Stevia VS Truvia

Options
I think stevia is great. I’ve been using it for about 7 years now. I also use Truvia sometimes as well, but they are NOT the same thing. I’ve been seeing some statements about Truvia on the boards that are not exactly accurate. Cargill’s advertising, pertaining to Truvia, is kind of misleading. As far as it being a “natural” sweetener, I think Cargill is allowed to call Truvia natural for the same reasons pizza is now a vegetable, because it meets some minimal government requirements. How you feel about this depends upon what your intentions are regarding your food. So, for people who aren’t familiar with stevia, or who think that Truvia is an “all natural” sweetener, or even primarily stevia, I wanted to post some general information.

Green Leaf Stevia Powder:
Stevia is a South American shrubby herb that is grown for its sweet tasting leaves. The leaves are green. So in it’s purest form, stevia leaf powder will be green. Made from the whole leaves of the stevia herb, the leaves are collected, dried and milled into a fine powder at low temperatures to protect the nutrients of the plant. If you are very particular about natural food in your diet and want things as close to the way they came out of the ground as possible, this is the variety of stevia powder that you would probably want.

White Stevia Powder:
Similar to the way that white sugar is a processed version of sugar cane, white stevia powder is a processed version of the stevia leaf. It is a chemically processed powder that has been removed from the stevia leaf, just like white sugar is just the very sweet sucrose removed from sugar cane or sugar beets. The sweet chemical extract is a glyoside called stevioside. Stevia leaf plants contain about a 10% concentration of stevioside. Most white powders contain an extract that is up to 80-90% steviocide. Science “improving” on nature. Also many of the white stevia powders use large amounts of maltodextrin to cut the strong sweet flavor of the stevia extract. Maltodextrin is usually derived from GMO feed corn, using chemicals, bleaching agents and other very-unnatural processes. So if you are looking for a no calorie sweetener, more natural than Splenda or saccharine, but aren’t particularly into the whole unprocessed concern, then you may prefer white stevia powder over green leaf powder.

Truvia:
Truvia is actually a combination of erythritol (the primary ingredient, hence first on the ingredient list on the label) and rebiana. It looks and tastes more like sugar, sort of. Which is probably because it is primarily made from a sugar alcohol.
Erythritol, the primary ingredient in Truvia is a sugar alcohol, normally made from glucose that is created from corn or wheat starch. To do this, the starch is first treated with enzymes (special proteins) that break the starch down into glucose. This glucose is then mixed with yeast, such as Moniliella pollinis or Trichosporonoides megachliensis, and the yeast ferments the glucose to form erythritol. The fermented mixture is then heated (in order to kill off the yeast) an dried (by boiling off all the water) so that erythritol crystals are formed. These crystals are then washed (to remove impurities), redissolved, purified again (using a special kind of chemical filter) and finally are isolated in solid form, at which point the erythritol is safe for human consumption.
Rebiana, also known as Reb-A is purified extract of stevia, developed by Japanese scientists back in 1971. Although developed by scientists, it passes whatever qualifications have been established, so rebiana products are allowed to use the “natural” label.
Like I said, I use it sometimes, but it’s NOT the pure and natural sweetener they claim it is and it’s not exactly stevia since the erythritol outweighs the stevia in the makeup.

I hope this was helpful to some of you. It is information I keep in mind when deciding on a particular sweetener at a particular time.

Replies

• DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey. Thanks for all that information. I have been using Stevia (the white stuff) for a long time. But sometimes I will get a little too much in my drink or on my cereal and the tastes isn't the sweetness I expect. ehehe Lately, I have been using Truvia. It looks and tastes as good as Splenda and If I use a little more it doesn't change the taste.

But I didn't know how was processed or the difference between it and Stevia. Now that I know about the differences, it is something I will take into account when choosing which to use. Thanks again for pointing out the differences.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yeah when you put in too much of the powdered stuff it's almost bitter. That's why I like the Truvia in tea and stuff. But when I found out how processed it was and that it's more erythritol than stevia, I was bummed.
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just found some Pure Stevia Extract Plus Luo Han. This is another product by KAL. Under the Other Ingedients it lists Maltodextrin and Calcium Silicate.

What do you know of this product? What is your opinion on it? I just put one packet in my Trader Joe's Unsweetened 100% Cranberry juice with my Flax Seed Meal and water. It made the juice very sweet. Next packet will go on my cereal tomorrow morning. ehehe
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've been debating buying a stevia plant, dehydrating the leaves, and grinding them...but wasn't sure if it would taste alright...... :laugh:
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What about the liquid Stevia drops? I'd rather just do the evaporated cane sugar crystals or agave myself, but my dad is diabetic and doesn't trust agave. So I'm trying to find a decent sub to keep around the house for him
  • undeclaredscott
    undeclaredscott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stevia drops? Stevia drops are great, except for one problem. It is very difficult to sweeten the right amount with it. I used to use Stevia drops in my tea. One drop gave my tea a pretty good sweetness. But if I accidentally put two drops in, the result was so sweet it was bitter, so I either had to dilute more tea in or throw out the drink.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good alternative. But the precision is very tough to get right.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    The liquid stevia drops (no glycerin etc added) that are flavored are amazing (especially in greek yogurt).

My favorites are english toffee, coconut, hazelnut, and vanilla creme. The lemon was a little gross.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Truvia, but I don't really use sugar in much of anything other than my coffee, tea, or oatmeal. I've tried Stevia in the green and white powder forms and both taste weird to me... if that makes any sense.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    As far as it being a “natural” sweetener, I think Cargill is allowed to call Truvia natural for the same reasons pizza is now a vegetable, because it meets some minimal government requirements.

In the states, "natural" is a completely unregulated term, much like "nutritionist" or "therapist". Any business can call anything they produce "natural" if they so choose.

Thanks for the interesting information! I always think it is interesting what gets labeled as "natural" and what isn't, regardless of whether I agree with eating it or not.
  • thamm5
    thamm5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I want to try that and the monk fruit sweetner(which I hear is much sweeter so be careful!)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

I use stevia, but it doesn't taste exactly like sugar. There's a slight bitterness to it although it doesn't bother me too much.

Edited: Whoops..looks like someone pushed up an old thread.
  • mlubin
    mlubin Posts: 1
    Options
    I started using SweetLeaf, which is the purest form of stevia I could find at a regular grocery store. I have avoided the local health food store because the prices there are over the top. SweetLeaf has no artificial ingredients and no bitterness or after taste. I use one to one and a half packets in a 32 oz glass of iced herbal tea. I also buy plain Greek yogurt and mix two packets in a 6 oz serving. It definitely makes it taste better. The only problem with SweetLeaf is its price. $4 for a box of 35 packets but it is certainly better than using the alternatives.
  • s4232806
    Options
    In Australia I use natvia which is the most natural and 'whole' form of stevia but now that I have moved to the UK there is no nativa, so I am debating whether to buy white stevia crystals or stevia powder (green stuff). My question is, what is the taste and calorie variation?
    Natvia/stevia is almost 0 calorie, tastes disgusting by itself, but good in cakes/greek yoghurt etc. How does the green stuff compare? Similar? Less sweet? Same calories? Any advice great :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In Australia I use natvia which is the most natural and 'whole' form of stevia but now that I have moved to the UK there is no nativa,

http://www.natvia.co.uk/ ?

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/4/Natvia-Pty-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_205274.aspx