Balancing and eating well on vacation??

Hi everyone I'm Tara!

Next week is my spring break and I am traveling to Florida with my best friend to stay with my grandparents! I know we will be going out to eat a few nights and my grandma will be cooking the other nights.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips/recommendations for trying to "diet" or eat well on my vacation! I know we will be doing one grocery shop when we first get there, so any recommendations for food to buy? We will be going to the beach almost everyday for the chunk of the day and sometimes we will go out to eat and others eat at the condo. Places we go to eat include hibachi, italian, seafood/sushi, etc.

I am currently 5"3 and 131 pounds, my goal is to get to 120 by summertime!

Thank you so much!

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Try not to go for fried foods, alcohol, or cream sauce dishes. Always remember it's not a big deal to leave food on the plate.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Balance out your choices. If grandma is making a heavier meal, add a side salad and have smaller portions of the rest of it. When you're out to dinner, look for grilled fish and veggies sides. Have a smaller lunch so you have more calories for dinner/snacks. Take lots of walks and get in plenty of active time on your trip and you'll be fine.
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    thank you! I'm usually good with not eat fried foods (I haven't had them in years) my weakness is usually desserts and ice cream
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    If you want ice cream then have 1 scoop and work it into your calories for the day. Adult beverages are my Achilles heel when we're on vacation, so that may be an area to be aware of as well.

Select a heathy, filling breakfast with eggs or oatmeal with fruit to set the stage for a good day. Try to limit pasta, bread, cream sauces to single servings only and pair it with a salad to fill you up.

I've been using an app called Healthy Out. You enter your diet preferences and it gives you all the restaurants nearby that have items meeting your preferences on their menu. You can then select the restaurant and specific food items to see cals, carbs, protein etc. Most chain restaurants will be in there but smaller mom & pop style places won't be.

Be active! Don't just lay on the sand, get in the water and plan. You'll burn a lot of cals without really trying to.
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    thank you so much! I am going to try and get that app!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Eat what you want, drink what you want...

Have fun...it's a week.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Eat what you want, drink what you want...

Have fun...it's a week.
    ^^^^
    This , but use the grill stay away from the fried stuff and salad is always good.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Set yourself for maintenance for the week. It's all about enjoying and not feeling guilty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I do the same thing I always do...I practice portion control and moderation and make overall good nutritional decisions. If you've been weighing out and measuring portions for awhile you should have a reasonably good idea of what a proper portion of various food items would be for you.

I also don't stress about special occasions too much...in the grand scheme of things, a week long vacation, holidays, birthdays, etc are pretty irrelevant to the greater whole.