eating plain cooked oatmeal

Does anyone eat oatmeal plain after being cooked? (Not pain as in raw)
How is it?

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    How is it?

It's great! You can also cut up some fresh fruit (strawberries, apples) and add some raisins and nuts to it. No need for sugar or brown sugar.

It's one of the healthiest breakfast meals you can aspire to eat. (Just stay away from the instant oatmeals).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    How is it?

It's great! You can also cut up some fresh fruit (strawberries, apples) and add some raisins and nuts to it. No need for sugar or brown sugar.

It's one of the healthiest breakfast meals you can aspire to eat. (Just stay away from the instant oatmeals).

It's not plain if you put stuff in it, is it?
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    I'm guessing you mean plain as in not instant and not pre-flavored? I eat it every single morning (and look forward to it!).

My favorite mix:
    1/4 c rolled oats
    2 T oat bran
    1 T chia seeds
    1/2 c almond milk + 1/2 c water

Throw this on the stove and heat to boiling.. at that point ad:
    1/2 sliced banana
    1/4 c frozen blueberries

Add spices as you please.. i usually go for cinnamon, and if i'm feeling ambitious i'll add vanilla and cardamom. Top with nut butter or peanut flour (PB2) for protein.

Macro-wise, as long as you add your nut butter, its very balanced. so good.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    It's really plain so I don't eat it like that. I don't use quick oatmeal. I use old fashioned rolled oats. . I add fruit (often bananas) or crush up Emerald almonds and add a little honey or stevia. I eat it often and like it much better than pre-fab oatmeal. It tastes good and just feels comforting!
  • Blech, no...

I like baked oatmeal but otherwise to me it tastes like flavorless mush.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    I don't mind eating it. I tend to have a cup of tea with it.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Its the only kind I've ever eaten...never tried instant stuff...I just serve it with milk and a little raw sugar. Make sure you add a pinch of salt when cooking though...otherwise it's tasteless and gunky and the texture and taste can be improved if you cook it in part milk/part water.
  • LeighTaylor97
    LeighTaylor97 Posts: 16 Member
    I can't do it. I've tried. I either have to add fresh berries or brown sugar. But I am generally bad with bland food.
  • KrisBitz
    KrisBitz Posts: 23 Member
    I suck at it. I concocted this whole bowl of mushy yuckiness....trust me it was BAD. I added brown sugar and cinnamon, and love and it was just awful!

But I am sure my mixture was just really off...I am sure there is a good recipe out there you may follow!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i cant do plainplain. i usually make it with water, but i always add something to it, fruit, protein powder, peanut butter and jelly, butter and brown sugar, *shrug*
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    I can't do it plain, I can do it with a mix of seeds plus soy milk, sugar and some dried fruit.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Love it plain! But then, I like plain yoghurt too. No fruits or anything necessary for me.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Possibly edible if made with full fat milk, but I would much rather have something else.

It's much nicer with cinnamon, raisins and brown sugar.

Why don't you want to add anything too it? It won't add on many calories to add a little sweetness.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    If I want a carb based breakfast I would only ever eat porridge, made with good organic jumbo rolled oats. Cooked in microwave with skinny milk for four minutes then add a couple of tea spoons of maple syrup, loverly.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    I prefer not to have it super plain, but I do eat the whole grain sort with water - but then I add cinnamon and a bit of sweetner ;)
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    @bonoeuf:
    What do you eat now? Breakfast is my only 'carb-y' meal, and I've been thinking of alternatives, but getting up and cooking eggs just isn't an option that early and fast in the morning! And I just can't seem to eat enough youghurt to keep me full for any lenght of time, I think it's the consitensy that just need to be eaten slow!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    cant do it plain at all. aleast some honey or few raisans
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    @Amblight, mainly eggs, or eggs and bacon as a treat. I can cook a three egg omelette in the time it take the coffee to brew. Pan already on the stove, eggs straight into the pan, whisk as I turn the heat on, add flavour, soy sauce etc if needed. Job done in a few minutes.

With oats, the bigger the oats the better the texture, only cook it for a few minutes otherwise it gets really gooey.
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Growing up, mum would make porridge with milk, then serve it sprinkled with salt. I grew up thinking that was how porridge was served.

I was in my late teens when I discovered that you could make sweet porridge. It changed my life. Now my favourite is plain quick oats with LSA, chia seeds, dried berries, yogurt. Maybe a touch of honey if I want it sweeter.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    It's okay plain. I mean yeah it's bland, but to me it's sort of similar to eating plain rice with no seasonings or anything. Which I like as well.