Weird appetite

Options
The past few days I have been staying full longer and feeling less hungry, however I am finding myself lower and lower on my calorie intake. So basically, I have tons of calories left, and I have been getting urges to indulge myself too. I had over 700 calories remaining when I got home from work. So I ate two Godiva truffles and a serving of mini Wal-Mart sugar cookies. I have been drinking tons of water. So why all of a sudden am I not as hungry even though I am taking in less calories. For the first couple weeks I couldn't wait to get to the break room to chow down and was even having hunger pains.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could be because your body is now used to expecting less food.

Are you eating more protein? That tends to leave people feeling less hungry than sugary carbs.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies adjust to the lower calorie intake. And, the stomach adjusts as well, and I've found if I eat healthier, I don't really get the cravings I used to. I would be sure to keep your calories above 1,200, or more, depending on your height. Could just be that you're not as focused on food as you used to be? I don't know... for me it gets easier as I go along. And, congrats on your success so far! ????
  • kyven21
    kyven21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did have a couple slices of cajun chicken breast for lunch, and there was some chicken chunks in my spinach alfredo at dinner. I had salted, dried sugar snap peas and caramel rice cakes as snacks. Also had some strawberries. Had mac and cheese with my alfredo. I don't know. It's weird lol, but I figure if I am still losing weight with my calorie goal then the extra calories are free for me to indulge right?
  • kyven21
    kyven21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies adjust to the lower calorie intake. And, the stomach adjusts as well, and I've found if I eat healthier, I don't really get the cravings I used to. I would be sure to keep your calories above 1,200, or more, depending on your height. Could just be that you're not as focused on food as you used to be? I don't know... for me it gets easier as I go along. And, congrats on your success so far! ????

I definitely don't think about food ALL the time anymore. I used to want to eat all the time, and now I eat because I know my body needs the fuel. It actually helps me to enjoy healthy foods and snacks rather than wanting fattening stuff all the time. It also makes it so much more rewarding to know that I can treat chocolates as a dessert rather than an every day all day food haha. Thank you for the comment as well! =)
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did have a couple slices of cajun chicken breast for lunch, and there was some chicken chunks in my spinach alfredo at dinner. I had salted, dried sugar snap peas and caramel rice cakes as snacks. Also had some strawberries. Had mac and cheese with my alfredo. I don't know. It's weird lol, but I figure if I am still losing weight with my calorie goal then the extra calories are free for me to indulge right?

Yup
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way! No cravings for sweet stuff, I think it's the protein? I'm not sure but yeah used to be so hungry but now I'm just eating to fuel myself as well. I'm not a snacker but now I kinda do just because I find myself under calories for the day.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    A serious question do u lift ?

Sounds like your metabolism is slowing down because u consuming less food
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I definitely don't think about food ALL the time anymore. I used to want to eat all the time, and now I eat because I know my body needs the fuel. It actually helps me to enjoy healthy foods and snacks rather than wanting fattening stuff all the time. It also makes it so much more rewarding to know that I can treat chocolates as a dessert rather than an every day all day food haha. Thank you for the comment as well! =)

sounds like you don't have anything to worry about... maybe you're learning to listen to your body's actual hunger signals instead of more psychologically based cravings for food? (e.g. habit, comfort eating etc)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I feel the same too, and I think it's because I'm now eating more protein and adjusting to smaller portions. I used to be ravenous around mid morning, but now I have pretty much cut out my mid morning snack. I figure as long as you are still giving your body what it needs, you can safely save up those calories you don't eat for a rainy day :-)
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with people when they say " your body adjusts". I know mine has. I usually have around 1000 cal left over most days ( I do have my cheat night once a week :) ) But i'm eating under my goal of 1900, plus i exercise pretty much everyday( cardio and weights). My cravings are gone, i'm not always waiting for the next meal, maybe because i eat smaller amounts 6-7 times a day( lots of protein) .

Keep up the great work everyone !
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I feel different too. I don't dwell on food, I eat when I'm genuinely hungry and my cravings for sweets are gone. I feel like I can live on much less food than I used to and I'm fine with that...I feel more in control.