Just need a little advice

Options
So, right now I weigh in at 280 pounds. I'm 22 years old, and 5ft 10in. I've been running for 60 minutes every day at a distance of 4.5-4.7 miles.

I've also been trying to consume between 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day, but no more than that. I've kept this routine for 7 days so far and I've been feeling very energetic. I was feeling very sore for the first 4 days, but I assume it was because I've never had a workout routine before. However, I now feel great(if not a little bit hungry) and I've lost roughly 2.2 pounds since I've started.

I'm just wondering if what I'm doing is healthy, or if it might be leading up to something bad. I've never attempted anything like this before, so I don't know if there could be any long term consequences.

I'd appreciate any help and advice. Thanks

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think your calories are way too low. I'm 5' 11" and started at 250 lbs. I lost at a good rate eating 1700-1800 a day, plus eating back my exercise calories. And at 43 y.o. my BMR is lower than yours at 22.

If you did no exercise, you could lose at a decent rate eating 2250 calories a day. Add in exercise and you're closer to 2600 per day.

ETA: these numbers are your estimated total daily energy expenditure(TDEE) - 20% as calculated by the IIFYM site at http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • ImStillNewAtThis
    Options
    The only problem is that I have the (probably unrealistic)goal of losing 60-70 pounds in the next 6 months. Which is why I'm cutting the calories down a bit too harshly.

But I plan to start lifting weights later this week and include it as part of my workout. So I will probably increase my intake to 2000 calories a day. It's just that right now I feel better than I have in a long time, so it feels like I'm doing it right, when in fact I really have no idea.

Thanks for your advice as well as the link. I'm looking into it right now.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    It looks like an awesome plan as long you continue to lift weights and eat about 1800 calories while eating about 180 grams of protein each day.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    There is no end, this a rest of your life dedication.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake is waaaay too low for how much you weigh. I understand that you want to lose weight fast, but on that low of a calorie intake, you're going to lose muscle and you don't want that, regardless of how you feel. Lose weight the right way, not the fast way.
  • ImStillNewAtThis
    Options
    My buddy lifts weights at the gym about 3 times a week and he has a supplement powder that he mixes with milk every day. It's ends up adding close to 1,000 calories to his daily diet and a lot(he still hasn't explained it to me fully) of protein. He says it's about $100 for him to buy a container a month. I'm not looking to lose much muscle so I plan to increase my protein intake by as much as necessary. I 've been trying to eat two eggs a day as well as other meat(chicken, beef, ect), but I know it's not enough.

Thanks for the tips.

*EDIT* Clarification. I'm not looking to lose any muscle. I'm definitely not interested in bodybuilding, but I would still like to tone my muscles. I have a bench press at home with up to 100 pounds in weights. It's enough to get me started until I get my bowflex set up.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Tip: If you eat too little, your body will start eating away at your muscle as well, not just fat! Try upping those calories a bit!
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think what you are doing is necessarily horrible, you are moving in the right direction. I'll tell you from my experience, however, that I was only able to lose and maintain a loss of 70 pounds (for a decade now) when I looked at it this way: if I woke up tomorrow with my ideal body, how would I take care of it for the rest of my life? What would be sustainable? And then I developed the habits that created a major lifestyle change. I would focus less on the 6 month goal and more on the rest of your life. It might take longer if you up the calories a bit but the results might also be more lasting.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The only problem is that I have the (probably unrealistic)goal of losing 60-70 pounds in the next 6 months. Which is why I'm cutting the calories down a bit too harshly.

But I plan to start lifting weights later this week and include it as part of my workout. So I will probably increase my intake to 2000 calories a day. It's just that right now I feel better than I have in a long time, so it feels like I'm doing it right, when in fact I really have no idea.

Thanks for your advice as well as the link. I'm looking into it right now.

Someone else might have mentioned something similar, but I just wanted to note that Iost 60 pounds in about 6 months eating at the goal MFP suggested, and eating back exercise calories. The goal was 1.5 pounds a week, but I ended up losing 2-3 pounds when I started out. You don't have to starve yourself to lose a decent amount. Even if you feel good right now, being at too low of a deficit can make the long-term more difficult and your body will start to wear down, get shaky, etc. Don't make yourself afraid to eat food; your body needs it.

P.S. Just so you know my stats, I'm 24, 5'9", started at 343 pounds and about 2200 calories a day, currently at 275, 1890 a day. Plus exercise calories.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    So, right now I weigh in at 280 pounds. I'm 22 years old, and 5ft 10in. I've been running for 60 minutes every day at a distance of 4.5-4.7 miles.

I've also been trying to consume between 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day, but no more than that. I've kept this routine for 7 days so far and I've been feeling very energetic. I was feeling very sore for the first 4 days, but I assume it was because I've never had a workout routine before. However, I now feel great(if not a little bit hungry) and I've lost roughly 2.2 pounds since I've started.

