Hungrier when I eat breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• victoriabair
    victoriabair Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're hungrier if you only eat breakfast because your eating earlier than you would lunch so there's more time passed if you ate breakfast at say 900 than there is if you ate lunch at 1200...
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I'm ready to gnaw an arm off by about 11am.
    I wake up so HUNGRY! Don't know how you don't eat!
    Afternoons I'm not so hungry, and I don't often feel like dinner..

I am the exact opposite. I always wake up not-so-hungry. Doesn't matter if I am sleeping for ten hours---I have to be awake for awhile before I start to feel hungry.

Back when I was on a normal schedule, I also did not really eat breakfast when I woke up because like others here, I found that I'd be starving the rest of the day, regardless of what I ate. (Low carb, high carb, etc. Didn't matter.) Then I thought to myself, "Why am I forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry? Why not just wait until I'm actually HUNGRY?"
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not an expert but been told it has to do with insulin levels spiking after eating a meal mainly loaded in carbs or sugars. So it might be what you are eating. I get the same thing if i eat a huge carb loaded dinner ( holidays etc) i usually wake up starving.

I dont buy the whole breakfast thing either. Though studies will tell you a healthy breakfast is key to long term weightloss.

My experience is this: when I was single i was thinner. When i was single I' d sleep in, wake up make coffee ,lounge for hours then think about eating. Might be lunch by then.

Now as a mom I am up earlier, have to be around food ( kids) and eat breakfast and alot. I am fatter now. Also my husband was out of work for a year, he'd kept getting fresh bread, rolls from the baker every other morning during the week. We were having a Sunday type breakfast 4 times a week! My body did not burn this off because " what you eat before noon you burn during the day " does not work. Especially if you are hungry by noon and eat and are hungry by 6pm and eat again. I am guessing by breakfast i added 500 cal a day and over a year gained 15 lbs. Now i stay away from big breakfasts or some at all.
  • Toms_healthish_food
    Options
    Well, technically, breakfast is whatever the first meal of the day is, because that is when you break the fast.

Jumped in this thread to back up this person right here.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I love it and am normally hungry in the morning - but if you're not and you feel better having bigger meals later in the day it doesn't matter as long as you are staying within your calories - whatever works for you :)
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah me too - which is why I'm not going to eat any today. Also I prefer to save the cals for bigger meals later!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No. Breakfast IS the most important meal. It sets you up for the whole day. You need something well rounded enough. Protein, carb, and good amount of fiber.

Lol. This is incorrect.

Totally incorrect. Clearly, whether you NEED or thrive with breakfast is an individual issue. Some will "faint" if they don't eat by 11; others have no appetite before then.

I rarely eat breakfast. Well, to clarify, I will have a cup of coffee with heavy cream in the morning and then won't eat again until 11-1, when I have a Quest bar or some eggs. I eat plenty (almost always more than 1800 calories; sometimes quite a bit more) but most of that is eaten after about 3 pm. If I ate more earlier in the day (when I'm not even hungry!) I'd STILL eat about the same amount at night, and would be a lot hungrier the rest of the time.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what you have been told your entire life, breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. No meal is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast does not "jump start your metabolism", your metabolism does not stop. I am the same way, when I used to eat breakfast, I would be very hungry all day, and eating breakfast means your other 2 meals are going to be smaller granted your total daily calorie intake is the same. I'm usually not even hungry until around 11:00am anyway, so a couple years ago I stopped eating breakfast and now I split my daily calorie intake between two big meals and I'll never go back. It makes no difference in terms of body composition or overall health. Eat as many or as few meals as you'd like, it makes absolutely zero difference, all that matters is total daily calorie intake and macronutrient intake.

^ this.

Well, technically, breakfast is whatever the first meal of the day is, because that is when you break the fast.

^ and this.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I usually have no appetite when I wake up, and if I force myself to eat something, I'm so incredibly hungry halfway through work. I don't get any breaks to eat anything at work (I teach in an English school where kids come for lessons after school, so we don't have "lunch breaks" or any sort of break between classes. I also don't start work until 3pm).

On the flip side, if I just eat something really small (if I'm hungry, that is), and drink some water and tea, I'm hot hungry until it's time to go home at 9pm.

I've tested this a few times, with my many different work schedules over the past year, and it's always come out the same: if I eat early in the day, I eat more calories, and bad ones at that. If I wait to eat until I'm actually hungry, I eat fewer calories, and healthier ones.

Everyone is different, though, and just like everything else - what works for some will NOT work for everyone!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    I get so hungry during the day.

I have learned now that I don't need to eat breakfast anymore, its total calories for the day that counts.
    Ive been drinking my morning coffee and first meal is lunch. Weight is still coming off so BAH to the breakfast theory :smile:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It depends whether I have work or not and what shift I'm on as to what time I eat breakfast.

I'm usually hungry about 2 hours after waking up. If I'm at work on an early shift, I'm at my desk 2 hours after waking up and I'm not allowed to eat at my desk, so I will usually force myself to have some kinda breakfast.
    Today I don't start until 14:00 and can actually eat 2 hours after I'm awake when I am truly hungry.

I generally eat all day long anyway, eat around my sedentary calories and use exercise and general daily activities as my burn as I'm not sedentary all day long. :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same - get very, very hungry the rest of the day if I had breakfast at a breakfasty time. But I got into the habit of nibbling on something first thing. Then I started fainting just before lunch and realised I was probably just eating too many sugary carbs at breakfast (sticky buns are not a breakfast food for me!) Instead I swapped it out for protein and fat (bacon or black pudding and scrambled eggs) and feel a lot better - it gives me the energy for my lunchtime walk (before I eat any lunch) and my blood sugar seems to be more stable throughout the day.

But what works for one person doesn't work for another, and what works for one person at one time may not work always - so if breakfast causing you to falter in your goals, ditch it.

Good luck!
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    Hello..was wondering if you all could give me some input. Ive noticed that if I eat breakfast, I'm ravenous the rest of the day whereas if I eat my first meal about noon, my appetite is severely decreased. I understand the reasons why breakfast is important but if it makes me hungrier, would skipping it be a detriment? I've been doing some research but just looking for personal experiences.

What are you eating for breakfast?

I noticed back in the day when I ate cereal for breakfast, I was famished by lunch. Now I eat nuts or an egg omelet. It really holds me over.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. Most weekdays, coffee for breakfast at 6:00am is sufficient, then a snack at 9:30am and lunch at noon.