Hands smell like hot garbage

Options
LOL..

Anyone else use weighted hand gloves while doing cardio? I do.. and after a session of Turbo Jam my hands smell PUTRID! Its quite nauseating and it takes FOREVER to wash the sick smell away! Anyone know have this problem and know how to clean them??

:)

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! The title of your post cracked me up!! Have you tried washing your hands with lemon? That's suppose to work with onion smell. I imagine it would also work with hot garbage smell too.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I have no answer to help you.
    However I wanted to give you a million points for best post title ever.
    ~ Sara

I hope to buy some weighted gloves soon...perhaps not that particular brand though ;0)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    literally lol'ed when i read this. i've never used weighted gloves, but maybe use some antibacterial hand sanitizer? I love that stuff and it usually does the job when i've needed it.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ur gloves need to be washed my boyfriend works at a warehouse and when he put the gloves on they some times stink so he would wash the or throw them away!
  • snow4dayz
    Options
    Reminds me of my Carhartt hat... Had to wash the dang thing with buttermilk to get the smell out of it. Girlfriend happiness +10

Give it a shot.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    To remove the smell of onion and garlic off your hands, rub them with or on stainless steel ( like the inside of your kitchen sink) It might work for this, too, or scrub your hands with baking soda, that's the best odor remover I know.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love your title!

Have you tried febreeze? That's what I use on my STANK running sneakers!

I'd try the washing machine too if they're cloth material.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, if they are neoprene, you have to gently stretch the material often to get that new neoprene smell out of the closed pores, and wash with some antibacterial dish soap. That smell should go away after a couple weeks. Also, rub your hands with a little liquid fabric softenor afterwards, then wash. That works wonders...even on gasoline smell after pumping gas. ;-)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I wash my gloves regularly (weekly) with my gym stuff to clean out any smell.

As a hockey player however I can say that hand sweat does accumulate in gloves and will smell after use.

A buddy of mine combated this problem by washing his hands with toothpaste after a game to combat the smell of his gloves.

Sounds silly but it works.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You may be able to wash your hands in vinegar and depending on the fabric of the gloves spray or wipe them down with a little vinegar? (I'd look into this more first, it's just an idea! I have no idea if it would work...) It could help with the mustiness and kill whatever has been growing in there in the damp sweaty darkness. Or maybe talc powder or something to dry them out really good in between. Can you get them turned inside out? A good day in the sun might do the same thing.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    BAHAHA the title of this made me laugh. I'm sorry I have no ideas to help you, except that I can relate. My daughter plays soccer and when she takes off her shin guards, I about vomit!!!! It's the sweat that accumilates that gives it that aroma. I looked up how to clean the shin guards and they said using baking soda and water would help. Good luck!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I use Fabreze extra strength spray on my Taekwondo sparring gear and gym bags.

I've been wanting to try Febreze SPORT Extreme
    Odor Eliminator spray, but haven't been able to find it in stores yet. Maybe I'll get it online.

Oh... that just gave me a great idea. I think I will drench my 12 year old son in Fabreze tonight. He keeps coming home from school after PE smelling like a men's locker room (not that I've spent time in one).
  • Spudnuts
    Options
    Have you tried rubbing your hands with a week old dead fish?
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Have you tried rubbing your hands with a week old dead fish?

LMAO!!!!
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Try putting lotion on your hands before you put on the weighted gloves, so the stink doesn't stick. :bigsmile:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What about sprinkling the inside of the gloves with a little corn starch or baking soda. Baking soda when you store them, for sure. To absorb and to suck out smell. The vinegar solution washing will help with bacteria, which can cause a stink.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    what about putting powder on your hands before you crawl into your gloves? or deoderant...don't tell anyone, but i have to put pit stick on my finger before i put my family ring on...my hands sweat really bad and my family ring is hollow, so the sweat just pools under my ring and gives me a rash...i'd try pit stick for sure
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Lol I get this in my boxing gloves, my cousin has been going 6 months longer than I have and when we're doing partner exercises and take our gloves off the smell of her hands make me gag, lol! In fact they have a spare glove closet that is one of the most disgusting smelling places ever, the girl that goes in to get the gloves always comes out gagging! Lol
    Anyway, back to your post, lol. The Professional Kickboxers at my club use Lisol (sp?) they put it on their hands and rub the inside of the gloves and let em dry out, you have to do it fairly often but it works, kills the bacteria too. As for your hands, hand sanitizer in your gym bag will help until you can scrub em with some dish soap!
    Oh and someone said powder, I have this stuff called Monkey Butt (not lying lol) and it is to prevent chafing and lessen sweat when exercising, it works pretty well...but in the end my gloves still stink, I think its just gonna happen lol! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Try washing your hands and gloves with white vinegar. I used to skate flat track roller derby and white vinegar got the smell out of my knee pads & sweat bands.
    Good luck!