Secret world of MFP!!

Options
I'm in need of support and motivation!! I try talking to my husband and friends about this website, working out, and eating healthier, but they don't really share the same passion for it. I got excited when I logged 10 days in a row, when I got my new heart rate monitor.. ect.. I try to share with them my struggles of over eating and why I'm unhappy with myself and they don't seem to get any of it. Anyway I'm just not getting much support in my life but by a couple of people and I feel like it's not enough. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful but I need support from others who are working on a common goal.

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Added you! I'd be happy to support you. :-)
  • shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That's a bummer!! You can add me as a friend. I will support you!! Good Luck!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I totally Agree! I love the support I get on here. I am involved in a challenge right now, I have made the best MFP friends during challenges, you can add me, or join a challenge!
  • Just1Trip
    Options
    I have been in this same boat. It is very exciting to start reaching goals, and getting into a groove; but it is definitely a bummer when no one in your 'real' world shares the same passion. I have been on MFP in the past and the people are AWESOME! Feel free to add me, as I am just starting over. :/
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as well anyone!! More support the better. I can relate as well, no support from family and friends that I would hope for. Keep up the great work!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get used to it...in fact, embrace it...as one who lives a nutritionally driven and fitness centric lifestyle I can tell you that the vast majority of the population does not, nor do they even remotely understand it, nor do they want to understand it. They're content to be fat and unhealthy and think that all of these health problems are just from getting a little older or whatever and there's nothing they can really do about it. In the end, they are the losers.

You will be forever in the minority which is why ultimately you cannot look to the outside world for understanding, support, motivation, etc...it ultimately has to come from within.
  • idnac74
    Options
    Friends request sent. I hope i can offer support and motivation :)
  • chicagodawn
    chicagodawn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I'm on my 45th day and love it so much! My husband is also working to lose weight but doesn't trike the tracking of MFP, etc...whereas I could talk about MFP and my new fitbit all day!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This site and my husband are the only places I have ever gotten any positive support. I worked with 8 obese women (all of my coworkers) at my last job and they actually told my boss that they didn't feel comfortable eating with me because I did stuff like ask for dressing on the side, and for some things to be cooked without butter and such. People ask me what I do to stay trim, but I lose them at "diet and exercise". it's easier just to let them think I'm naturally thin, so it's not their fault they are overweight.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You have no idea.
  • fancygiraffe
    Options
    I will be happy to support you! I need some MFP friends too!
  • Brina4777
    Brina4777 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can relate! My husband and best friends just look at me blankly when I tell them how unhappy I am with myself. Are they afraid? I don't know, but I need support and people who understand!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I would support you but I'd have to impregnate you first.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!! I know it really comes down to me and the changes needed to get results are up to me, but I appreciate those that are there to help encourage others. It was funny because only earlier today I had a friend tell me they missed me but my response was "I miss you too but I miss the old me more!" I stopped putting myself into unhealthy situations recently like Friday night's you'll now find me at the gym instead of the bar...etc. I didn't always use to be over weight, I played soccer, basketball, softball, you name it and I think that's what makes it tough on me. I was always active until my sister who was my best friend committed suicide. After that I shut down and I turned to food and alcohol as a comfort. The more I would party, the more I drank and that turned into the more crap I ate. I started my transformation back to a healthier me a couple years ago and I lost about 60 lbs. Last winter I was in a bad snowboarding accident and broke my humerus bone in my arm along with fracturing my tailbone. After 10 months of so called healing (i had tho changed doctor's because mine was an idiot) I was not healing and now had a lawsuit on my hands but my arm wasn't making progress and I ended up getting surgery 3 months ago. It's been a long and hard road but I'm back at it and gaining back strength every day. All I'm saying is I've done it before on mine own before and Ya I could do it again, but that way is so lonely and encouragement from others keeps you going. Since I've started back on my goals I don't hangout as much with my friends because the all like to go out to bars and drink when I'm like "let's go hiking in the morning!" Lol Anyway I'm sure you get the point, thank you for those who took me serious and are willing to team up with me on this journey.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I remember the exact moment when I realized that what I thought was going to make me feel better, was actually going to make me feel worse.

I had just failed a math test in college and I was so upset. I wanted to go home and drink and take a hot bath, but I somehow realized that this wasn't going to do anything. I really wanted to get a better grade next time. Feeling like that could happen is what would make me feel better, so I stayed up until nearly midnight studying the next section. I wound up getting 100 on that test. That realization of empowerment changed my life.

What is really going to make you feel better is achieving your goals. what are your goal? Go do it. This doesn't just go for weight loss.

Seems like you are on the right track :)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I remember the exact moment when I realized that what I thought was going to make me feel better, was actually going to make me feel worse.

I had just failed a math test in college and I was so upset. I wanted to go home and drink and take a hot bath, but I somehow realized that this wasn't going to do anything. I really wanted to get a better grade next time. Feeling like that could happen is what would make me feel better, so I stayed up until nearly midnight studying the next section. I wound up getting 100 on that test. That realization of empowerment changed my life.

What is really going to make you feel better is achieving your goals. what are your goal? Go do it. This doesn't just go for weight loss.

Seems like you are on the right track :)

I think this was very well said..Everyone struggles for years to achieve that loss (or any other goal) but it would seem that the ones who have the most success are the ones that have aha moment. It represents a complete shift in thinking. For me is when I was really starting to feel the physical effects of the poor health my weight was causing me and I changed.
    I look at those who were my former size, and i think back to how miserable I was and how much I really didnt care. I cannot imagine falling backwards.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I'm in need of support and motivation!! I try talking to my husband and friends about this website, working out, and eating healthier, but they don't really share the same passion for it. I got excited when I logged 10 days in a row, when I got my new heart rate monitor.. ect.. I try to share with them my struggles of over eating and why I'm unhappy with myself and they don't seem to get any of it. Anyway I'm just not getting much support in my life but by a couple of people and I feel like it's not enough. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful but I need support from others who are working on a common goal.

you can add me too. this is normal with your family, husband friends etc. IF someone isn't interested in losing weight or exercising then they wont be as excited as you are. don't let that curb your excitement. you have every reason to be glowing just because you too the first step for you to be more healthy and regain control over yoru food and activity levels. Pat yourself on the back for that. I am sos glad I began back in August. I was in denial for way too long. My clothes kept "shrinking" and i was out of things to wear due to them bing hid in the back of the closet over time. Yep that was me. I find that if you talk about your diet endeavors in smaller doses then you get a better response. Watch for this however: once they start to get on board and support you the bad and mis educated advice will start pouring in. Oh i say this from experience. Just take it one day at a time. Start a blog. That way you can get those feeling out and might see a bunch of others who are in the same exact boat.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much and ya I couldn't agree more. I'm just going to worry about me and what is going to make me happy. I did weigh myself this morning and I was down, so it shows my hard work is paying off.