I'm just wondering if what I'm doing is healthy, or if it might be leading up to something bad. I've never attempted anything like this before, so I don't know if there could be any long term consequences.

I'd appreciate any help and advice. Thanks

That's less than I eat and I am female, 61yo and I don't run...I do walk pretty fast though. I eat between 1500-1600. I average losing 2lbs a week so far.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    as for is 70 lbs in 6 months achievable - I think this is a realistic (stretch) target. You will need to be committed and focused some will say it is too fast but I think that this is roughly 2.7 lbs per week is towards the mid-upper limit of what most would consider average healthy weight loss - the cardio / strength training will help with this. Personally I think you have your head n the right spot right now and you seem to have a sensible approach and strategy. You will gain confidence as you progress and will be able to tweak your diet as required. I don't go in for the protein drinks much I would prefer to get my nutrients from whole foods - It is just that protein drinks don't fill me but a salmon steak does.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My buddy lifts weights at the gym about 3 times a week and he has a supplement powder that he mixes with milk every day. It's ends up adding close to 1,000 calories to his daily diet and a lot(he still hasn't explained it to me fully) of protein. He says it's about $100 for him to buy a container a month. I'm not looking to lose much muscle so I plan to increase my protein intake by as much as necessary. I 've been trying to eat two eggs a day as well as other meat(chicken, beef, ect), but I know it's not enough.

Thanks for the tips.

Also, just a note. Eating more protein won't make you keep muscle. You'll also have to start strength training if you want to keep it. Muscles are a use it or lose it type of thing, and as you lose weight a good portion (About half according to my nutritionist) of the weight you lose will be muscle mass unless you actively work to keep it. The supplement powder isn't necessary unless you're really trying to build muscles, which it doesn't sound like you are at this point.

Edited: read more posts towards the beginning of the thread. I see you are starting to strength train. My bad!
  • ImStillNewAtThis
    Options
    I've been working for my father for the last 4 years, and my job has been extremely physical since I started. Most people I work with either have back problems or have trouble with anything over 80 pounds. During the summer we do a lot of landscaping involving cutting, transporting, and laying bundles of sod. They are usually between 50 and 80 pounds. During the winter, we mostly do snow removal and have some government contracts for the roads. I usually have to do a lot of salting which requires me to load 90 pound bags of salt almost daily. Technically I've been building up my muscles since I graduated, but I plan to take a firefighter course this September, and strength won't be enough. I'll try and eat more each day(2,000 to 2,200 calories), but in return I'll be working harder.

I haven't been active enough most of my life...so I've got some catching up to do.

*EDIT* I hate spelling errors.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake is waaaay too low for how much you weigh. I understand that you want to lose weight fast, but on that low of a calorie intake, you're going to lose muscle and you don't want that, regardless of how you feel. Lose weight the right way, not the fast way.
    yup.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I don't think what you are doing is necessarily horrible, you are moving in the right direction. I'll tell you from my experience, however, that I was only able to lose and maintain a loss of 70 pounds (for a decade now) when I looked at it this way: if I woke up tomorrow with my ideal body, how would I take care of it for the rest of my life? What would be sustainable? And then I developed the habits that created a major lifestyle change. I would focus less on the 6 month goal and more on the rest of your life. It might take longer if you up the calories a bit but the results might also be more lasting.

This right here.

You want a sustainable plan. Loosen up the goal for 6 months and extend it for a year, two years.

You have the right ideas. More food. Lifting. Enjoy life.
    You don't need crazy supplements... Just eat real food... High in protein.

Congrats on what you've done so far... And in advance for the success that is totally within your reach!

Eta... Note... If your total goal loss is 70 pounds... Then remember that the pace you lose at will slow as you get closer to goal weight. Expect that embrace that. Focus less on the number and more on size and measurements.

And if you haven't already done it...
    Take before pics in shorts (ones you can post in a success thread) - front, side, back.
    And take all your measurements.

I think you'll be amazed at how it turns out.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Hi! I'd suggest checking out the link a the end of this post. There are several links to key ideas in weight loss, nutrition, and preserving the lean body mass you have now. I've been here a little over a month and have learned a lot of stuff that I know is helping me out (I'm not in such a rush to lose it all so fast... just curious why you put a deadline of 6 months on yourself and if that is flexible). Right now I'm eating an average of 1700-2000 calories a day, 37 years old, weigh 187 and I exercise about 4 times a week for an hour each, sometimes more. I lose between 1 and 2 pounds a week so far and I'm cool with that (most of the time).

My general quick advice is similar to some others already posted. Slow down a little if you are able. Running 7 days a week, then incorporating lifting, also heavily restricting calories (and also it sounds like you have an active job as well) - you can do this for a little while, but the sooner you get to figuring out what your body needs in order to do what you want, and in the optimum way, the better. Don't forget rest days. Eat more, and eat well.

Anyway, check out the link, it might take you hours and hours but it will be worth it. And good luck! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again