabolize correctly without the yolk. :(
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

BUT THE DIETARY CHOLESTEROL WILL KILLZ YOU!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Stuff with spinach and a laughing cow cheese wedge for a tasty omlette and about 40 adiditional calories. Your trainer must understand that food needs taste and variety.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Stuff with spinach and a laughing cow cheese wedge for a tasty omlette and about 40 adiditional calories. Your trainer must understand that food needs taste and variety.

trainers don't understand any more about nutrition than the average person. They are not dieticians.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Any lean protein will work: Chicken breast, turkey, even 93% ground beef.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

trainers don't understand any more about nutrition than the average person. They are not dieticians.

^
  • ConleighS
    Options
    haven't ignored the whole egg thing... and it's not that I don't like eggs, I just realized I didn't like them EVERY DAY... I am trying to stay on the plan ( for the most part..LOL) thank you all for the suggestions.